It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ATS has done to me as a young person in american society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone out there in the vast land of ATS and would like to thank yall for this community we have here.

I have had this account for awhile but have just scrolled through topics but never posting, just learning and observing. I was 15 when i created this account 3 years ago and ive grown so much and have changed as a person because of this website. Before knowing of this sites existence i would mindlessly go through my days at school come home and just take in everything that i was told and believe it without even thinking i could be lied. In my head the teachers the goverment and police were here to protect me and i had faith in them.

In three years i have changed alot. I now question alot of things the goverment stands for the lies whether it be about 9/11, the bailout or various other topics. I now know about how capitalism is destroying the middle class and the poor get poorer while the rich get richer. i have spent so much of my time on this site just learning and i think its absolutely amazing what is being done here. even in day to day things if people are talking about a controversial topic ill stand up and give my opinion about it even if its looked down upon because its against the "government". I have a voice and i use it to influence those around me in an attempt to get the brainwashed sheeple to wake up.

thank you ats :]

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Welcome to the deep end of the pool !!

Welcome to ATS from Texas..Enjoy

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dkhurricane

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Welcome! OL is sure a mod will be along soon to help out with an informative post etc. I also recommend utilizing the green chat voyuer function on the ATS tool bar to the bottom of most ATS webpages [aka the ribbon]! It will enable you to watch who and what is being posted in chat but unfortunately you wont be able to join or chat back until your post count reaches 200 posts or so.

Reply to this post with the reply function up top right of this post and that'll be another post towards your mandatory 20 posts before you can start your own threads

Please message me using the message button on far left ATS tool bar [after you have made at least 20 posts] if you require any further help whatsoever!

Peace and much love!

Sincerely OL [OmegaLogos]

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What ATS has done -to- me: ATS has caused me to experience this horrible state of anxiety when I am first laying down at night, and when I first wake up. My mind does nearly nothing but race about my posts and threads.

Yet.......I keep coming back for more!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hi, Dkhurricane,

Glad to have you. Great to see a young person like you so interested government and current events. You sound very mature. Young people like you give me hope for our future.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

What ATS has done to me as a young person in american society

That was a really nice thing to offer... but I can't say that it's much to celebrate.

Now, please don't read this entirely as a negative. Keeping an open mind has always been important. Taking the time to examine, evaluate and scrutinize things that so many take for granted, means that those who would take you for granted as an avenue to advantage, don't get the free ride.

The virtue and perfection of cynicism is that you are rarely, if ever, wrong and never at all disappointed when you are.

The downside is that you'll never look at the world the same again. There will never be another position of authority or expertise that you will accept as-is. Every thing and every single one is suspect... and even though you will find the satisfaction, there is also that loss of trust.

You're too young to know this kind of thing, but too old now to ignore it.

___/|\___
Namaste

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Hi dkhurricane, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thanks for finally speaking up here. It is good to hear that a lot of this discussion is making a difference and you are able to sort out the good information from the bad. This is a big complex world with a lot of big complex problems that are going to need big complex solutions if we are to sort it all out and keep it on track. Take care.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Just one addendum to what you are saying - because I think it is good that you are aware and questioning & forming your own opinions.

Capitalism is not an enforced, artificial system like Communism, which depends on people acting a certain way. Capitalism is the STUDY of what people do when they are left to their own devices and act in their own pure self-interest. Capitalism is eBay and estate auctions - capitalism is the barter system. It's what happens on every black market in the world. It's the purest form of self-regulation through selfish motivation. Nothing is as reliable as the fact that every person will act in his own selfish best interests before he does anything else.

BUT - America no longer practices capitalism. The government, instead of imposing only those policies that would protect the individual (because this is necessary with capitalism in a country such as the USA that is supposed to protect individual rights) and allow capitalism itself to flourish in a fair way, has passed laws that allow CORPORATIONS to flourish. This is not the same thing. It is a terrible thing. Capitalism gets blamed when the blame really lies with 150 years of lawmakers who were completely ignorant of economic theory and passed ignorant laws. I suppose it is inevitable.

America has a government-enforced economic system of CORPORATISM. Right now, as I speak, the Supreme Court is passing verdict after verdict that protects the companies and marginalizes the individual. Class-action lawsuits will soon be a thing of the past. This is one of our last bastions of hope against the corporations, and we're losing the right.

Worse than that, this economic system has completely corrupted our government, such that politicians rely on those corporate donations to survive. Every person making laws in this country is indebted to corporations and cannot prioritize the individual. This corruption runs SO deep that I think it will unravel the country.

It is a dark day when capitalism is mistaken for corporatism. This confusion is also why I fear for the future of America.

Keep educating yourself, keep seeking knowledge. Knowledge is freedom...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Hi! I feel the same way. ATS has added a great deal to my growth as a person and I'm happy to say that I've many new friends here.

Don't get hung up on the negativity and stories of evil done in the world, They can really drag you down.
Still, it's reality that we all must deal with and sometimes we find tools to use here that help us together in this journey called life.
Most people do not have the patience to read and observe without having to interject their own thoughts in to the discussion. This also shows you to be a humble person, something I have great respect for,
If you have questions or comments feel free to contact myself of any other staff member.
We're here for you.

Glad you've decided to step out of the shadows and join us

Asktheanimals
edit on 28-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm 19 and created my account 5-6 years ago. It's good to see other youth awake and non apathetic in society.

But in all reality I feel bad about my future. Kinda hopeless, there are no jobs now.. how is there going to be some when I am 25. Just makes me feel depressed when I think about things.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Well done dkh -- well done.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Welcome and good for you. Let me also add that you should not ignore your youth. What I mean by that is take time to be who you are. Enjoy things that mean alot to you. Get away from the dismal news and be a kid. Yes I use the term "kid" loosely I know your not a child but still you have alot of fun ahead of you so don't grow up too fast. Also remember to listen to your elders, they can teach you so much. I remember in debates with my Dad growing up he would always add...."listen kid I've been 18 you've never been 40" or whatever the age difference would be at the time of the discussion. You are well on your way and this site is a great learning tool but take my word for it, it can also cause mild depression if you let it.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Welcome!

I myself was awakened nearly a decade ago, and ATS has cemented a lot of my views and opened my eyes to the truth of the world beyond the illusion, viewing beyond the veil.

I do sometimes miss those days of ignorance, and I can truly understand why many choose to be deaf, mute, and blind sheep. As it seems the more one knows, the more burden one receives.

Although I don't think I would trade what I know, for the convenience of feeling an ignorant bliss.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Just one addendum to what you are saying - because I think it is good that you are aware and questioning & forming your own opinions.

Capitalism is not an enforced, artificial system like Communism, which depends on people acting a certain way. Capitalism is the STUDY of what people do when they are left to their own devices and act in their own pure self-interest. Capitalism is eBay and estate auctions - capitalism is the barter system. It's what happens on every black market in the world. It's the purest form of self-regulation through selfish motivation. Nothing is as reliable as the fact that every person will act in his own selfish best interests before he does anything else.

BUT - America no longer practices capitalism. The government, instead of imposing only those policies that would protect the individual (because this is necessary with capitalism in a country such as the USA that is supposed to protect individual rights) and allow capitalism itself to flourish in a fair way, has passed laws that allow CORPORATIONS to flourish. This is not the same thing. It is a terrible thing. Capitalism gets blamed when the blame really lies with 150 years of lawmakers who were completely ignorant of economic theory and passed ignorant laws. I suppose it is inevitable.

America has a government-enforced economic system of CORPORATISM. Right now, as I speak, the Supreme Court is passing verdict after verdict that protects the companies and marginalizes the individual. Class-action lawsuits will soon be a thing of the past. This is one of our last bastions of hope against the corporations, and we're losing the right.

Worse than that, this economic system has completely corrupted our government, such that politicians rely on those corporate donations to survive. Every person making laws in this country is indebted to corporations and cannot prioritize the individual. This corruption runs SO deep that I think it will unravel the country.

It is a dark day when capitalism is mistaken for corporatism. This confusion is also why I fear for the future of America.

Keep educating yourself, keep seeking knowledge. Knowledge is freedom...
Couldn't have said it better, great reply.

new topics

top topics

join