It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature's hidden prime number code

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Mods: I wasn't really sure where to put this, please feel free to move as necessary

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2a07c995916.jpg[/atsimg]

We have attempted to explain why the world looks and behaves the way it does, to predict what the future holds. And in our search for answers we have uncovered a code that makes sense of the huge complexity that confronts us - mathematics.

We have attempted to explain why the world looks and behaves the way it does, to predict what the future holds. And in our search for answers we have uncovered a code that makes sense of the huge complexity that confronts us - mathematics.

Link: www.bbc.co.uk...

Pretty interesting article regarding prime numbers and particularly the strange behaviour of Cicada's, so they only appear after a prime number of years?

On further inspection in the same article:

Because 13 and 17 are both indivisible this gives the cicadas an evolutionary advantage as primes are helpful in avoiding other animals with periodic behaviour. Suppose for example that a predator appears every six years in the forest. Then a cicada with an eight or nine-year life cycle will coincide with the predator much more often than a cicada with a seven-year prime life cycle.

Makes sense but I wonder how these creatures discovered this little mathematical joy?

I know there are some good threads on here about prime numbers so I'm off to have a read, but once again mathematics being the "code of the universe" seems more likely every time I see an article such as this.

Another quick little example of numbers controlling our environment:

Adolf Zeising, whose main interests were mathematics and philosophy, found the golden ratio expressed in the arrangement of branches along the stems of plants and of veins in leaves. He extended his research to the skeletons of animals and the branchings of their veins and nerves, to the proportions of chemical compounds and the geometry of crystals, even to the use of proportion in artistic endeavors. In these phenomena he saw the golden ratio operating as a universal law.[49] In connection with his scheme for golden-ratio-based human body proportions, Zeising wrote in 1854 of a universal law "in which is contained the ground-principle of all formative striving for beauty and completeness in the realms of both nature and art, and which permeates, as a paramount spiritual ideal, all structures, forms and proportions, whether cosmic or individual, organic or inorganic, acoustic or optical; which finds its fullest realization, however, in the human form."[50]

In 2003, Volkmar Weiss and Harald Weiss analyzed psychometric data and theoretical considerations and concluded that the golden ratio underlies the clock cycle of brain waves.[51] In 2008 this was empirically confirmed by a group of neurobiologists.[52]

Golden ratio

Also:
Fibonacci number

Why does Kepler mention flowers? Scientists, beginning with Leonardo da Vinci, observed that the displacement of leaves around a stem occurs in patterns defined by the fibonacci series.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8811b11c88a.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 28/7/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
This isn't anything "new", at least for the Golden Ratio. The Golden Ratio is based off of the Fibonacci number sequence, which is friggin' amazing. The Fibonacci sequence happens all around us in nature. If you look at the sequence then see the physical representation of it, you will not be able to look anywhere and not see it.

Fibonacci Sequence

Also, the movie Pi is kind of about how the world is made up of mathematical equations. If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest it. It will really change how you see things.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Don't get me wrong, I've heard about the Fibonacci sequence, the Golden Proportion and prime numbers before.

Just never heard of an insect that has a life cycle aligned to a prime number pattern, I added the other information simply for completeness and for anyone who hasn't read about it before.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Yeah, i saw that after i posted my reply. i was just too lazy to edit my post to reflect that you had added that.

I LOVE the Fibonacci number sequence. There is something about it that just sparks my mind. Sometimes when i have an anxiety attack and don't have my meds on me, i'll sit and figure out the Fibonacci sequence out as far as i need to until my mind relaxes and i calm down.
Im a dork.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Fib repeats the golden ratio at the 13th position...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This is the best video I have seen to date on the Fibonacci sequence! Check it out its worth the watch.

Nature By Numbers

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
This is the best video I have seen to date on the Fibonacci sequence! Check it out its worth the watch.

Nature By Numbers

The video link is broken. Got anything else? Would love to see..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Additionally, the frequency between wing rubs in the evening
has a correlation to the temperature.

When there are a lot of them the entire forest seems to hum and then fade to silence.
Apparently they shed heat in the evenings that way, as opposed to sweating.
Homeostasis strikes again. The fact that they all syncronize is cool.

David Grouchy

edit on 28-7-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hi,

Yes I watched this last night, and thought it was very good, and really does open up the mind of everything being of order rather than being un-ordered.

The 13 year cicle of that insect was interesting, and the idea that they understand prime numbers and understand that if they appear on a prime number, they are more likely to survive as a single breed rather than cross contaminate is amazing.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I might help to clarify something here, I don't think anyone is saying the life is essentially reading off a script wirtten in the language of numbers, but rather that life can be explained in mathematics, much as it is already described in words.

Do we notice such patterns because our brains are designed to notice patterns and compile patterns from anything, or do we notice them because they really are out there, staring us in the face?

Mathematics can be used to describe anything. But remember that it is still a language that we have invented. Perhaps the most accurate language yet, but a creation of our own nontheless.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

No I disagree, we havent created the mathematics, we have just put numbers to an already happening event.

There is no way that a perfect circle which can be calculated was invented, its just there and we put the maths to it so we can understand it with our eyes.

They are not coincidental in anyway, it is happening everyday and more are being found, so they are not being invented as we are discovering them rather than inventing them.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I'm thinking that if there are patterns that nature follows then they would be evident and we can see that mathmatically they are so it follows that there must be a grand design in existence from which all these patterns can be found and traced. Such a master design would be a symbol of perfection and would be perfectly symmetrical, plus it would have a negative and a positive aspect along with a centre where the four unified fields of existence come together in union. A code of numbers does indeed exist that conceals within it the master design. It is ancient and well known but nobody has recognised the secret it hides.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

These insects are tapping into the code of mathematics for their survival. The cicadas unwittingly discovered the primes using evolutionary tactics but humans have understood that these numbers not just the key to survival but are the very building blocks of the code of mathematics.

Every time I read an article like this, I watch carefully for the counterfeit message. Here it is in the BBC article listed above. This is a statement which has no supporting evidence from an evolutionary standpoint. The much more plausible answer is that this function of prime numbers was programmed into their genetics by design. Bias like this is inserted into the equation by science and skews their understanding away form the obvious truth. This is called misplaced concreteness.

In reality, the evidence for design can be easily demonstrated by the information contained within the DNA of the cicada. It can also be shown by examining the irreducibly complex sequence of information contained within every living creature, the laws that govern nature and the overall benefit this programming provides for the entire circle of life. Our reality is programmed and there is no way to get around this fact. We are the products of engineering, consciousness and information embedded into our essence. The oak tree is enfolded into the acorn (its essence), just as the cicada's instinct to cycle by primes is enfolded into its essence before it is unfolded into the initial larva.

Go back and reread the statement made by the BBC above and realize that evolution is pure bias against a designer. Bias blinds and adds a random variable to an otherwise perfect equation.

"Evolutionary Tactic"???? A tactic is a plan based on consciousness. To be tactical, mathematics must be used to gain advantage by planning and choice. Without consciousness, there is no choice.

edit on 28-7-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Great video. The "evolutionary tactics" of unconscious matter defies the best minds of our generation. Evolution must be true. How else could this perfection be attained? Darwin and Dawkins are so smart to see how matter makes choice for the benefit of the whole of nature. Natural selection is just so natural. Amazing! Golden Number Website

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This kind of stuff is why the Da Vinci Code was an amazing read.
Forget the plot, i just wanted to read more about the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci sequence!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

This makes me think,
what if we were simply programmed to be something. Or have a set code made by someone else, that's why some ratios keep re appearing?

Sorry if this made no sense :p

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SecrecyDefied

Certain things in nature are complete manifestations of the holistic paradigm, or cosmic blueprint. Examples are superstrings, the human skeleton and human DNA. The universal pattern to which such holistic systems conform has now been discovered to be embodied in the sacred geometries of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life and the Tantric Sri Yantra, as well as to be symbolized by the 64 hexagrams used in I Ching. Prime numbers have been found to play an amazing role in these isomorphic blueprints.

If you want to learn more about the amazing way in which Fibonacci and Lucas numbers manifest in sacred geometries, study the following research article:
Part 1:
smphillips.8m.com...
Part 2:
smphillips.8m.com...
If you want to learn about the connection between the Pythagorean musical scale and Fibonacci numbers, study:
smphillips.8m.com...
Be aware that these are research articles based upon previous research. Understanding them will require some background study of the introductory material available at the website
smphillips.8m.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
All brilliant replies in this thread so far, nice to get the brains thinking together, now just got to watch all these videos

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I wrote an article on my blog about this very subject. If you read Genesis 1:27, it says very clearly that we are 'in' the image of God. It also says that we are God's image. It says it both ways. If you use the correct perspective, it is clearly saying that we are inside an image that God created. Time, Space, Matter and energy are all locked up inside another image we are familiar with. Right now, my consciousness is connecting to yours inside the image of this screen. You do not see me, yet you know I am speaking to you through the image.

Read my article. I think you will see where I am going. LINK

Originally posted by SecrecyDefied
reply to post by SuperiorEd

This makes me think,
what if we were simply programmed to be something. Or have a set code made by someone else, that's why some ratios keep re appearing?

Sorry if this made no sense :p

top topics

<<   2 >>

join