It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The No-Kids-Allowed Movement is Spreading

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
*snip*

The no spanking movement is DANGEROUS!
YES It is dangerous. No one documents how many children are injured or killed because THEY WILL NOT OBEY!

I caught a kid as he ran off a thousand foot cliff. He was seven and looking over his shoulder at his mother who was chasing him. HE was literally airborne when I snatched his arm!

*snip*

I trust you gave his foolish mother an earful? Would bet, had the kid fallen, the stupid parents would have sued the park or wherever.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
So what about the kids who are quiet and behave themselves in an exemplary way?

Guess discrimination is the in thing now.

They will just have to take it on the chin whiel the others are blistered. lol

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
We had a "group" of parents and kids that would come into our place to eat once a week. They would just laugh as some of these kids dumped ice on the floor ect you name it. The mess after thier weekly event was to be dreaded. They we at last asked not to come back by management.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by Becoming

Not deluded, fact. I don't particularly care whether you believe it or not. I have what I have and I know how I got there. It is a fact that since Dr. Spock put out his wonderful work of science fiction that society has eroded, and crime has gone up. I don't think it's a coincidence.

SO right! That book is responsible for a LOT of the problems we have in society today. Makes me sick, as a parent, and a former child. MY parents did spank, and we were NOT abused, and we DID NOT misbehave more than once out someplace. We learned there were rules. The rest is to the thread in general, not to you.

Here, people have gone off the deep end to one extreme or another. NO ONE is advocating beating a crying baby, people. No one is advocating child abuse. Discipline isn't abuse. Spanking isn't abuse. Sure, there are those few kids that don't need it, but most do. At least some. Plus, parents that spank don't do that to the exclusion of all other punishments. Certain haarvik agrees there. My kids get various punishments, as needed, fitting the offense. Don't clean? No computer games. Fight? That's a spanking. Defiance? Same thing. Good parents know what works with their kids, and know that their kids aren't a problem in a restaurant, on a plane, etc. Bad parents don't, and you can't ban them, so you can't ban children, either. How many of you anti-children people keep your cell phone put away through an entire movie? Keep your voices low on the plane, at the restaurant, on the train? Think you can blow smoke on people? Hint - it isn't just parents with kids that are bothered by THAT. Some adults don't want your smoke, either. Pollute YOUR air, not mine.

The problem is rude people, NOT children.

Recently, we took the kids to the park early in the evening. Was a tad cooler (not much), and quieter. Or, should have been. At the playground was a group of people with several kids, that were ruining things for the rest. One boy deliberately knocked a styrofoam cup of cereal out of the hand of another in the same group, scattering the cereal all over the place. When the mother ( I presume) came to look, she simply blew it off, walked off, didn't speak to the offending BRAT at all, and didn't do anything to clean up the mess. By the time we left, there was cereal all over the place, and several of their cups. They didn't care at all. My kids were disgusted at the behavior. So, under the logic of many hear, should we ban kids from the playground? Because that group was out of control? If I stated what sort of group of people it was, and stated they should be banned, because of consistent rude behavior of that sort, the same people clammoring for no kids various places would be up in arms, accusing me of being racist, etc.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Miraj

You do realize that kids like super heros right? So your complaingin because a kid was talking during a kids movie?

Hey, my kids go to those movies, at times, and they know better than to talk. If we would not tolerate an adult talking out loud during the film (and I won't), then why tolerate a child? NOT saying ban them, saying make them be quiet, and if they can't, take them out till they are. Kids can learn manners, too.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
*snip*

Also what the heck are parents doing putting a small baby on a plane in the first place????

I flew with a baby thrice. Once, when traveling overseas for a military assignment. Some people DO fly when moving. Other times, for a funeral. Was I supposed to leave the child at home? Sometimes, people have to fly, to get where they need to go, and that means their kids as well. If THEY can choose alternate travel, so can all those complaining about babies and kids on airplanes. Fair is fair.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
my 2p... I have 3 children aged 3 to 10. I love them to bits, as most parents do. I love spending time with them and spend as much time with them as I can. i also like 'grownup time', I like to spend time with just my wife, or friends and I like to go and eat in a nice restaurant or pub, what I don't like is kids screaming and being obnoxious and ruining the 'grownup time'. I think this is fair enough... if you want to take your kids to eat out of an evening they either need to be very well behaved or left at home - or taken to a restaurant specifically for family's... sounds like hell to me! I guess the moral of the story is parent properly or leave the misbehaving uncontrolled brats at home.

I have friends who cant seem to control their kids, in fact the mum has actually said to me she wont discipline her child!!! Needless to say her little girl is a nightmare and I refuse to spend any more time with her than I have to, sad as it is.

just a side note on slapping your kids, and just my opinion... i have never hit any of my children and never will, there is no need for it. my kids are very well behaved and hardly ever cross the line, and if they do they regret it, but not by being slapped or hit... I really think that a fully grown adult hitting a child is disgusting.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I work in a Pub regular and have done for 10 years now as their DJ. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's (covering 7 to 12) we used to go for walks for miles with my Father and the walk would usually end in a visit to the pub.

However, under co circumstances were we ever allowed inside any of the pubs we were made to sit outside and wait and the only glimpse of what we saw was as he went inside before the door closed and the only idea of what was going on was usually the rowdy noise and quick smell of beer and cigarettes.

At no time did myself or my nephew who was with us tantrum and demand entry, in fact I used to look on it as a bit of an adventure and would find out myself what the attraction was when I grew up.

My Father was an Alchaolic and died in 2005. My drinking habits are far less of his and neither when I was in my early teens did I frequent pubs in town or the nightclubs as they held no attraction to me having experienced a few and seeing people beating other people up and falling down drunk. I'm no teetotal but neither do I see the attraction in being that anti-social or idiotic.

Back to present day, so as you can imagine since pubs seem to be all "open plan" now we have children come in ours at the weekend and quite frankly they run f****** riot and are uncontrolled. The usual behaviour including running, screaming, bullying each other, there is even one mother who brought her new born in 1 week after it was born, it is now at the crawling stage so as you can imagine other adults are having to step over it when they are walking to the toilets etc although some of the parents are better than others and there one or two of the children that are a joy to see when they come in.

To that end the Landlord and Landlady have created an Adult Only / Child Free Zone in an outer area of the pub which is fenced off, its too high for the kids to climb over and you have to be at least 6 feet to access the unlocking system.

It amuses me to think that we the Adults have been somewhat forced to create this area for ourselves outside the pub because we can't sit inside where we had the chance to escape from them.

I have a 6 year old Daughter and I don't think she should be in the pub as I believe there is a time and a place for children which is the park or the adventure playground, walks and reading with them or taking them to the seaside as I am doing with my daughter next week.

However there is one slight snag on this occasion as my daughter is also the Landlady's Grandaughter.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by haarvik

Kids that you threaten because they might upset the adults around them who hate them, and you teach them that that is okay.

Good for you. And you are PROUD that your children submit to you so easily. What a great trait to love in them.

I don't like you when you are youself. I do love you when you submit to me, and to the adults who hate you and deserve your respect even when they hate you.

Love submission. Hate individuality. Make sure your kids know you value the adults' around you and their views more than you value them.

I can't see why anyone could possibly find your logic not compelling. I'm not a big fan of teaching submission as an admirable trait.
edit on 2011/7/28 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

When you first started in this thread, I was agreeing, but this is off the deep end! Haavik is a parent, NOT in favor of banning kids, and NOT promoting abuse. Agree that you aren't reading all the posts, or at least are missing something here.

Let's get this stated, plain and simple. teaching your children to behave in public, and respect others, is NOT teaching them to FEAR. Nor does it mean a child isn't an individual, simply because they are taught to respect the rights of others. NO ONE in a public place, child or adult, should be acting in a way that is totally disruptive to the rest. Over-loud conversation, running amok disrupting things, etc. If adults behaved that way, we'd be fined for disturbing the peace. Hence, we teach our children the RULES. That's what good parents do. Respecting other people doesn't mean we are not ourselves. This is exactly the sort of thinking that gets us all these spoiled brats the anti-children people are in such a tizzy over!

What haavik and other parents are saying here is that banning kids is wrong, and that all that is needed is proper parenting. Are you agreeing with the anti-kid people, stating we can't train the kids to behave, and thus society has no choice but to ban them? Very confused as to which side of this debate you stand on.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by Aeons

Really? Then apparently you missed my post about MY children! I do have kids, and once they reach a certain age they have learned that they have to respect others. My kids have only had to be spanked two or three times to get the message that misbehavior will not be tolerated. They know better, and now that they are older I can take things away or ground them which is worse than a spanking. But I did set the precedence when they were young. More parents need to do the same!

Absolutely not. Spanking is not necessary and in my opinion, it is lazy parenting. What is necessary is follow through. You must let your no be your no, and you must follow through with your threat. If you said time out, then they must sit in time out, if you are taking away a priviledge, you cannot give it back in a hour. As a parent, I have found the hardest part is saying no to your children and sticking to it. They constantly test their boundaries and you have to be prepared to be strong. It isn't easy.

That's a great theory. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Why? Simple, there are kids that can, will, and have pushed those limits. I had one of those. Grounded, lost computer time, lost phone rights, etc. EVERYTHING taken away. NOT given back, either. She still misbehaved. At that point, spanking is all that's left, unless you support killing the brat. When they push too far, something stronger MUST be done. Grounding, time out, etc, don't always work. The kid that was such a problem? Grown, with kids, and a GOOD parent. We get along great. The ones at home now? Not such a problem, but they do occasionally do something that warrants a swat. If yours don't, lucky you! Not all kids are like that. With five, seen all sorts of behavior, and they are all different.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Aeons

Im not complaining that there were children.

I'm complaining that children were talking.

I didn't pay 10 dollars to get the 5 year old's view of the world.

I paid 10 dollars to see Captain America.

Agree that the kids should NOT talk during the film. That, as a parent, that won't tolerate that from my own. Few questions, though. Did you speak to the parents of the child? Did you notify an usher? Did you speak to the few adults that were talking? (You mentioned earlier that "most" were quiet.) In your place, I would have delivered a "shhh", then quietly asked the parents to quiet their child, and if that didn't work, usher, and asked for them to be removed. Same as I would do for an adult talking (minus parents). Texting as well. Sure,gets some dark looks, but I paid for that movie, and I want to hear it! The kid should have shut up.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Aeons

Im not complaining that there were children.

I'm complaining that children were talking.

I didn't pay 10 dollars to get the 5 year old's view of the world.

I paid 10 dollars to see Captain America.

So children can't go to your "adult" places....and they can't go to kid places either. Because, YOU are WAY too important and shouldn't ever be put out.

Someone sure is spoiled.

Yeah, the brat that thinks he can talk over the movie a whole theater full of people paid to see AND hear. Miraj didn't complain about kids being there, just about one that would not shut up. So, you don't think kids should learn manners?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Kids that didn't get disciplined in their childhood imo usually turn out to be the human equivalent of an undisciplined dog. Not all, but most of them, by the time they're teens, will turn into antisocial monsters wich attack the first person that looks at them. (Hey you lookin'at me bro? Am i wearing something that's yours?)

Society is going down the drain for a reason.

Kids need discipline. (and yes i got disciplined myself, all this no-spanking nonsense needs to stop)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by haarvik

Who said they were running around? They were kids talking at a kids movie. Go to the 12 pm showing if you don't want kids. To think you deserve peace and quiet during a kids movie is absolutely absurd. Then go to an NC17 rating if you don't like it.

My KIDS don't like it when some brat kid with negligent parents doesn't make them shut up, either. My KIDS want to hear the movie, too, not some other kid flapping his mouth. Just because it's a movie kids want to see, doesn't mean the kids thre should not display basic manners.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
A couple weeks ago, I went out for a steak (it was yummy). About half way through my meal, a child at the booth right behind me started screaming. The parents just went on eating, ignoring the noise (I think many parents develop the ability to tune out the screaming of their own kids). This continued for the remainder of my meal. I finished up, wiped my mouth with my napkin, turned around and proceeded to do my best impression of their child as loud as I could. After only two or three minutes of this, several things happened-

The parents looked suitably chagrined.
The child shut up, looking at me like I had two heads.
The manager insisted that I leave immediately, lest he call the cops (the kid was not threatened with police)
I left to a round of applause from several other patrons.
Most importantly....I didn't have to pay for the meal!!! (I did leave a nice tip for the server. It wasn't her fault)

I don't necessarily recommend this for everybody, but it worked out pretty well for me.

Just something to keep in mind.

Kudos for that! Pathetic that the manager could not seem to find the table with the screaming child, and ask the parents to quiet the brat. As a parent, and one with too much mouth, I would have told them to shut the kid up. Your method is hilarious, though!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
reply to post by minettejo

Screamers need a good STFU slap in the face.

It's a sting they don't forget.

And it works.

Parent, and agreed! NO CHILD of mine ever even though of trying that crap in public. Once encountered a child that screamed for everything, literally. She was about two. At home, even, she would scream, and someone in the family would rush to her to see what she wanted. She COULD talk, too, at least some. No need, though - a scream, and she got her way. HORRIBLE. Worse, the parents that pretend nothing is happening. I have sympathy for a parent with a child that won't quiet, when the parent is trying everything. NONE for parents that won't even notice bad behavior. My sister encountered some like that, when she was a night manager at a fast food place. Two ladies with their kids came in, and the ladies sat yakking. The kids were running all over, literally climbing OVER tables and booths. With other customers there, too. The ladies both were oblivious. Well, my sister, being my sister, told them to get the kids under control, or they would be asked to leave. The ladies demanded the manager, and were offended when she said she WAS the manager. Then, they actually told her she could not make them do anything. She actually called the cops, and had them tossed out.

That's the sort of kids people complain about. BUT, that said, most kids don't act like that when out. least not that I see. We don't need a ban on kids; we need one on stupidity and self-centered behavior.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
As far as crying babies and flying, what little I've done has always been in coach. Usually the sound of the engines is so loud and roaring you can barely hear anything else. Plus now days, most people have their headphone or earphone plugged into their favorite itoy so noises are probably not as noticeable as they use to be.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Everyone knows that children are our future.....so we must stop them while there's still time.

edit on 29-7-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join