It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Government Document Regarding Use of Military in Times of Civil Unrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Hey guys,

While browsing the internet, as you do, I stumbled across this document in the National Archives. Its status is labelled as "temporarily retained", meaning that as much as they hark on about Transparency, they will not let the public know when they plan to bring in the troops.

What is more interesting is that title justifies "civil unrest" as an Emergency, thereby giving the government the ability to enact its Emergency Powers, which include the ability to make any law it likes without the consent of Parliament.

Granted, this document is from 1974, but it shows that this country's government has considered the use of the armed forces against its own citizens in the past. I am considering a FOI request to see what this document contains.

Does anyone know anything about this?
edit on 28-7-2011 by Mudja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I dont think there is anything sinister with this... Governments need to make plans for every possible scenario a country could face.. Including civil unrest... It's the same as natural disaster plans and training...

Whether they would actually implement it is another story..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I wouldn't know where to start looking! But I agree this needs to be looked into. I'll be keeping an eye and my mind on this thread in case I come across anything.
Personally, I think it will be a natural disaster that will 'kick off' this scenario. Just out of interest and off topic but could be pertinent, I have seen a posting on another web site that La Palma is appears to be starting to react to the EQ's happening on that other island which has had over 700 (!
) EQ's in the last week....hmmmm

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudja

The UK would never use armed forces against their own citizens... No way..

Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland never existed anyway.

They would never use internment camps either...

They would never have judges being the judge, jury and executioner all at the same time without a jury of peers ever!!!

They would never ever have a "shoot to kill" policy...

They would never ever use plastic bullets against the head...

Oh wait, they did.

edit on 28-7-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Yes, but even the consideration of the use of troops is scary enough, since they will be armed with live ammunition. What is to say that if a crowd approaches with tire irons and baseball bats, that they will not fire?

A search on the Home Office FOI site shows that it has been requested before, with a phone number to contact. If I have no reply to my email, I will call the number.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudja

The Gov have used the Military in times past against the people... and I can not see why that would be any different now..

The problem is that throughout history it has never worked well in the favour of the elite and has been a catalyst for reform..

The Peterloo Massacre is a prime example of unarmed citizens linking arms in arm and going toe to toe with the British Army en.wikipedia.org...

Tho I do not discount the use of the British Army to quell unrest it would create the same catalyst for reform and change.
edit on 28/7/11 by thoughtsfull because: passed or past *facepalm*

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudja

Mudja

One simple fact is this !!!......

Our Armed Forces have been so depleted and reduced in numbers then what could a few thousands soldiers do to hold back the popluation of 60 million ??

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yes, we covered this when I was a junior leader in the army.

Its called Military Aid to the Civil Power (MACP)

There are a lot of SOP's (standard operational procedure) with everything from natural disasters to civil war/unrest.

A part of it includes shooting all prisoners in UK prisons if tshtf.

I can however tell you a certain fact.

A british soldier will never fire on his/her countrymen for any government. Those who gave such an order would be the ones to get a bullet.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

"A part of it includes shooting all prisoners in UK prisons if tshtf."

Didn't Lawson earlier this year say that some 3,000 (I think) troops were going to be trained up to take over our prisons this summer as they expect the prison staff to go on strike/dispute. I know he did, just wish I could remember where I found the article.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mudja
Yes, but even the consideration of the use of troops is scary enough, since they will be armed with live ammunition. What is to say that if a crowd approaches with tire irons and baseball bats, that they will not fire?

A search on the Home Office FOI site shows that it has been requested before, with a phone number to contact. If I have no reply to my email, I will call the number.

Yes but if there was wide spread rioting and murder on the streets.. Wouldn't you want the goverment to have a plan in place for such a scenario.. Which might be unlikely but it is still possible..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrankyPantsUK

I can however tell you a certain fact.

A british soldier will never fire on his/her countrymen for any government. Those who gave such an order would be the ones to get a bullet.

I am glad to hear this, that together we could stand against any tyranny that might come if SHTF.

Yes but if there was wide spread rioting and murder on the streets.. Wouldn't you want the goverment to have a plan in place for such a scenario.. Which might be unlikely but it is still possible..

If there is widespread rioting, surely the reason for the riots would be the government itself? Be it terrible economic management, or resource management, or corruption, or vote rigging? If the government is prepared to try and use the Army to quell a civilian revolution, what difference is there between the so-called democracy we live in and the police state envisioned in V for Vendetta (where they do exactly this, though the Army did not follow orders given)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Mudja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

CP

If there was ever a deterrent to crime or going to prison then your comment / observation above is it !!

If there was the slightest chance that, as a prisioner serving in HM hotels you might get shot then I wonder how much the crime rates would fall ??

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

CP

If there was ever a deterrent to crime or going to prison then your comment / observation above is it !!

If there was the slightest chance that, as a prisioner serving in HM hotels you might get shot then I wonder how much the crime rates would fall ??

PDUK

Actually this is no big secret

Its quite well known amongst prison officers and staff that in a shtf scenario all prisoners will be shot.

It would only happen if there was a total breakdown of the UK.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

"A part of it includes shooting all prisoners in UK prisons if tshtf."

Didn't Lawson earlier this year say that some 3,000 (I think) troops were going to be trained up to take over our prisons this summer as they expect the prison staff to go on strike/dispute. I know he did, just wish I could remember where I found the article.....

Rainbows
Jane

Correct but all soldiers ae trained to deal with prisoners anyway.

An army prison would be the best deterant for young wasters imo

After being in one myself for being naughty i can honestly say that you would not want to go back!

You are not allowed to walk but have to run everywhere, you are inspected 5 times a day. You are up at 5 for a beasting (physical training-torture more like), you are not allowed to talk.. Its awful lol

new topics

top topics

join