It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The No-Kids-Allowed Movement is Spreading

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
yep go try to watch a movie at the theatre and forget its waste of cash.

some place i would agree with is and i also agree that bad kids are a reflection of bad parenting
edit on 28-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Replied to wrong post.
edit on 7/28/2011 by 2012srb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

If you were my kid I'd acquaint you with the floor.

Better make the first one count because you aren't getting a second shot.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by IceFlower

I am not making this partisan. Are you saying you agree with Aoens claims that everyone she disagrees with hates children and is a `dead ender` a a`loser`(her words)

No, I am saying that your politicizing the topic by comparing your belief that Bush is to be held equally responsible as parents of misbehaved children is ill-conceived. The topic is whether or not parents are capable of controlling their children in public and if business owners have the right to refuse service to families with children. You are in fact the first to mention Bush, terrorists, or anything of the sort.

Why you would do that, I have not a clue. You are not only politicizing the subject, you are injecting your liberal disdain by bringing up something that has no revelance to this thread or to the current time.

Just my opinion - take it or leave it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It amazes me how the west thinks of kids and how you think it is okay to divide generations apart from each other. Kids on their own, teens on their own, adults on their own, elderly on their own.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
One thing I've noticed about parents is they all want to have special needs kids because it makes them feel important (martyrdom syndrome). This gets them off the hook on their parenting as well. My kid has Asperger's, my kid has ADHD, etc. so it's OK for him to behave like a brat. Their kid doesn't have anything a little discipline won't cure. Unfortunately, those self-centered brats grow up and continue to be problems even through adulthood. You haven't lived until you've seen a full-grown woman throwing a hissy fit in the front yard because her hubby won't go out and buy her M & Ms at 10 p.m.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IceFlower

I am not making this partisan. Are you saying you agree with Aoens claims that everyone she disagrees with hates children and is a `dead ender` a a`loser`(her words)

No, I am saying that your politicizing the topic by comparing your belief that Bush is to be held equally responsible as parents of misbehaved children is ill-conceived.

Oh, well there`s your problem: I said nothing even remotely close to that.

The topic is whether or not parents are capable of controlling their children in public and if business owners have the right to refuse service to families with children.

Yes, I am aware of that. I have commented on it several times.. I agree that it is a business owners right to refuse to serve the parents who cant control your children.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I can't remember a time when my kids were acting up in public, and didn't listen when I told them to get it together, otherwise I'd grab a good hunk of skin on the inside of the arm, and do what we call the 'pinch and twist'. They're 9 and 10 now so it wasn't super long ago. There are ways to bring the pain, without making a big scene. On the flip side, I can't really remember a time when I remember being in a restaurant or wherever, and having my time ruined by somebody else's screaming kid. Maybe having kids, and animals (2 australian shepherds, they're just like kids), etc. you learn to tune it out....
edit on 28-7-2011 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am not a parent myself, but I have helped raise my 8 year old youngest brother and now I watch him and my 10 year old step cousin(whom we have custody over) during the summer days. My stepfather has almost ruined these kids himself. As much as I think children should behave and have some sort of social discipline, I see more and more kids being rude, stomping around the house, and screaming. Its just sad that is EXACTLY how my stepfather acts. I don't place ANY blame whatsoever on the children, they don't deserve it. The parents do however.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
These parents seem to think that their kids need more friends.

They do not.

They need parents, and being a parent means you are not going to win a popularity contest.

I don't blame Mr. 10K up there, because I know his mom tried doing that which her parents would not: treating her child like an equal, as their friend would.

The problem with that is that children have no discernable boundaries with their friends.

They must have boundaries with their parents.

Parents must do what is right, not what is popular.

Never are those two things identical.

You do no favors for your children by allowing them to view the world as if they are entitled to whatever their little heart desires.

'A man, at time, gets something for nothing, but it, in his hands, will amount to nothing.' -Frederick Douglass

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

colding your kids in public has never once merited a call to social services.

My post never mentioned anything about a call to social services. What I was getting at, are some people consider that abuse. More like parents who don't believe in spanking their kids when they do wrong.

If you don't think it happens, I can tell you it happened to me when my son was around four years old. He ran off in Walmart because I refused to buy him a toy. I couldn't find him anywhere and I was getting extremely worried. I eventually found him walking out of the men's room. I scolded him and was telling him to never run off like that again. I gave him a quick smack on the behind not realizing a lady standing their was watching me. She said she didn't think if was right that I swatted my kid because she didn't believe in hitting children. I was genuinely pissed that this women was telling me how to discipline my child. I told her this was none of her business and I would discipline my child accordingly. She had no idea what happened yet she wanted to be my judge and jury.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb

The child was in charge because daddy didn't have the balls to be a man and put a stop to the behavior.

It's not necessarily daddy having no balls. It's the people,some of which we're seeing in this thread, that have a conniption fit when daddy tries to discipline his child for throwing said tantrum. Noooo..can't do that. We now live in an age where instead it's the proper thing to let the kid throw the tantrum or drug your kids with whatever prescription is popular.

Bust the little brat's ass in front of everybody and his tantrum will stop. That's the way it worked when I was a kid. Hell, I've even had my hide tanned by the fathers of friends when we got busted doing something we KNEW we shouldn't be doing. My parents had no problem with it and my friends' parents had no problem with my parents doing the same with their kids.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

No, I am saying that your politicizing the topic by comparing your belief that Bush is to be held equally responsible as parents of misbehaved children is ill-conceived.

Oh, well there`s your problem: I said nothing even remotely close to that.

The topic is whether or not parents are capable of controlling their children in public and if business owners have the right to refuse service to families with children.

Yes, I am aware of that. I have commented on it several times.. I agree that it is a business owners right to refuse to serve the parents who cant control your children.

I have no problem - and yes you did say something closer than remotely : "The comparison is apt, because Mr. Bush also liked to pretend that everyone he disagrees with was some sort of monster, simplifying the debate into absurdly comical proportions."

How does this even relate to ill behaved children?

This statement directly implies that President Bush also behaved in the way that the parents we are discussing here do. YOU have simplified the debate into absurdly comical proportions - to suit your own agenda - regardless of what Aeons has said - or how any of us feel about it.

You are the one that felt the need to make comparisons that had yet to be made. Good for you. You're the first, pat yourself on the back - go on down the road knowing that you did everything for the liberal cause that you could. I applaude your effort. And your terrorist reference, please explain how that applies to this current debate about unruly children?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux

Bust the little brat's ass in front of everybody and his tantrum will stop. That's the way it worked when I was a kid. Hell, I've even had my hide tanned by the fathers of friends when we got busted doing something we KNEW we shouldn't be doing. My parents had no problem with it and my friends' parents had no problem with my parents doing the same with their kids.

I`m guessing you dont have kids. IF your kids are misbehaving in a public space, smacking them is not a solution. The PROBLEM is that there is no discipline or consequences (and no that doesnt mean physical violence, it means consistent rules and standards). What you are seeing when you see kids acting out in a public space is parents who have given up on all chances of control. There is a LOT of middle ground between smacking a kid and establishing rules and boundries.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is the most assinine thing I have ever heard. I know several flight attendants have travelled myself and Brought my children on planes. If anybody here had an ounce of intelligence it'd surprise me! The reason the freaking infant is crying is because most likely the damn pressurizing of the cabin during the flight, if more idiotic airlines would explain this to parents and tell them how to remedy it (which is for infants the best way, make them suck on a bottle) there's something about the sucking that counter acts the pressurizing in the ears they are screaming cause their GD ears are hurting! More infants would be happier as well as the parents and the other travellers if the airline cared to correctly train their flight attendants and they could pass it on to the parents. Sometimes parents don't know this inherently, I didn't, but having travelled before and wondering how that Ear popping crap would affect my child, I actually asked one of the flight attendants I knew and she told me, make them suck a bottle or tit or even a pacifier. I guess they rather just ban them instead of training their employees to have some empathy and compassion and make everybody's trip more pleasurable?

link   
reply to post by 27jd

My daughter stole a little stuffed bunny once when she was about four - old enough to know better. She hid it under my son in his carriage. I made her take it back to the clerk, hand it to her, and apologize. Once my son acted like a brat in a Hallmark store. I said to him that he was not going to subject other shoppers to his tantrum and I laid down our things on the counter and told them I was sorry but I would come back another day. Then I made a big deal about marching him out the store (with everyone else laughing behind us). You know, they both turned out to be exceptionally good young adults (both are in college). Sometimes parents need to understand it's OK to make your kids feel like they are lower than the dirt on a sow's belly. Take them down and then forgive them and let them learn from their mistakes and then...get on down the road and don't mention it again.

A tip for parents who are trying to teach their kids manners in a restaurant - take them in the middle of the afternoon when nobody else is around. Make sure you have something to keep their attention the 1/2 hour or so until they get their food.

link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

My apologies, friend.

I read too much into your statement.

And I agree, people need to stay out of it unless there is physical violence. Totally out of line!

I am reminded of Louis C. K.'s stand up about that topic.

We judge other parents until we are parents ourselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My position on this is that loud adults annoy me a million times more than loud kids. I see kids, and I know to brace for a little noise because they're kids, but boisterous adults? That's a different story. Can't we just ban loud people altogether?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

This statement directly implies that President Bush also behaved in the way that the parents we are discussing here do. YOU have simplified the debate into absurdly comical proportions - to suit your own agenda - regardless of what Aeons has said - or how any of us feel about it.

MY GOD. You are so far off target it defies logic. Again, I have said nothing of the sort. Feel free to go back and review the conversation you are referring to, which you have taken so comically out of context.

I was referring specifically to ONE PERSON (Aeons) who was saying that anyone who disagreed with her was a `child hating`dead-end loser` (her words). To demonize EVERYONE you disagree with is a very similar tactic to various political regimes, both current and past. Feel free to read the actual conversation, it still there. You`ll feel really silly when you do!

edit on 28-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

One thing I've noticed about parents is they all want to have special needs kids because it makes them feel important (martyrdom syndrome). This gets them off the hook on their parenting as well. My kid has Asperger's, my kid has ADHD, etc. so it's OK for him to behave like a brat.

Back in the day, you never heard of ADHD. So I guess the kids that had ADHD back than were treated no different than kids that didn't have it. Maybe those were the kids that couldn't sit still in class or always got into trouble. There was nothing that a paddle or a smack from your parents couldn't cure.
Kids learned back than their was a line you didn't cross. If you did, you suffered the consequences.

ADHD is now a free pass to ignore an out of control kid.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join