It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth has a Trojan Asteroid in it's orbit !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just saw this and found it surprizing that something so close to Earth has laid un-detected until now...

The reason being that this Trojan Asteroid is in a 'sweet spot' regarding the Earths Gravitational field and apparently poses no threat to us....

It's orbit has always put it in bright light and therefore made it very difficult to see until now...when they have discovered it in IR...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Astronomers have detected an asteroid not far from Earth, moving in the same orbit around the Sun.

The 200-300m-wide rock sits in front of our planet at a gravitational "sweet spot", and poses no danger.

Its position in the sky makes it a so-called Trojan asteroid - a type previously detected only at Jupiter, Neptune and Mars.

Maybe there are plenty more out there...

Regards

PDUK

edit on 28-7-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Wow! Absolutely fascinating! Good find.

I think a lot of us wish at the moment that we could find a "sweet spot" like that and float around undisturbed and undetected...lucky asteroid!

As long as there are no invaders hiding "trojan-horse style" on or inside the trojan asteroid...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Good find p dog... S n f

It amazing how lately all these stories of rouge asteroids are coming to light...

Mmmmm.. Are they trying to give us a hint to something?
edit on 28/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Yes, this is cool.
I got the NASA news letter today.
It is about the same thing:

- - - NASA News Letter - - -

News release: 2011-230 July 27, 2011

NASA's Wise Mission Finds First Trojan Asteroid Sharing Earth's Orbit

The full version of this story with accompanying images is at:
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

PASADENA, Calif. – Astronomers studying observations taken by NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) mission have discovered the first known "Trojan" asteroid orbiting the sun along with Earth.

Trojans are asteroids that share an orbit with a planet near stable points in front of or behind the planet. Because they constantly lead or follow in the same orbit as the planet, they never can collide with it. In our solar system, Trojans also share orbits with Neptune, Mars and Jupiter. Two of Saturn's moons share orbits with Trojans.

Scientists had predicted Earth should have Trojans, but they have been difficult to find because they are relatively small and appear near the sun from Earth's point of view.

"These asteroids dwell mostly in the daylight, making them very hard to see," said Martin Connors of Athabasca University in Canada, lead author of a new paper on the discovery in the July 28 issue of the journal Nature. "But we finally found one, because the object has an unusual orbit that takes it farther away from the sun than what is typical for Trojans. WISE was a game-changer, giving us a point of view difficult to have at Earth's surface."

The WISE telescope scanned the entire sky in infrared light from January 2010 to February 2011. Connors and his team began their search for an Earth Trojan using data from NEOWISE, an addition to the WISE mission that focused in part on near-Earth objects, or NEOs, such as asteroids and comets. NEOs are bodies that pass within 28 million miles (45 million kilometers) of Earth's path around the sun. The NEOWISE project observed more than 155,000 asteroids in the main belt between Mars and Jupiter, and more than 500 NEOs, discovering 132 that were previously unknown.

The team's hunt resulted in two Trojan candidates. One called 2010 TK7 was confirmed as an Earth Trojan after follow-up observations with the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Mauna Kea in Hawaii.

The asteroid is roughly 1,000 feet (300 meters) in diameter. It has an unusual orbit that traces a complex motion near a stable point in the plane of Earth's orbit, although the asteroid also moves above and below the plane. The object is about 50 million miles (80 million kilometers) from Earth. The asteroid's orbit is well-defined and for at least the next 100 years, it will not come closer to Earth than 15 million miles (24 million kilometers). An animation showing the orbit is available at: www.nasa.gov... .

"It's as though Earth is playing follow the leader," said Amy Mainzer, the principal investigator of NEOWISE at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Earth always is chasing this asteroid around."

A handful of other asteroids also have orbits similar to Earth. Such objects could make excellent candidates for future robotic or human exploration. Asteroid 2010 TK7 is not a good target because it travels too far above and below the plane of Earth's orbit, which would require large amounts of fuel to reach it.

"This observation illustrates why NASA's NEO Observation program funded the mission enhancement to process data collected by WISE," said Lindley Johnson, NEOWISE program executive at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "We believed there was great potential to find objects in near-Earth space that had not been seen before."

NEOWISE data on orbits from the hundreds of thousands of asteroids and comets it observed are available through the NASA-funded International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Mass.

JPL manages and operates WISE for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The principal investigator, Edward Wright, is a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. The mission was selected under NASA's Explorers Program, which is managed by the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. The science instrument was built by the Space Dynamics Laboratory in Logan, Utah.

The spacecraft was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, Colo. Science operations and data processing take place at the Infrared Processing and Analysis Center at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. Caltech manages JPL for NASA.

For more WISE information visit: www.nasa.gov... .

Whitney Clavin 818-354-4673
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
whitney.clavin@jpl.nasa.gov

Trent J. Perrotto 202-358-0321
Headquarters, Washington
trent.j.perrotto@nasa.gov

- - - End of NASA News Letter - - -

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Shimmeringsilver73 and MisterLondon

I thought the same as both of you when I first read this.......... to find a 'sweet spot', hidden and tucked away is probably alot of peoples desires currently...... also there appears to be more and more ''reveals'' about discoveries and objects....maybe we are being 'buttered up' for something else....

This Trojan Asteroid probably also acts a little like a 'shield' sitting where it does.........ready to deflect any incoming solar rays or other assorted objects......

If it's orbit is OK for the next 10,000 years then maybe we on ATS should start selling time-shares or a least certificates of ownership of the asteroids land.....what do you think ??

Regards

PDUK

edit on 28-7-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Good thinking! Reserve me a spot while you're at it... Not too hot, not too cold... nice view... preferably facing away from sun... I don't want no alien squatters either!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
SORRY but I missed this other thread which was posted BEFORE me........ooppss SORRY.........

Please go to this one because there is more technical detail and Phage has posted there too.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

two question's at what distance from the earth is it and what is the potential of say another comet knocking it out of it's sweet spot oh say in a month or two's time as you say all of a sudden there are loads of new comets asteroids being discovered

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

What...? But I like this thread... it has the words 'sweet spot' in which makes THIS thread infinitely cooler!

But wait - you say Phage has responded on the other thread??? Okie dokie - I will stride over there right now. Can't wait.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Who is Phage?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
omg..so what happens if this asteroid get hit by a ..let say..comet?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
seriously we all saw what happens when any of these are hit..

nasa predicted they could also not see the tiny explosion when they were stunned by the huge explosion occured..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Holy crapoes! I haven't been paying much attention to the whole comet-is-gonna-slamdunk-our-planet hype that has been going around... but that is a good point! A comet hitting an asteroid or at least influencing the position of an asteroid gives me reason to rethink the whole Elenin-Honda-Levy story...

Someone I once briefly discussed this matter with told me of his friend who is an astronomer working in one of the world's largest optical telescopes. Apparantly it is a very real concern (and common knowledge in some astronomical circles) that a rather large asteroid may collide with us in 2014. I had no reason to doubt his story, and a quick internet search confirms that enough material have been published on this subject. Let's hope that the presence of other objects in space doesn't upset the balance of these Trojan asteroids... 'cause then we may be in for a "bumpy ride".

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i dont think that there is going to be such scenario soon...thousands of years are an instant for the life of our planet..

but...tbh....i dont feel comfortable with such a massive potato romantically traveling in the sweet spot..i hope they plan a mission soon to shoot it out into jupiter...
that would be awesome

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This asteroid is said to be between 200 and 300 meters in long diameter, think a football field for the high end.

If it would impact earth, and lets go for the worst end, land, 45º at 22 km/sec.

Atmospheric entry;
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 57,400 meters = 188,000 ft
The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 19.9 km/s = 12.4 miles/s
The impact energy is 8.43 x 10^18 Joules = 2.01 x 10^3 MegaTons. That's over 20,000 MT, Tsar Bomba was ~50 MT.
The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.909 km by 0.642 km

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 9.35 x 10^18 Joules = 2.23 x 10^3 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 7.7 x 10^4 years

Global Damage:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundredths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:
Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.
Transient Crater Diameter: 4.44 km ( = 2.76 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 1.57 km ( = 0.974 miles )
Final Crater Diameter: 5.42 km ( = 3.36 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 492 meters ( = 1610 feet )
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.053 km^3 ( = 0.0127 miles^3 )
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater, where its average thickness is 3.43 meters ( = 11.3 feet ).

Ejecta @ 500 miles from impact:
The ejecta will arrive approximately 7.27 minutes after the impact.
At your position there is a fine dusting of ejecta with occasional larger fragments.
Average Ejecta Thickness: 6.63 microns ( = 0.261 thousandths of an inch )
Mean Fragment Diameter: 134 microns ( = 5.26 thousandths of an inch )

Thermal Radiation @ 500 miles from impact:
The fireball is below the horizon. There is no direct thermal radiation.

Seismic Effects @ 500 miles from impact:
The major seismic shaking will arrive approximately 2.68 minutes after impact.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 6.8
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 805 km:

Nothing would be felt. However, seismic equipment may still detect shaking.

Airblast:
The air blast will arrive approximately 40.7 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 899 Pa = 0.00899 bars = 0.128 psi
Max wind velocity: 2.11 m/s = 4.72 mph
Sound Intensity: 59 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

Of course at ground zero, you would vaporize.

Have a nice day!

edit on 28-7-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Of course at ground zero, you would vaporize.

Have a nice day!

edit on 28-7-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

lol

But really though, that's besides the point. These cowards couldn't detect or tell us about before it wound up in our orbit! That really gives me a lot of confidence in them to detect and or report other incoming objects.

unbelievable!

top topics

join