It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Somebody Please Tell Me WHY???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

My guess for all the suffering and wrongdoings in the world either result from one of three things: greed, money (which ties in with greed), and gaining the upper hand over one another, which is the primal alpha (fill in the blank) instinct.

True it is sad to see brothers and sisters treating one another horribly but I have a feeling its going to get better soon. You know what they say, things get worse before they get better, and we're all in the bad times right now.

So keep your eyes on that light at the end of the tunnel because you never know what's over the hill. Cheer up buddy
, things will get better because we're all in this together. (No rhyme intended)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Their aim for years was to destroy the nucleus family,at least in the west.
Now that's achieved they will concentrate on other things..

In my case "they" have failed.

My Children and Grandchildren

My Beautiful Wife

Next week we will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. If it weren't for my family, I would have given up hope long ago. I have been truly blessed in this area. I just wish that the love my family shares could be shared by my extended family: the human race. If that were possible, the world would truly be a paradise.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Brother Oldcorp, your last post just said everything I was thinking tonight driving my cruiser around answering calls. This evening after dealing with a paranoid schysophrenic who said “its ok if you kill me now I’m ready to go” (long story) I took a little breather and pulled up ATS on my MDT (mobile data terminal) for a bit of comic relief. And guess what! Yup you got it. The U.F.O’s over the South West Post was the same post that made me think the same damn thing you wrote. This post acted as kindling. I swear to God this is insane. I now know why I have respected your input in the past. I truly wonder what is going on with collective thought. Thank you for writing what I and many others are thinking.
To serve and protect does mean something to many of us, but my brother the line is getting thinner.
Damn I am speechless how you pulled those thoughts out of my noggin.....

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Mate the failed in my family case also but sadly we are the minority..

I remember my eldest son coming home from school once and he was upset because he was the only one amongst his friends with two parents at home..
He said his mates had more freedom and less rules than him..

Sad really..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by OldCorp

Mate the failed in my family case also but sadly we are the minority..

I remember my eldest son coming home from school once and he was upset because he was the only one amongst his friends with two parents at home..
He said his mates had more freedom and less rules than him..

Sad really..

More freedom and fewer rules? But at what cost?

I'll take an intact family over unrestricted "freedom" and wealth any day. I haven't got a pot to piss in, but as far as I'm concerned I'm the wealthiest man alive.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Competition is an important part of the genetic process, this is programmed into all DNA based life at a core level. Conflict is one type of competition that has been popular in the past. In striving for a civilised world it is one implication that has taken a lot of resources in trying to address and is a difficult challenge to confront and resolve.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Competition is an important part of the genetic process, this is programmed into all DNA based life at a core level. Conflict is one type of competition that has been popular in the past. In striving for a civilised world it is one implication that has taken a lot of resources in trying to address and is a difficult challenge to confront and resolve.

It's been my experience that more problems are solved by cooperation than by competition. People striving together towards a common goal is (or should be) the very definition of "civilized."

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Let me pour you a nice hot cup of perspective.
Got it? (be careful, it's hot)
Great.
Have a seat.

100 years ago, there was a guy, probably about your age, who was saying, why; do I have to give up my horse for these new "autos", why do I have to potty in doors, why can't I just buy my laudinum over the counter, I hear rumours of a war in Europe, why does my kid listen to the wireless all day, why are people in power abusing their power. . . .

Unfortunately, what you're seeing and experiencing isn't new. Just the medium that delivers the news is new. We're getting information overload. Too much drama, angst, pain, suffering.
I'm not saying give up the medium that you're using. Just visit the sillier sites here. Look up goofy stuff on the intrawebz. (read a book)

It's gonna be okay.
Promise.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

It's been my experience that more problems are solved by cooperation than by competition. People striving together towards a common goal is (or should be) the very definition of "civilized."

Absolutely, but there is a lot of good competition as well. Sport is one example, teams work together for a common goal. But within that cooperation is a lot of beneficial competition between teams, players and even within the individual. Competition is a motivating force that allows people to achieve more than what they would have though possible. It is the conflict where the problem is, so we have rules and an umpire to keep the game fair and take the conflict out of the sport.

Society is struggling with the complexity of the law and legal system. When events like 9/11 are allowed to go unresolved, no one knows what the rules are any more and the game just descends into a melee.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Why?

Fear.

Fear of change, fear of stagnation.
Fear of control, fear of loss of control.
Fear of responsibility, fear of lack of responsibility.
Fear of difference, fear of being the same.
Fear of being wrong, fear of being right.
Fear of the unknown, fear of the known.
Fear of choice, fear of lack of choice.

But mostly, fear of ourselves.
Fear of what we are, what we were and what we may become.

Anger, hate, depression, despair, arrogance, rage and bigotry.
These are all aspects and defense mechanisms of fear.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by OldCorp

Let me pour you a nice hot cup of perspective.
Got it? (be careful, it's hot)
Great.
Have a seat.

DANG IT! I spilled it in my lap! Good thing you're not a McDonald's franchise or I'd sue!

Unfortunately, what you're seeing and experiencing isn't new. Just the medium that delivers the news is new. We're getting information overload. Too much drama, angst, pain, suffering.
I'm not saying give up the medium that you're using. Just visit the sillier sites here. Look up goofy stuff on the intrawebz. (read a book)

I like to unplug completely several times a week and go fishing. Online, LOLcats are a favorite diversion; and I'm in the middle of "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. But yeah, info overload is a bitch.

It's gonna be okay.
Promise.

I'mma hold you to that.

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by OldCorp

Absolutely, but there is a lot of good competition as well. Sport is one example, teams work together for a common goal. But within that cooperation is a lot of beneficial competition between teams, players and even within the individual. Competition is a motivating force that allows people to achieve more than what they would have though possible. It is the conflict where the problem is, so we have rules and an umpire to keep the game fair and take the conflict out of the sport.

Society is struggling with the complexity of the law and legal system. When events like 9/11 are allowed to go unresolved, no one knows what the rules are any more and the game just descends into a melee.

Competition is sports IS healthy. It's the competition for monetary wealth and natural resources that's driving everyone insane, and unfortunately that seems to be all anyone cares about anymore. Whatever happened to spending quality time with loved ones around a board game (another example of good competition,) or volunteering at a soup kitchen?

I think the Me Generation is going to find out that life isn't about "me," and they're going to find out the hard way. Look where it's brought us: Right to the brink of disaster.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Why?

Fear.

Fear of change, fear of stagnation.
Fear of control, fear of loss of control.
Fear of responsibility, fear of lack of responsibility.
Fear of difference, fear of being the same.
Fear of being wrong, fear of being right.
Fear of the unknown, fear of the known.
Fear of choice, fear of lack of choice.

But mostly, fear of ourselves.
Fear of what we are, what we were and what we may become.

Anger, hate, depression, despair, arrogance, rage and bigotry.
These are all aspects and defense mechanisms of fear.

Profound and accurate insight brother Duck.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Here's a random thought:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by dethduck
...snip.

Profound and accurate insight brother Duck.
We often look for complexity in cause and effect for all we do and experience, but the reality is that we are really just simple creatures.
Of course, we fear facing that, too.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
And I have to ask: WHY are humans so cruel to one another?

WHY do some people hate their fellow man because of the color of their skin or because they choose to worship God in a different way (or not at all?)

Because we're instinctively a tribal species. How we define our particular tribes has a lot of variety - everything from facial features to clothing styles to sports teams to accents. many of us are members of several dozen "tribes" (For instance, I'm a member of the American, Choctaw, foodie, Punk, atheist, liberal, history buff, and synaesthesia tribes). We have an ingrained tendancy towards rivalry with other tribes - this stems from the old days where your neighboring tribes were out to take your territory and eat your young.

The trouble arises when peopel can't be bothered to subsume that instinct in order to be a better neighbor.

WHY do some seek the acquisition of insane amounts of wealth, more money than they could possibly spend in a thousand lifetimes, when many of their fellow human beings on this planet are starving to death?

Because greater prosperity creates more chances for breeding due to higher social standing and a better ability to "buy" mates (sometimes literally).

Also because those poor starving bastards generally aren't immediately affecting your life. We all know there are kids starving in the streets of Dhaka. We know that men and women and children die due to treatable illnesses all over hte world. As individuals, we are overwhelmed by hte scope of global poverty, and have a sense of futility; so what if I write a check for this or that fund, millions more people are still left starving. The trouble here is that our tribalism has another effect; we have difficulty seeing "big pictures" - this is why so many of us rage and foam about even their close friends and neighbors getting assistance from the government.

Why do women abort unwanted children when there are loving couples who would do anything to be parents and would gladly adopt these "unwanted" chidren?

Because that would still mean carrying the child for nine months and undergoing labor. Why don't those people who want to adopt adopt some of those poor kids in Dhaka, rather than clucking hteir tonguesand trying to control other peoples' uteruses?

WHY do our politicians lie to us, selling us - and our children and grandchildren - out to corporate interests just so they can remain in office and line their own pockets?

Same reason you're not adopting kids from Dhaka (okay, okay, enough of the poor Bangladeshi kids). The politician is out for themselves, just as most of us ultimately are. YOUR kids don't matter to them any more than their kids matter to you.

Why do people (Muslims) blow up their fellows at prayer because they disagree on who should have led their religion after the death of Mohammed? WHY does a man (a "Christian") blow up government buildings and then calmly mow down 80 some odd children?

Shouldn't "Muslim" also have quote marks around it? Just for consistency?
Because these people have been told that their beliefs demand these sort of things. Whether religious, political, cultural, whatever; someone has told them that these beliefs demand the deaths of these people who are outside the tribe.

WHY do priests, who have sworn to preach the Word of God, use their position of trust to molest the children in their care? WHY do those "in charge" (TPTB) feel that they are so above their fellow man that they claim the privilege to enslave them? WHY do women murder their children (Casey Anthony, Susan Smith et al?)

WHY do police officers abuse their authority, in what seems like an epidemic of violence, to beat and murder those they've sworn to protect?

That you put these three together tells me you know the answer; they do so because they possess absolute power over these people. Same reason cops carelessly murder civilians; because they can do so without any punishment. Because they exist in a culture where their word is total law, where the people under their care are possessions and playthings. Because the society they live in grants them the privileges they "enjoy" - whether it's the notion that priests serve god, that everything cops do is legal and justified, or the notion that children are property.

WHY does our government go to war against countries that have done absolutely nothing to us and present no real threat to our security (Iraq & Libya?)

And Afghanistan and Panama and Grenada and Nicaragua and Somalia and Haiti and Cuba and Lebanon and on and on and on... See the above question about wealth. it's the same principle; proving you are the biggest, proving you are the most virile, the most dominant. Basically our leaders, already with more wealth than will ever be useful, transcend that small scope and start trying to won entire nations.

The notion of empire is just a weirdly derailed mating impulse. Think about it; you're trying to take this other people and impregnate them with your ideals and culture.

WHY has that same government gone to war against its own citizens,

Pause. "War" has a real meaning. it's not just a word you can mutate for whatever you wish. Okay. Unpause.

labeling as possible terrorists those who have fought with honor in those foreign wars, or those who support the Constitution, or those whose only "crime" is sporting a Ron Paul or Greenpeace bumpersticker on their car?

because threats to the government and other people don't tend to come to people whose lives and interests revolve around prime-time television.

When I read about the greed, injustice, and man's inhumanity to man that has become an everyday occurrence it just breaks my heart.

Things really are about to go down the toilet in a BIG way, I feel it in my bones.

You and your parents and their parents ant their parents and their parents and their parents and every generation before; Remember what I said about our inherent short-sightedness? We all have this conceit that our time-frame is the crucial one. We can't imagine that any other time in history or the future could really be worse; or better, for that matter. We all have the narcissistic urge to believe we are the pivotal moment in history. No one ever wants to be mediocre.

Of course, ultimately that's all we really are; just another individual in a continuous stream of bipedal primates looking at the world around them and going "Yeah, but what about me?!"

I created this thread after reading a silly little post about a "Vast fleet of UFOs are above south western USA now." But I find myself wishing that the thread were true, that a fleet of aliens really was about to come down from the heavens; Because at this point, I don't care if they were coming to save us or eat us - one way or another I just wish it was over.

Come quickly Lord Jesus; your children are suffering. Save us from ourselves.

Why not strive to solve the problems yourself? isn't the saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? I can share the sentiment, if not the theology.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

It's the competition for monetary wealth and natural resources that's driving everyone insane, and unfortunately that seems to be all anyone cares about anymore.

Right again. The rules that define the difference between healthy competition and destructive conflict have gone of the rails. For the economy, 1913 and the start of the Federal Reserve was a big turning point where things started to go wrong. Lately with the derivative and other stock market expansions into creative accounting practices things are a mess. As a consequence the reason and comprehension of law has fallen away to the conflicts of power and survival.

As for the kids of today with the Me attitude, part of it is just growing up. A more serious component is the direction provided by the leadership. When the president and other leaders ignores the rule of law and inflicts massive damage it sets a big example in the community. Some economic philosophies believe that if people do what is best for them, society benefits. Unfortunately these people have not studied history and learnt the reasons behind the fall of civilisations and the 'tragedy of the commons'. A lot of hard lessons have gone into making the rule of law. When people turn their back on this, they turn their back on all these hard lessons and are destined to relive them.

The best solution I have to all these problems of morality and conflict is to reinvestigate 9/11. Clean out the corruption, expose all the issues and these hard lessons will go down to better understand and define the difference between conflict and competition.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
So long as one has to ask "why?" do such horrific acts happen then I know they're alright.
The people who have answers to that question are the ones we need to worry about.
But you knew that already.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Thanks for taking the time to answer those points one by one. I'll answer a few of your questions in return.

I didn't put quotation marks around the word Muslim, because violence in the name of Allah is a given in that religion. Whether the targets are Jews, Christians, or their fellow Muslims, the Koran commands them to kill or subjugate unbelievers. The Shia consider the Sunni as apostates, and vice-versa, so in their eyes - Shia and Sunni both - their targets are legitimate "enemies of Islam" as they interpret it.

I put quotations around the word Christian in Berviek's case because murder is in complete opposition to everything Christ taught, so I don't consider him a real Christian at all. If you want to compare the incidences of Muslims who commit violence in the name of God versus Christians who do the same, I don't think you'll be happy with what I come up with. A "Christian" killing people in the name of God is an aberration; a Muslim killing people in the name of God is an everyday occurrence.

If I had tons of money like Brad and Angie, I might consider adopting a child from a third word nation. As it stands, I sponsor a child in Guatemala through the Christian Children's Fund. I do what I can.

As far as "controlling other people's uterus's," all I would ask a woman is that she use birth control to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. I don't think that is unreasonable. Using abortion as birth control is, IMHO, murder. If a woman isn't responsible enough to use protection, the least she can do if she gets pregnant is give the child a chance to live in a loving home if she doesn't want to care for it herself.

We ARE the pivotal moment in history. What's past is past and can not be undone. The future hinges on what we do today.

It's true that God helps those who help themselves; that's kind of the point of the thread. We, as human beings, are failing miserably at helping ourselves. We are at a precipice, just a step or two away from annihilation; without Divine intervention, "no flesh would be saved."

I'm gonna go make some breakfast and then maybe go out and catch a bass or two for dinner. I'll be back after a bit.

Peace and love ya'll.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Actually most people are good people. Good people and deeds don't make the nightly propaganda reports because they instill emotions like hope.

The people that are most directly responsible for the horror of the world are literally sociopaths that crave power and have no emotion. I'm not just being insulting here, it's the truth. They aren't in every power position but most. The reason there are so many of these type of people in these positions is because unlike most of us, they have a drive and thirst for power. Their lack of emotions such as empathy, and their lack of morals, make them very upwardly mobile. They don't care who they step on.

These douchers are the ones most responsible for our sorry state. IMHO of course...

edit on 28-7-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The complexity of the human mind....that's why.

The behaviour, moral values and such of a person are defined for a substantial part by his up-bringing, social surroundings, personal experiances and what not. And that is f*&k$d up with a lot of people.

That's why.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join