It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP and Tea: not meant to be?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by kro32

Alot of people on here whine about the two party system but then complain when it looks like there might be a third party acting different from the other two parties. Why have third parties if you expect them to act like the republicans or democrats?

You act as though I am saying the Tea Party should just shut up and know their role. I'm not. They can voice their opinion and if persuasive can get a piece of their view into the legislation.

That's exactly what they are trying to do actually.

So what was your issue with them again?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

If you go on vacation and spend all your savings, max out your credit cards, and forgot to pay your cellphone and cable bills, guess what, no cellphone and cable till you learn how to save and spend your money responsibly.

Maybe you should give up the beer and gambling before you make arrangements to have your electric shut off. This is the argument we are making. Stop reckless spending, wasting, and just plain giving it away before you take the food out of the kids mouths.

For example: ONE COMPANY - GE Makes something like 14 billion last year and paid nothing in taxes. Nothing. Due to some sort of fancy wheeling and dealing. And now they are creating jobs allright...for CHINA! Starting to take all x-ray work to China now. Thanks America...suckers.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

our CredRating is going to be downgraded regardless if the debt ceiling gets raised or not. If it raises, our debt to gdp goes higher, if it doesn't we default (even though we take in plenty of money to pay our debt obligations). Lose-lose situation

Personally, I think the ceiling should stay put (what the point of a ceiling if you keep raising it anyway?
Congress should pass a bill guaranteeing social security, military pay, debt pay and the ESSENTIALS (sorry welfare isnt an essential, bailing out wall street isn't an essential), and enact stop puts in place to keep this crap from happening more.

Because even if repubs and tea party members do cave, they lose their constituents, and in 2013 congress will be back at the table, taking "inmovable stances", fighting over another debt limit increase because they plan and project on spending the same next year into the deficit that they did this year.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

You are quite spoonfed by the msm so let me help you out.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Don't believe everything you read. Ge is paying taxes just using the tax code in a roundabout way.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

So what was your issue with them again?

My issue is with all 535 of them, not the parties. Just look at the long list of issues we have to tackle and they been working on the debt ceiling for how long?

I don't care who gets credit for what. But for God's sake, start addressing the real issues instead of trying to outdo each other and all the other party jargon they like to throw around.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well I see you've jumped from discussing the Tea Party to now bringing up all of Congress showing that you've run out of information on this topic.

I'll agree with you on this post however the debt ceiling is one of the most important at the moment so should garner the most attention.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by newcovenant

reply to post by jam321

Why should they? It's their right to express any views they choose and if they are adamant on certain issues and it costs them elections that's their decision. I don't think you should say how political organizations should think.

Because "my way or the highway" is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship.

Your not realizing that our Constitution allows any type of party to run even if they promote a dictatorship. Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to tell others what to do.

Now you have just stopped making sense all together.
What is a law?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

our CredRating is going to be downgraded regardless if the debt ceiling gets raised or not

And it should. Maybe it would help serve as a reminder that living within a real budget is important.

Congress should pass a bill guaranteeing social security, military pay, debt pay and the ESSENTIALS (sorry welfare isnt an essential, bailing out wall street isn't an essential), and enact stop puts in place to keep this crap from happening more.

And if that is what the compromise is then I can live that.

Because even if repubs and tea party members do cave, they lose their constituents, and in 2013 congress will be back at the table, taking "inmovable stances", fighting over another debt limit increase because they plan and project on spending the same next year into the deficit that they did this year.

And that is a possibility. But there is also time for them to do something about the problem before 2013 arrives.

on your posts

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Yeah -- they were elected on unrealistic expectations and flim flam. Do you really think the Congress of the United States has the power -- on a good day -- to pass an amendment to the US Constitution in less then 6 days?

Because that is impossible, and by screaming for it, elements within the Tea Party has exposed themselves as a group who actively seeks default, chaos and downgrade, in order to rile up their base for some kind of sky-puppy unicorn revolution.

It's not enough to want something really really badly. You have to know what it takes to get it, and follow through, step by step. You also have to understand the real cost (impact) of your choices.

Balancing the budget by keeping revenue flat and trimming "entitlements" will put even LESS money into the economy, going forward. Less money in the economy means fewer jobs for everyone. Jobs are not created because you wave a flag and pray a lot. They are created because there is more demand for goods and services then there is existing capacity to fill that demand.

The impact of the speakers plan is a direct reduction of 1.5 trillion dollars today, whose absence will cascade through the nations economy over the next year, putting less money in play for everyone, as its lack creates shrinking revenues from top to bottom.

Think about what you asking for: More recession and more unemployment. Is that really what the US needs to strive for right now?

Because frankly -- it sounds like failure talk to me.
edit on 28-7-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Don't believe everything you read. Ge is paying taxes just using the tax code in a roundabout way.

Yeah and essentially, bottom line is... they paid no income tax.

We'd all like to "use the tax code in a roundabout way" to end up paying no income tax too.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Well I see you've jumped from discussing the Tea Party to now bringing up all of Congress showing that you've run out of information on this topic.

Your so funny. Go back and read my posts. I didn't mention Tea party till you replied to my post.

Here's my first post

Originally posted by jam321
One big circus playing out in front of the world.

Maybe they should look up the word COMPROMISE and replace the my way or highway attitude.

One big circus means all of them. The word THEY means all of them.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

had our founding fathers compromised with england back 300 years ago, our nation wouldn't even exist at all.

Glad atleast a few people voted into office stand for what they were voted in for.

2011 - 300 = 1711 - Some rebelliousness by the Quakers... Ended badly for the rebels. The "Great Rebellion" was seven months of failure, retreat, and posturing. Or perhaps Paul Revere was 'ringing bells' about not taking away our guns, and freedoms..or perhaps African Americans were better off during slavery... More Tea Party history fail. But it sounds good, so I'm sure it'll make the news somewhere. Never let the facts stand in the way of a good publicity opportunity. Hope you don't fall for this rubbish too, because it's all made up and quite useless.

The Tea Party Misdirection seems to be working admirably. The people who pull the strings are left alone with their money, while the Tea Party causes chaos (per the directive) and allows absolutely nothing good to happen, unless you are one of the string pullers. Don't want to upset the real balance of power - the money. Sure there are some Tea Partiers with good intentions, and full of vim and vigor for Government not to govern the lives of the people (unless, of course, it's abortion, or gay rights, or anything else that doesn't fit their Psycho-Christian "morals" - yes, it's all about less government unless you don't fit the mold, and then it's "how can government let this happen?"), but all that's happening is everything is being bogged down with political posturing. You want to save 'waste'? Ignore those who have nothing to add. The Tea Party are not adding anything of value. Nor are the GOP. Nor are the Dems. Nobody is getting anything done, and this suits the Tea Party puppet masters.

The tea party needs to "Get a brain, Moran." [Sic.].

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

The Washington Post is not MSM?
Why do you have to lie like this?

Its American tax bill? None. In fact, G.E. claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion.

In a regulatory filing just a week before the Japanese disaster put a spotlight on the company's nuclear reactor business, G.E. reported that its tax burden was 7.4 percent of its American profits, about a third of the average reported by other American multinationals

A review of company filings and Congressional records shows that one of the most striking advantages of General Electric is its ability to lobby for, win and take advantage of tax breaks.

Over the last decade, G.E. has spent tens of millions of dollars to push for changes in tax law, from more generous depreciation schedules on jet engines to ''green energy'' credits for its wind turbines. But the most lucrative of these measures allows G.E. to operate a vast leasing and lending business abroad with profits that face little foreign taxes and no American taxes as long as the money remains overseas.
query.nytimes.com... res=9E07E5DE1131F936A15750C0A9679D8B63&pagewanted=all

Sounds like you licked that MSM spoon clean from TWP.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Why does the blame always fall on tea party, because CNN and NBC tell you it does? Because every time BHO goes up to the press the first words out of his mouth are degrading the "right"?

Sorry not falling for it.

BOTH ARE TO BLAME. Why is it the repubs are the ones always having to "compromise"
Oh like the last ceiling raise, where they caved and agreed on 38 billion of cuts that turned out to be a whopping 300 million (less then 1% of 1% of 1 year's deficit)

I know we're supposed to watch language here but # THAT #. We need REAL cuts, and not in ten years, WE NEED THEM NOW!
Cut cap and balance would have done everything I outlayed, only issue is it didn't cut enough! Good job compromising dems!

Open your eyes. Whenever they tell us we need compromise between the parties it always is about the conservatives giving in to what the liberals want, which is always the same-- more spending, more taxes, more public programs, more inefficiently run government programs.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

We are in the middle of the worst recession since the 1930's, and you guys want to shrink the economy and put another 10% (or more!) of us out of work.

Jobs are not created because you think people should work more. They are created because the demand for goods and services exceeds the current capacity to meet that demand.

What is difficult about this concept?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

We are in the middle of the worst recession since the 1930's, and you guys want to shrink the economy and put another 10% (or more!) of us out of work.

Jobs are not created because you think people should work more. They are created because the demand for goods and services exceeds the current capacity to meet that demand.

What is difficult about this concept?

Yeah because raising taxes and taking more money out of the private sector REALLY helps the economy grow.
Because not reducing our federal spending and growth REALLY helps the private sector pay for its irresponsible record

Even if dems get their way, and we get higher taxes debt ceiling and everything, we're going to be back at this in 2013, and we'll be at 17T in debt instead of 14, asking for a limit raise to 20.

STOP THE NONSENSE!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The only nonsense is coming from you. So yes, please -- stop it.

If cutting taxes to the wealthiest 5% in this country (you are NOT one of them by the way!) was somehow the magic fix, why have we had THREE jobless recoveries since 2001?

Stop repeating buzzwords, slogans and astroturf, and take a class or two on Civics and rudimentary economic theory.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Where have I mentioned anything about tax CUTs?

I'm saying leave the taxes WHERE THEY ARE.

REFORM TAXES after cuts are made, and adjust as needed to each bracket.

implement EXCISE taxes and work on the FTA to make it more economical for businesses to manufacture domestically instead of by some chinese 12 year olds getting 13 cents an hour living at their job.

but the main thing is

CUT FREAKING SPENDING. Our government needs to live within their means. They don't, and have not in a looooooong time.

Stop trying to penalize those who actually succeed and implement systems to get people on welfare and assisted living to WORK instead of leeching. TONS of people are on unemployment and disability, and a good majority of them work at unreported cash jobs to make double the money. I know there aren't a lot of jobs out there but there ARE jobs, problem is tyhey are less attractive then getting to stay at home and collect.

We don't need to raise taxes, I am not wanting taxes CUT, we need more people PAYING INTO TAXES.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
We could get a lot done putting those 24million on unemployment to work on public projects. They are indeed making a paycheck (via unemp). So if they don't get a job after say 12 weeks on it, send them to pick up trash, janitor in public buildings and offices. Road construction, landscaping, etc. See how fast they actually try to get real jobs when they have to work for their money.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Yeah -- they were elected on unrealistic expectations and flim flam. Do you really think the Congress of the United States has the power -- on a good day -- to pass an amendment to the US Constitution in less then 6 days?

Because that is impossible, and by screaming for it, elements within the Tea Party has exposed themselves as a group who actively seeks default, chaos and downgrade, in order to rile up their base for some kind of sky-puppy unicorn revolution.

It's not enough to want something really really badly. You have to know what it takes to get it, and follow through, step by step. You also have to understand the real cost (impact) of your choices.

Balancing the budget by keeping revenue flat and trimming "entitlements" will put even LESS money into the economy, going forward. Less money in the economy means fewer jobs for everyone. Jobs are not created because you wave a flag and pray a lot. They are created because there is more demand for goods and services then there is existing capacity to fill that demand.

The impact of the speakers plan is a direct reduction of 1.5 trillion dollars today, whose absence will cascade through the nations economy over the next year, putting less money in play for everyone, as its lack creates shrinking revenues from top to bottom.

Think about what you asking for: More recession and more unemployment. Is that really what the US needs to strive for right now?

Because frankly -- it sounds like failure talk to me.
edit on 28-7-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

It would take months to even get it ratified by a majority of states. Congress just can't add an amendment to the Constitution. The states have to vote. Or did they change that while I wasn't watching?

It is very unrealistic. I think they should come back to earth, do what good they can and stop throwing temper tantrums. Sometimes it seems like one party is so out to get the other party that they are willing to sacrifice all of us! Both are guilty.

<< 1    3 >>

join