It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The No-Kids-Allowed Movement is Spreading

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by 2012srb

If you were my parent you wouldnt be conscious to think about what happens after the first hit. Im not some little slave that can be thrown around and I dont care that they are my parent I shouldnt have to be forced into doing things I wouldnt want to

You shouldn't but you will be, your entire working life.

Or you actually enjoy paying taxes?

Just one of the lessons good childhood disciplin brings, things won't always (hardly ever) be/go the way YOU want it, live with it.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IceFlower
reply to post by 27jd

Anyone who chooses to cater to the non-children base. What a simpleton view you have - the ones that dont't want kids in a restaurant are the ones that have no one to have kids with. Please.........

Again, this is not about kids in a restaurant, this is about ILL-BEHAVED kids in a restaurant and the PARENTS not giving a hoot about how the kids are disrupting other diners experience.

No, this is about BANNING kids in various places. Started with airlines, discussion moved to restaurants, etc. ALL kids, not just the screaming ones, for many here. I don't want RUDE kids around, either, but that's a far cry from banning children. For the record, my KIDS don't want the rude ones around, either. They roll their eyes and look disgusted at bad behavior.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't have children of my own but have worked with them for many years. I guess I just don't notice the crying and fussing as much as some people do. I only eat in a "fancy" restaurant once a year or so (if that), and so far so good. Actually the last time was a few weeks ago with a friend that I hadn't seen in many years and we were being so goofy that it's a good thing some of you weren't there because you would probably have complained.
We got into a laughing mode and couldn't stop and it was like everything was funny. But we did have a good time.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

reply to post by 27jd

Anyone who chooses to cater to the non-children base. What a simpleton view you have - the ones that dont't want kids in a restaurant are the ones that have no one to have kids with. Please.........

Again, this is not about kids in a restaurant, this is about ILL-BEHAVED kids in a restaurant and the PARENTS not giving a hoot about how the kids are disrupting other diners experience.

No, this is about BANNING kids in various places. Started with airlines, discussion moved to restaurants, etc. ALL kids, not just the screaming ones, for many here. I don't want RUDE kids around, either, but that's a far cry from banning children. For the record, my KIDS don't want the rude ones around, either. They roll their eyes and look disgusted at bad behavior.

Well to be honest banning kids from a venue is the choice (and RIGHT) of the venue's owner.

Just like it's the parents plight to keep their kids under control. Good that your kids aren't brats as i'm getting it from your posts, but i'm afraid they'll have to pay the price for other people's bad parenting. I wouldn't care too much about it to begin with.
A restaurant or whatever that makes the choice of not allowing kids in will not JUST do this, since it might cost customers, so in all fairness towards business' that have this rule, it's there for a reason probably and i dont think they'll have french fries with a toy on the menu anywayz.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

*snip*
The generation I am in does not like being hit. I want to kill my mom anytime she threatens me or tries to hit me. Sorry, But if you can hit me, B*** i can hit you back.

My father is dead.

My mothr works 1 job all day for 3 kids and to feed an extra cousin

She is the only one who pays the taxes and the bills

She constantly tells me that I have to work hard to get a job

At the same time she is currently trying ot finish college.

Before you come and tell me how to act and how I should act, I am not from any genereation "Win". I am disciplined without having to be beat. It doesn't take a hand for a child to realize how harsh the world is. I look down upon anyone who lays hands on tehir children, and I always intervene when my mother tries to hit my little sister. It disgusts me that you have to beat sense into something like it had no mind. I learned the truths of the world by myself, not with the help of a leather belt.

So.....you say your mother is working very hard, trying to raise several kids, and finish school, but you would call her "b****", and hit her, if she smacked you for getting out of line? Severe lack of appreciation there, or what??? You want "want to kill" her? For raising you, supporting you? THAT disgusts me. Seriously. Are you talking a spanking? Something that's GONE five minutes later? Or actual ABUSE? That means marks there hours later, welts, etc. As for work, she's feeding five, counting herself, and you think she's out of line expecting you to help, if you are old enough for a job? Gee, maybe you should just move out.

Seriously, this is the sort of thing that's started some people here wanting to ban kids.....
edit on 29-7-2011 by LadyGreenEyes because: explanation

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
People used to make more concessions for kids years ago. Most movie theaters and churches had glassed off cry rooms for parents to take their rambunctious kids. Now we have both business and parents cutting corners which amounts to unruly kids who are driving everyone nuts to the point where the kids are being banned. You really can't blame the businesses for doing that, either. Maybe an airline should look at blocking off & soundproofing the back section of the planes for families with small children - charge an extra $30 per ticket and provide a few kid-friendly things to keep the tykes busy. They probably would make a killing almost everyone with kids has to fly eventually.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I almost hate to admit this, but kid-banning is probably a good idea. (Says the mom of a 4-year old and an 8-month old.) On the VERY rare occasions I get to go out on a date with my husband, it kills me when we get stuck next to a booth filled with screaming kids who think it's funny to turn around and stare at us the whole time. And the parents think nothing of it. And I was blown away when we went to see the movie '300' several years ago, and this family walks in and sits right in front, complete with an infant in a stroller, and four other kids probably ranging in age from 2 to 10. Because yeah, toddlers should really be watching violent war movies. (And of course the experience included several bouts of crying and fussing and screaming at the children.)

I'm pretty libertarian, so I don't know that the gov't should be involved, but if private businesses want to institute such bans, let them. I'd probably (most definitely) pick a place like that for my date nights if I was guaranteed some peace and quiet for an hour or two. There are restaurants that give out balloons that kids should be going to (and will probably enjoy better).

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Don't ban "children." Ban parents accompanied by children, sorta like a "dress" code.

My wife and I raised seven children and I admit it, sometimes we'd make a hellatious mess, but we never had any screamers or tantrum-throwers. Sometimes we'd have to get more than one booth, but made sure the older kids at a separate table were within spoon throwing distance.

We never got dirty looks and often got compliments. One time a lady stopped to say, "Your children are so well-behaved. What's your secret?" I looked at her and said, "They're afraid of me." She was horrified, but it's really no secret. My kids have always known where the line is, and it was no secret to them what would happen if they didn't behave themselves, at home, or in public. The older they got, the fewer "reminders" they needed, which is the way it's supposed to work. All about consequences for our actions.

Ban parents, not kids. Sounds a little better, and puts the blame where it belongs.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
*snip*
Just most men are absentee parents even when they're still in the household. Yes I went on a rant...because you said "Mothers" I wish for a world one day where there are no women...and just totally test tube babies and men would have to do it all (or face extinction)that would be justice. I think too many men are self absorbed. And that's ALL of the ones I have met. So there I admit it I ranted and based on my experience Men suck. I would rather be surrounded by a million snakes than one man. That's the truth.
edit on 29-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: spell & add

Sounds like you have met some real losers, but they are NOT all that way. My dad was involved, so was his, so have been all the uncles. The father of my kids is involved, too, all the time. In fact, when we talked of being married, I had a child from another marriage, and he said flat out that he would be her father if we married. So, don't judge the whole bunch. Just be careful.

I have known some mothers that were only involved with their kids as far as they had to be to get attention. Men and women both can be, and all too often are, self-absorbed. Hang in there.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

Originally posted by White Locust
I have a 22 month old son and we only take him to loud restaurants like cheesecake factory or buffets (we live in as Vegas). He is a good kid, but he can easily be disruptive and destructive. It is easier for all of us to just blend in or stay home. Some parents don't care about others I realize, they suck

I agree. I get angry when I pay $10 to go see a film on the big screen, cause I want to enjoy a night out with the husband without the kid. And here comes a woman pushing a stroller with a baby, toddler, and a pre-schooler for a film like The Fourth Kind. When the babies cries and the kids are screaming cause they are terrified, she just gets all nasty with the kids and tells them to shut up. These are the sort of parents that disgust me to no end.

That's the sort I make SURE hears my opinion of them, and their stupid decision. Never, EVER, would I take a child to a movie I knew would be scary. Or "adult", meaning vulgar. The kids should not see those. Having been a single parent at one time, I can understand that a sitter isn't always possible, but that's when you simply don't see that movie in the theater! Parents like that are selfish idiots!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

No, it is not any different. A business is NOT a public place. It is a PRIVATE business that ALLOWS the public to patronize it, and they do have rules. This is not Russia. As a business owner of said PRIVATE business, I have the RIGHT to decide who does/does not enter my establishment. I have kids, 3 of them. They are exemplary in their behavior. I often go out without them so I can have a night with NO KIDS! It is the unparent of children that are causing this issue to begin with. If people would keep their children under control and teach them respect, this wouldn't even be a discussion. It is apparent some of you on this thread are in some serious need of therapy (Aeons) and I would not be surprised to see you or your children in trouble for violence.

This whole discussion about it being discrimination is bogus. It has to do with freedom. I am free to deny attendance to my business by a disruptive group, just as that group is free to not patronize my establishment. I'll wager you whiners are probably the very same people who pushed for a ban on smokers in bars. As far as I am concerned, if someone want to smoke, that is their right. If I want a quiet night out without children, I should have the right to go to an establishment that does not permit them.

People like Aeons and you are the type that has pushed for trophy's for all then poor little kids playing soccer so they don't feel left out. Everyone is special. What a load of sh*t! If they come in first place, they are special. If not, then no they aren't. They need to be taught to accept defeat and losing instead of expecting a reward just for existing! It's parents like you two who make me sick. You are the reason we have these unruly brats ruining everyone elses life. If parents actually acted like a parent, and not only taught but practiced respect for other people, you wouldn't have to worry about someone giving you a death stare at a restaurant. Accept responsibility for your children, or stay the hell home!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Just a thought from a parent here...

The relationship and bond between human parents and their children is - among a few other things - the reason for our continued existence at the top of the food chain on the planet and our successful existence.

If we don't invest in our future, and instead prefer it to "shut the hell up and get out of the way" - where are we going as a species?

That's a GOOD thought. Frankly, I suspect there are some that want that bond broken. The "rights of the child" types that want to remove parents as parents. The "anti-child" type that treat them as some sort of disease. Two very different approaches, same goal, in my opinion. Teach the kids to be out of control (like the flash mobs in Wisconsin...), make the parents afraid to BE parents, then demonize the children. Some of these anti-children types even call it an "environmental" issue. I used to visit a site that was supposed to be against illegal "immigration". Found out later that, buried in the site, were articles about controlling population, limiting numbers of children to citizens, etc. Then there are the utilitarian bioethics types. Wanting to decide that this or that person should be "allowed" to die, and so forth. Indeed, a lot of methods being used to endanger us as a species. Raises some speculation as to who is behind such a plan, eh?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

God forbid they decide to mate on the island. Imagine the shock on their faces:

"So this is where babies come from?"

I don't think kid-haters fully understand the fact that they were babies themselves one day.

From the sounds of things, some still ARE babies!
Ah, those looks would be priceless.....

We can only dream.....

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

Originally posted by jimnuggits
*snip*

I have never seen anyone even raise an eyebrow at a parent who tells unruly kids, with the mommy/daddy 'voice,' to cool it.

*snip*

I have. Older son was acting up in a store. I told him to knock it off and stop acting like an idiot, and some stupid, meddling woman came up and said that was "verbal abuse".

This is a HUGFE problem nowadays imo..

I think alot of public "parenting" is not done anymore because of this very reason. If you are disciplining your kid in public there's always some idiot who thinks they know better how to raise YOUR kid, or who plays the mental/verbal/physical abuse card(s)

Should be the other way around, parents should be adressed when they FAIL to disciplin a kid.

Agreed! I have, on occasion, had a word with some parents, only issue is, the really rotten ones aren't capable of learning, or simply don't care.

link   

So, you are saying that private businesses don't have to follow the Constitution? Do all Ron Paul supporters agree with that? No wonder he loses.....

You mention Ron Paul in a couple separate replies on this page. It sort of does look like political trolling since that's not the subject and I don't see where people are saying they don't like Ron Paul because of screaming kids. Thoughts?
edit on 29-7-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

link   

Parents like that are selfish idiots!

And therein lies the problem...most young parents of today were not really taught how to adequately parent because their parents were working while they were being raised by the day care center. They also lack social skills as they are the first generation sitting in their rooms playing computer games all day. Parenting is the most important job a person will probably ever do and yet I bet only a small fraction have ever thought to do any specific reading on the subject. Ask any teacher - their classrooms are filled with unruly kids and when the teacher calls the parent, the parent complains the teacher is picking on the kid. The parent always believes the kid and never what the neighbors, teachers, or police say. Have you ever seen the show, Toddlers with Tiaras? That's today's parents in a nutshell. I actually know of a kid who got pissed at his teacher and told his parents the teacher made him take food out of the dumpster at lunch and eat it. He talked a friend into backing him up. Now, there was an entire lunchroom full of people who could say it never happened, but did the parents bother to call up the school and talk to them? No, they automatically believed the child and started a lawsuit and went straight to the school board in order to get the teacher fired. Selfish, idiotic parents is right.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

reply to post by 27jd

Well to be honest banning kids from a venue is the choice (and RIGHT) of the venue's owner.

Just like it's the parents plight to keep their kids under control. Good that your kids aren't brats as i'm getting it from your posts, but i'm afraid they'll have to pay the price for other people's bad parenting. I wouldn't care too much about it to begin with.
A restaurant or whatever that makes the choice of not allowing kids in will not JUST do this, since it might cost customers, so in all fairness towards business' that have this rule, it's there for a reason probably and i dont think they'll have french fries with a toy on the menu anywayz.

Ah, but therein lies the issue. The restaurants can supposedly do this, but in reality, it isn't legal. Discrimination based on age, after all. Plus, as others have stated, how would people view this if we substituted a race for kid? People would be, rightly, up in arms. Now, that said, I think businesses SHOULD be able to decide, and then people should put the foolish ones OUT of business. For ANY group. The issue I have with this is the attitude of many t hat want such bans in place.

On occasion, I had one act up. They got no time out to eat for a LONG time after that. Worked like a charm, too.
Next time one started to act up, I simply said, "Let's go.". Settled right down.

Far past time we stopped letting the dregs of society screw things up for the rest, though.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I just went by the signature. RP supporters talk all about the Constitution (which is the ONLY area in which I sort of agree with the man...), but then you see things like this. I am very curious as to how this ban idea goes along with the RP ideals.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga

Parents like that are selfish idiots!

And therein lies the problem...most young parents of today were not really taught how to adequately parent because their parents were working while they were being raised by the day care center. They also lack social skills as they are the first generation sitting in their rooms playing computer games all day. Parenting is the most important job a person will probably ever do and yet I bet only a small fraction have ever thought to do any specific reading on the subject. Ask any teacher - their classrooms are filled with unruly kids and when the teacher calls the parent, the parent complains the teacher is picking on the kid. The parent always believes the kid and never what the neighbors, teachers, or police say. Have you ever seen the show, Toddlers with Tiaras? That's today's parents in a nutshell. I actually know of a kid who got pissed at his teacher and told his parents the teacher made him take food out of the dumpster at lunch and eat it. He talked a friend into backing him up. Now, there was an entire lunchroom full of people who could say it never happened, but did the parents bother to call up the school and talk to them? No, they automatically believed the child and started a lawsuit and went straight to the school board in order to get the teacher fired. Selfish, idiotic parents is right.

It's a HUGE problem. Kids think they are too good to be taught anything, the schools teach that, then blame parents for the out of control kids. Parents are clueless, and blame the schools. I chose years ago to stop working, and stay home. The cost of ONE child in daycare, coupled with the costs of gasoline, higher insurance, work clothing, higher tax bracket, etc, made by earnings amount to under $200 a month. That, at a fairly decent job. Plus, the daycare, a large chain, stank. Kids playing in pine bark mulch, not allowed to take toys outside, workers trying to steal backpacks, kids made to wet themselves when outside, because the workers would not take them in, or allow them inside alone. Wasn't worth it. That's the case a LOT of times, too. Or, the kids are left alone at home, and that's worse. I know some have no choice, but that doesn't help. Plus, some of the books parents can buy are garbage (as in the many-times-referenced Dr. Spock crap....). There are a few good ones, but how is a young parent to know the difference? The government doesn't care; they want to control the kids anyway. If this trend continues, our society is doomed.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Actually, discrimination only comes into play when there is a contract involved, such as labor, housing etc. There is no contract for eating out/going to a movie. Again, it is the irresponsible parents that make it hard for everyone else. Until parents can be responsible for their children, and respectful of others then I see no problem with a business owner catering to those who pay the bill and do not wish to be disturbed by someone else s lack of responsibility and respect.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join