It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man charged with assault for spilling drink on President.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Johannesburg A South African man was found guilty of assault yesterday for spilling an alcohol and water drink near President Jacob Zuma at the country’s premier horse race last year, local media reported. Charges were laid against Daryl Peense, a betting agent, after an incident at the Durban July horse race a year ago in which he allegedly spilled his drink over Zuma from a balcony. Peense was found guilty of assault yesterday and sentencing has been postponed to Sept. 7, SAPA news agency reported, citing a National Prosecution Authority spokeswoman. His attorney told the court earlier that Peense was drunk at the time and only a small quantity of whisky was spilled from his glass. He had no intention of injuring the president. One of Zuma’s bodyguards told the court in March that he saw Peense pour a drink from the balcony over Zuma’s group at the horse race meeting.

Source

Saw this on the news last night. Mr Peense was found guilty for assault, for spilling some liquid on the President here.

I am shocked at this. I mean really, assault????

Now the president has about 10 bodyguards surrounding him all the time, yet, they did nothing, or could not see or prevent this. What if he was an assassin?

Further more, charging him with assualt i feel is merely a misuse of power, to proof a point. It is ridiculous.

vvv

edit on 28-7-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Here's a thread not too long back where 28 pages of people lamented the horrible assault upon Glenn Beck's wife when someone spilled a drink on her at a concert.

I wonder how many of those posters will turn up now to decry this assault charge

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Further more, charging him with assualt i feel is merely a misuse of power, to proof a point. It is ridiculous.

vvv

That is exactly what it is, they making an example of him .

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

he saw Peense pour a drink from the balcony over Zuma’s group at the horse race meeting.

Was this guy pouring a drink for someone in the Balcony and happened to spill it or did he deliberately pour the drink over the balcony onto the president? It sounds like he purposely dumped it and the bodyguard witnessed it.
If I poured a drink on your head, it would be simple assault.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

It was accidental.

The testimony of the bodyguards in court are also conflicting, because their original police statement, and court testimony are different.

Its all BS.

vvv

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Regardless of whether he spilt it or did it on purpose, a so called president should be able to handle a little bit of liquid contact.

new topics

top topics

join