It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a possible future I Phone App save us from Future Massacres?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Just ruminating, but could there be some way via satellite a developed Iphine or similar mobile phone app that detects an introduction of firearms amongst a unarmed population and alerts the potential mass murder victims?

At a guess my hunch would say yes. so shouldn't this app be developed fully and introduced?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
an app that detects armed people in a crowd? what about all the weapons that aren't guns and all the weapons that aren't metal?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I think it would be more realistic to have some sort of emergency broadcasting system for cell phones. If a shooting occurs in a certain area maybe the cell phone could detect the shooting and send out a signal to all other phones in a mile radius or something. Kind of like the old palmpilot technology that beamed information to other units.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Just ruminating, but could there be some way via satellite a developed Iphine or similar mobile phone app that detects an introduction of firearms amongst a unarmed population and alerts the potential mass murder victims?

At a guess my hunch would say yes. so shouldn't this app be developed fully and introduced?

Are you suggesting that either a satellite would identify the threat & inform mobile users or the mobile itself would detect the hazard & inform its user?

Software designed to detect hazards such as you've outlined would be hard to implement without an underlying complement of sensors--expensive sensors at that. As for satellite updates, I'm not certain that a satellite detects anything of itself, beyond what it was designed to detect, receive, transmit, et cetera. Better said, I'm not certain that a satellite is capable of interpreting a threat from afar & transmitting a warning to folks in the area of concern. I reckon that doesn't answer the question of is it possible, which from my point of view is maybe it could or maybe it couldn't.

edit on 28-7-2011 by Axebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The scanner app would probably be the equivalent to that..You just kisten to all the local police scanners live..Works good..you can catch all the local town clown activity (city cops) but not so much state police

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Yes, just what we need. More survalience, citizens spying on each other, fingers hovering over the keypad, ready to pounce at the slightest sign!

Two or three more disasters like this tragedy should be enough to convince some of you that life would be better lived in a cage with your very own Government guard to privately watch over you. It's just safer that way, isn't it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It would be an app tailor made for certain locations,eg isolated islands where for some reason only one security guard was stationed to protect 500 kids and adults.

In this day and age money is King, no government body wants to spend money on security despite what they say.
Most of the security officers in Australia are sourced from recently arrived Indian /pakistan non citizens.
Why? because they work for less and are all round cheaper.
People cannot rely on governments to protect them, they need to find ways to protect themselves.
The easy manner in which this Brevik murderer gained access to his victims is beyond belief, Mr Magoo could have defended this island better than the security provided.
But examine the security in the real world ,and we will all be shocked .
Trust no one , if the Norwegians had followed this , many butchered people would be still be alive .
When they make reality documentary shows on islands ect the security is huge to protect the crew ect,apparently the children of Politicans ect were not deemed a security priority.
The mobile phone via satellite info could have alerted the undefended kids they should be wary...ie the complete ID of a detected firearm carrier would have been broadcast...if no ID was broadcast ie not authorised to carry a weapon in public...a red alert would have been broadcast to every mobile phone on the island...before he set foot off the ferry.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Regardless of what your misguided hipster buddy tells you, iPhones won't be able to cure AIDS or detect armed gunmen in a crowd.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
This is actually very good idea and would be very simple to make functional. What the app would need to do is detect the sound of gunfire, then a satellite would work in collaboration with the rest of the local phones to locate the gunman and notify all users within audio range that they are very probably in the "zone" and also notify those within a given distance that are not within audible distance. It would be pretty difficult to sell though due to the rarity of events like this. People wouldn't think it was practical and it would be constantly recording audio.

Also, for real accuracy, the program would need huge amounts of audio info to distinguish a gunshot from, say, a slamming door or any number of other sounds. It would also require a fast processor for recognition which would drain power rapidly, the phone would practically have to be charged continuously.

Personally, I would never get a program like this because of continued audio recording/transferring. Could easily be abused by military, police, govt officials, and TPTB. Kindof like the murdoch/news of the world hacking scandal.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
This is actually very good idea and would be very simple to make functional. What the app would need to do is detect the sound of gunfire, then a satellite would work in collaboration with the rest of the local phones to locate the gunman and notify all users within audio range that they are very probably in the "zone" and also notify those within a given distance that are not within audible distance. It would be pretty difficult to sell though due to the rarity of events like this. People wouldn't think it was practical and it would be constantly recording audio.

Also, for real accuracy, the program would need huge amounts of audio info to distinguish a gunshot from, say, a slamming door or any number of other sounds. It would also require a fast processor for recognition which would drain power rapidly, the phone would practically have to be charged continuously.

Personally, I would never get a program like this because of continued audio recording/transferring. Could easily be abused by military, police, govt officials, and TPTB. Kindof like the murdoch/news of the world hacking scandal.

Actually true. In most cities they have acoustic towers that do detect gunfire. If the signal was like any local police scanner it would be able to be "app-ified"

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Most guns are manufactured legitimately...a chip could be made mandatory in each gun...when each gun is taken out to a public area ...it is tracked and the police and public are notified if the owner is not authorised to be in public with a firearm.
Most of the guns used in mass murders appear to have been legally bought and the owners license holders.
This idea may save lives, the chip couldn't be deactivated or taken out of gun without an alarm going off in a database.
Its a good idea, to me at least.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

No this should not be developed. What if I have a permit to carry?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

You've misread the OP. It is referring to a system which detects the weapon before the shooting starts.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

No this should not be developed. What if I have a permit to carry?

As already explained you may have a license to carry, so you would not automatically set off bells, but if the area in question was a no gun zone it would.
[erhaps licensed carriers would have to apply for a permit which once granted would be fed into the alarm monitoring system.
Lets be frank the technology is available , perhaps just not the will?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Lets be frank the technology is available , perhaps just not the will?

What technology is that specifcly?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

There are probably at least four different ways a gun could be detected , in a given area.
But knowledge is seeking, I am but a dreamer, not a engineer as such.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

This is actually very good idea and would be very simple to make functional. What the app would need to do is detect the sound of gunfire, then a satellite would work in collaboration with the rest of the local phones to locate the gunman and notify all users within audio range that they are very probably in the "zone" and also notify those within a given distance that are not within audible distance. It would be pretty difficult to sell though due to the rarity of events like this. People wouldn't think it was practical and it would be constantly recording audio. Also, for real accuracy, the program would need huge amounts of audio info to distinguish a gunshot from, say, a slamming door or any number of other sounds. It would also require a fast processor for recognition which would drain power rapidly, the phone would practically have to be charged continuously. Personally, I would never get a program like this because of continued audio recording/transferring. Could easily be abused by military, police, govt officials, and TPTB. Kindof like the murdoch/news of the world hacking scandal.

LMAO!

Darksarcasm.....you work overtime to maintain the integrity of your screen name.....my hat is off.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

There are probably at least four different ways a gun could be detected , in a given area.

If you are willing to risk stating something as fact that is obviously unfounded I will call you on it because the last thing needed on ATS is misinformation.

I asked you to specify the technology that you factually stated exists. You responded by saying there are probably at least four ways that an app could exploit the technology within IPhones to automatically discriminate between a hidden gun in a crowd and something else, yet we still wait for you tell us what even one of these is.  Since even airports have not been able to implement technology of this nature even by using purpose built devices I doubt you will be providing a reasonable answer for us.

Your desire to appear the most knowledgeable has managed to get your foot into your mouth this time.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

If you are willing to risk stating something as fact that is obviously unfounded I will call you on it because the last thing needed on ATS is misinformation.

I asked you to specify the technology that you factually stated exists. You responded by saying there are probably at least four ways that an app could exploit the technology within IPhones to automatically discriminate between a hidden gun in a crowd and something else, yet we still wait for you tell us what even one of these is.  Since even airports have not been able to implement technology of this nature even by using purpose built devices I doubt you will be providing a reasonable answer for us.

Your desire to appear the most knowledgeable has managed to get your foot into your mouth this time.

Thanks for the kind appraisal of my motives

Each to their own , I bear no grudge.
Most thinking creative people could think of at least a few systems to eliminate serial killer events.
Having compulsory metal detection systems on evry street corner every shop entry every public place perimeter ect is not even yesterdays technology, just the will to protect is missing from security, its actually anti security that is being imposed on us.
Iam sorry if you construe me as trying to be a guru of some sort on this subject, I have actually dismissed myself in a previous post as beinfg a dreamer , but another term perhaps is a supplier of broad ideas.
You are saying a mobile phone can be detected but a gun can't?
Of course it can I have already explained it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It's a phone that's also a pocket computer.

It's not a tricorder.

Not yet, anyhow.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join