It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The No-Kids-Allowed Movement is Spreading

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tippys Dad
I love my kids and grandkids. I like kids in general. But there is something to be said for a no kids environment once in awhile too. Not trying to insult anyone, just stating what a lot of us feel - I think.

Yes, it is what a lot of us think. Thank you for your impartial opinion. Perhaps some will take heed.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Yes so I am going to start a business tomorrow and say no blacks or latinos allowed. So how do you think that'll go for me?

ETA: Just using as an example I'd never really personally do this, I choose not to discriminate against anyone, just trying to make a point.

You could do that, and people have the right to vote with their feet. If a restaurant wants to ban kids, they can, no matter how wrong it is. But, the good thing is they will probably not stay in business very long with that policy, and justice would be served. Alot of single people who hate kids, probably mostly hate them because they haven't found somebody to have any with. Once they do, they will have kids and will no longer come to the restaurant beause their child won't be welcome. When family comes into town, you certainly won't be bringing the whole fam to that restaurant to drop a crapload more money than a single person or a couple on a date, and children won't have fond memories of eating there with their parents, and won't bring their kids there. Seems like that would be excluding a huge customer base, and who can do that these days?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Actually thinking about this it may work in parents' favor, if they remove children's rights then there can no longer be Child Protective Services, and then people can once again really discipline their children, so maybe in the far future, we are going to go back to the 50's mentality, where children are seen and not heard, I am all for this if it leads to the disbanding of CPS. They are the entire reason these children are out of hand nine times out of ten. the poster above who was stating about "interferers" in disciplining is absolutely right. I could definately support this if they plan on recinding all children's rights. Except the child labor laws, they should remain. But I can definately see the positive in this.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
So anyways to summarize the thread before I head out;

Children are not always in full control of themselves, even at the best of times. Sure, you may have awesome kids, you may be an awesome parent. Your kids may be so well trained that they can practically read your mind.

Unfortunately, in the real world this is never the case. Your children are unhappy being surrounded by so many unfamiliar strange faces. They want the quiet security your home offers. Take them back there instead of repeatedly telling yourself "it's ok it's ok, they will cry themselves to sleep".

You're making a fool of yourself by forcing your unhappy grumpy child upon everyone around you.

We aren't asking you to beat your child. We aren't asking you to instantly become a super-parent.

We expect you to know right from wrong, and it's wrong to expect no one noticing that your baby is screaming their lungs out in a public place, a restaurant no less, which are expensive nowadays and not exactly the happening spot for screaming kids.

If you are unhappy that your favorite local hangout doesn't want children inside, find another spot. You aren't single anymore. You have a kid (or kids). Be respectful and responsible.

We know they are people too. We never said they were not. But NO obnoxious intrusions are accepted in public or private environments, and your kids are no exception. You wouldn't want a 6 foot drunk inside a restaurant behind you, screaming his lungs out, right? Well, he's a person too, isn't he? Same thing. He's not allowed in.

Neither are your screaming kids.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Anyone who chooses to cater to the non-children base. What a simpleton view you have - the ones that dont't want kids in a restaurant are the ones that have no one to have kids with. Please.........

Again, this is not about kids in a restaurant, this is about ILL-BEHAVED kids in a restaurant and the PARENTS not giving a hoot about how the kids are disrupting other diners experience.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I have four stepdaughters and a son of my own. They don't act out in public and throw tantrums. They are well behaved. They've been raised to act right in public. If they act out in public(has to be bad acting out, not normal kid stuff) the next time we go to the movies or somewhere nice the one that acted out stays home with a sitter that round. If they want something they see on TV or in a store they do chores to earn the money for it. It isn't just given to them. If the three younger ones get in trouble or their grades fall in school they lose their DS or computer time for a week or two depending on how much trouble or how far grades have fallen. The two oldest lose their cell phones. Homework is done when they get home before computer time or the DS's get touched and it pays off. Our oldest graduated Salutatorian and is going to Mizzou on a full scholarship. She wasn't allowed to just go out and do whatever she wanted as long as she wasn't in our hair like i see so many parents do with their kids and other than the grief she's had to endure and overcome at school because of her lifestyle, the hair that's been every color of the rainbow and piercings she's a damn good kid. Our youngest goes into first grade this year with math and reading skills of third grade level. All thanks to an active roll in our kids lives. Our youngest reads to us instead of my wife or I reading to her. The girl has more books than toys. There's so many Jenny B. Jones books in this house it's like having an extra kid.

Discipline works. Spanking is a last resort. Losing the DS, phone, or computer time usually does the trick. However, there comes a time when a swat on the backside is needed.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

I would give you a million stars for this post if I could. Perfect summary.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Lets deny the elderly too a meal at Dennys, because they are slow and get in the way.

damnit i cant get through the buffet fast enough with these slow old people... they have to go"

Yes I am kidding, discrimination is discrimination.

Race
Creed
Color
Religion

This case is called Ageism Discrimination "not excluding children" Pedophobia

en.wikipedia.org...

Ageism, also called age discrimination is stereotyping of and discrimination against individuals or groups because of their age. It is a set of beliefs, attitudes, norms, and values used to justify age based prejudice, discrimination, and subordination.[1] This may be casual or systematic.[2][3] The term was coined in 1968 by Robert Neil Butler to describe discrimination against seniors, and patterned on sexism and racism.[4] Butler defined ageism as a combination of three connected elements. Among them were prejudicial attitudes towards older people, old age, and the aging process; discriminatory practices against older people; and institutional practices and policies that perpetuate stereotypes about older people[5] The term has also been used to describe prejudice and discrimination against adolescents and children, including ignoring their ideas because they are too young, or assuming that they should behave in certain ways because of their age.[6] Ageism in common parlance and age studies usually refers to negative discriminatory practices against old people, people in their middle years, teenagers and children. There are several forms of age-related bias. Adultism is a predisposition towards adults, which is seen as biased against children, youth, and all young people who are not addressed or viewed as adults.[7] Jeunism is the discrimination against older people in favor of younger ones. This includes political candidacies, jobs, and cultural settings where the supposed greater vitality and/or physical beauty of youth is more appreciated than the supposed greater moral and/or intellectual rigor of adulthood. Adultcentricism is the "exaggerated egocentrism of adults."[8] Adultocracy is the social convention which defines "maturity" and "immaturity," placing adults in a dominant position over young people, both theoretically and practically.[9] Gerontocracy is a form of oligarchical rule in which an entity is ruled by leaders who are significantly older than most of the adult population. Chronocentrism is primarily the belief that a certain state of humanity is superior to all previous and/or future times. Other conditions of fear or aversion associated with age groups have their own names, particularly: Pedophobia, the fear of infants and children; Ephebiphobia, the fear of youth,[10] sometimes also referred as an irrational fear of adolescents or a prejudice against teenagers;[11] and Gerontophobia, the fear of elderly people.[

edit on 28-7-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by 2012srb

If you were my parent you wouldnt be conscious to think about what happens after the first hit. Im not some little slave that can be thrown around and I dont care that they are my parent I shouldnt have to be forced into doing things I wouldnt want to

Ahhh prime example of parents not disciplining or instilling morals and respect into their kids. Hate to say it kiddo but I foresee a life in and out of prison or an early death with that attitude. A bit of advice..Life is full of things you wouldn't want to do.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of people hate kids here. I really don't care if certain establishments prefer not to serve children; I would just go elsewhere and would rather not give miserable children haters my money.

I doubt this would catch on to a lot of places, I rarely see children acting out of control in restaurants. The other day we went out to dinner with a group of adults (at least 20). I was the only one who had a child and I brought him with me (almost 2) and he sat through everything like a little gentleman. If that restaurant banded children not only would they have lost me as a customer but the 20 others I was with because we would all have to go elsewhere. It seems like it would be bad for business in my opinion.

BTW I have never sat in a theatre when a screaming child was not removed immediately from the theatre by their parents, I don’t have any idea why so many experience this often? If this is not an exaggeration I would really like to know where these people live?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
So what about the kids who are quiet and behave themselves in an exemplary way?

Guess discrimination is the in thing now.

Haven't read the entire thread, don't know that I will, but have read the first page, will read a couple more and maybe the last two or so, but I do have a few things to say on this issue.

I am a parent and a restaurant manager(for a company you all probably know, and no it's not Crapplebees. I love that by the way and it gets used in my brand on a regular basis), so I get to see both sides of this particular aspect of our society.

Daily.

I say it all the time to my servers when a family leaves and the table is a wreck (and there are degrees of this) that I would put my 5 children up against any one child and the majority of the time, the bigger mess will be made by the one.

Yes, I have five (5) children and they are each and every one of them well behaved, polite and highly intelligent. One of them autistic, so that throws a whole other level of complexity into the mix in any situation but it is something we all (my wife, and other children) have absorbed into our lives in our own ways and dearly love him for the joy he brings among the frustrations he raises in equal measure.

My children regularly are complimented on the behavior and manners and I am told by their friends parents that my kids are welcome to their homes any time in the hopes that their children will pick up some of my children's habits.

That is not to say that they are all angels all the time, they do occasionally have their temperaments ruffled, but this is not the norm with any of them. They really are all good kids.

When I am working a shift and there is a screaming baby (these are the worst) I always go and deal directly with the child. I'll squat down and get on their level (they're usually in a high chair), get their attention, and make a funny face (easy to do as I am funny looking) and ask them , "is it really that bad?" and most of the time this stops them dead cold and they start smiling or will maybe just stare at me and wonder who in the world I am.

As far as places banning kids, I probably wouldn't want to go to those places anyway. How's that for snobbism?

And flying? I could just about charter a plane for the cost of tickets for my whole brood to take a major carrier.

Regardless, I do squarely lay blame at the feet of parents of truly unruly children as someone has to be the adult and it should never be the child.
edit on 28-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: know not no

edit on 28-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: formatting fix, maybe I should preview, eh?

link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

I am at a loss why this was replied to me, we're on the same side are we not?
I also want to say, and this may sound crass, But I am honestly not a big fan of children, though I became a mother, I Actually said all my life I am never having children even said I hate them and even today as my children are older I don't even like to associate myself with families with small children, but I am an even more stubborn anti-discriminatory person too. As much as I would avoid being around other kids other than mine, I would never own a business and say no children allowed in my business, because I think discrimination is just WRONG! No matter what my personal feelings about a specific group I can seperate my personal feelings and look from the other's Point of View and consider how it would make them feel to be unincluded or disincluded, Even beyond my personal comfort level. It seems odd, and very hard to explain, but I think it should be considered part of maturing...to look beyond your own feelings and consider someone else's.

link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Babies not being allowed on airlines? being on a plane truly is that much closer to heaven.

I do believe that kids should not be allowed in certain places like on airplanes though.

Would you prefer children travel in animal crates in the belly of the plane??? Seriously, ban children from flying??? Should the parents ship their kids UPS to wherever the parent is flying???

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lisaloeb1214
Sounds like a lot of people hate kids here. I really don't care if certain establishments prefer not to serve children; I would just go elsewhere and would rather not give miserable children haters my money.

I doubt this would catch on to a lot of places, I rarely see children acting out of control in restaurants. The other day we went out to dinner with a group of adults (at least 20). I was the only one who had a child and I brought him with me (almost 2) and he sat through everything like a little gentleman. If that restaurant banded children not only would they have lost me as a customer but the 20 others I was with because we would all have to go elsewhere. It seems like it would be bad for business in my opinion.

BTW I have never sat in a theatre when a screaming child was not removed immediately from the theatre by their parents, I don’t have any idea why so many experience this often? If this is not an exaggeration I would really like to know where these people live?

In the last thread I asked this too. You know I really think it is to do with the persons experiencing this, you know those who expect it make their reality type of thing??? You know they see the child and think "HERE WE GO AGAIN" and sure enough it turns into a bad night for them, kind of the law of attraction at work here I am thinking.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by yourignoranceisbliss

My kids are very nice children.

These people, like this, death stare from the start. Child took too long through the door, and was in the way for 4 extra seconds? Death Stare. The Precious adult was put out for 4 seconds. Adult wasn't paying attention an found they ran their cart into my child, who wasn't in the way....death stare.

My children are made of sterner stuff than the "I smacked my kids and they are better for it" wussy children of these people. However, I am a very capable parent.

My children would eat these wussy parents alive. And they get it from both sides. More than one person in my family and my husband's have been known to take a full out beating as a child without a peep to prove you don't fracking own them. We're an overall tougher brand of human than these "I smacked my kids butt and now they behave" idiots. I actually have to have....PARENTING SKILLS.

I'm tired of the adult-babies that are terrified of children, and want all *my* work and empathy, while they give NONE in return. Screw'em.

I like my children better than I like these people.
edit on 2011/7/28 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I meant that i agree with your response, i was making the same point you were. But by modifying it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

Oh okay...lol.
Yes I still see this as bold discrimination...however I know the UK has a time (I think its 9pm or 10pm) that children aren't allowed to go into certain places, we could handle it this way so people could have their "quiet" meals and those with kids could have their family meals. It wouldn't be discriminatory then, there are better more appropriate ways to deal with this issue. Also to do with the airlines, I don't know how the heck anybody can afford to fly first or business class with children. I can barely afford coach with my kids lol.
I don't know about the time limit here though, you know the geriatrics love to go eary bird so they may start complaining about the children too. Are there any grandparents here that could chime in on this?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Thank God, I'm 34 and single. Like to eat out.

Sorry no offence intended to anyone's kids

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

So one persons decision to have children should be a burden shared by others who either dont want to or dont have the option.
A person wanting to enjoy a quiet drink with a friend suddenly becomes 'stuck up' because the expected conditions of their local are not being satisfied.

When you make a mayjor decision in life you have to expect a paradigm shift.
Would you be offended if you were asked to leave a library because your baby is noisey? If you can stay then maybe the teen with the loud music should be allowed to stay?
Would you take your child to a place that is unsuitable to the child like a UFC match or a strip bar?
But its ok to take them to a place that is unsuitable for everyone else?
Very selfish, or maybe 'childish' might be a better term.

Mothers, accept that your life has changed and deal with it. The rest of us had no part in your decision to have a kid. Not our problem.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss

Originally posted by mr10k

Originally posted by doctornamtab
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the no kids allowed movement.

Why should I be subjected to your kids whining, screaming and moaning when I"m trying to enjoy the world. Heres a clue for all you parents out there: Your kid is not special. There I said it.

Now smack him upside the head when he messes up, praise him when do actually does something worth praising and quit trying to be friends with your kids...that happens when your kids are adults. Your kids are kids, deal with it.

What cracks me up is all these parents (my friends included) who try to rationalize with kids, they try to explain to them why they can't eat rat poison or drive the car. They're kids! They're stupid! Their brains aren't even ready for rationality until middle school. Punish your damn children, dont treat them like they're the judge at your parenting trail.

The no spanking movement has created a generation of American kids who are obnoxious and lack self discipline.
Heres a secret: its ok to hit your kids. Theyre kids. Not pricelss ming vases. I'm talking punishment here, not abuse and yes theyre different things.

(disclaimer: not all parents and kids are like this but, it seems, terrible parents and children are EVERYWHERE!!)

The generation I am in does not like being hit. I want to kill my mom anytime she threatens me or tries to hit me. Sorry, But if you can hit me, B*** i can hit you back.

Ahahaha....you're from Generation "Win". There are no losers in Generation Win, just self-entitled brats whose parents never had the backbone to teach them the harsh reality of life.

I wish I could be there to see the look on your face when you're hit hard in the rear by reality. No mommy and daddy to cushion you.

My father is dead.

My mothr works 1 job all day for 3 kids and to feed an extra cousin

She is the only one who pays the taxes and the bills

She constantly tells me that I have to work hard to get a job

At the same time she is currently trying ot finish college.

Before you come and tell me how to act and how I should act, I am not from any genereation "Win". I am disciplined without having to be beat. It doesn't take a hand for a child to realize how harsh the world is. I look down upon anyone who lays hands on tehir children, and I always intervene when my mother tries to hit my little sister. It disgusts me that you have to beat sense into something like it had no mind. I learned the truths of the world by myself, not with the help of a leather belt.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join