It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Group Sues NYC, Bloomberg in Protest of WTC Memorial Cross

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
...i dont think religious symbology at the wtc memorial / museum is a constitutional issue - because - perceiving that cross as religious symbology is a personal choice... besides, more importantly, isnt it on privately owned property, not government owned property?...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I'm an atheist, and normally I'm all for the taking down of religious symbols but even I have to admit that I don't see a cause to sue because of this cross. The reason I really don't see a reason to sue is simple, the cross is made out of girders that were found that way. It isn't like the cross was built by some religious group, it was found that way and thus, to my mind, can only be INTERPRETED as a religious symbol by those looking at it that way. To me its just some steel sticking out of the ground and the fact that some people see it as the symbol of their religion doesn't bother me. I'm not gonna ask math teachers to stop using plus signs if students want to imagine Jesus nailed to the middle of their math problems.

So I really don't agree with the atheist group's decision here. The only thing I could see them being upset about is that the cross might make it seem, to Muslims, like there's a holy war going on. Like we're saying the United States are Christians who were attacked by Muslims on 911. I could maybe see protesting this verbally or even in person but actually taking legal action seems like its a bit much. I don't see violation of church and state here either or at least the ground to claim one would be tenuous at best (it would be based on the government owning the land the cross is on, even then I'm not sure a lawsuit is in order).
edit on 28-7-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What a bunch of hypocrites these athiests are.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well i guess that is your silly little opinion.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How dare the dead be honored and respected with a worldwide well known grave marker
How is this a viiolation of the seperation of church and state?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Idunno...I find the "cross" lame as hell. And possbily, a symbol of an unneeded sacrifice.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm an atheist, and this is ridiculous.

This behaviour is comparable to fundie christians.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Seriously, I think Atheists need to conduct a reality check. How exactly is this hurting them? I think it is rather odd though that I have never once seen or heard of an Atheist group protesting anything Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu. They always pick on Christians.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
if religous people can kick up a fuss about things and protest and complain their beliefs are not being allowed or listened to then i see no problem with atheists doing it either. afterall there are some who argue atheism is a belief, just like anyother, therefore this belief must be considered to in these matters.

personally i would have no problem with a few crosses being put in or whatever if i had a say in it, but i do not, but obviously some people do have a problem with it because it is against their beliefs.

not that i think it is a belief personally, but others keep insisting it is and as such i will treat it like one and insist it has the same rights and is able to do the same as any other belief based community or entity. atheist church is next...... maybe.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by lifeform11

firstchurchofatheism.com...

Too late. They also want chaplains in the military.

edit on 7/28/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

lol, thanks for that, i had no idea.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

I'm certain that you never heard of how the Department of Veteran Affairs offers a emblem for atheists and other religions other than Cross-ianity
Are you suggesting that there are only crosses at the Arlington National cemetery?
Is it not evident that people of many beliefs are identified at the cemetery?

There is a significant difference between equality and advancing a religion, apparently not a lot of people care to think much about that but talk about it anyway.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Neverseenit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

So if there isn't religion everywhere, it is supporting atheism?
Whether you like it or not, religion is limited in this country,
Example: you cannot kill someone because your religion tells you.
Thus far, some states allow the deaths of children through faith healing, some don't.

The atheist community does have an emblem that could be displayed among other religious symbols.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join