It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musical epiphany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I used to listen to hip-hop and whatever was on the charts until I heard a song that completely amazed me. The song was Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Guns N Roses. My dad was listening to it and I immediatly froze up and in that very moment my taste for music changed drastically, within a month I started playing guitar, I was discovering a whole new side of music and developed a deep admiration and respect for musicians. This was 6 years ago and even today, I am discovering new music (which ironically is old music), I still play the guitar along with the piano, harmonica and a few other instruments that I am dabbling in. And every single time the song Knockin' On Heaven's Door starts up, I feel the same way I felt the first time I heard it.

The downside is I can't listen to pop anymore. At all. I find it absolutely repetive and non-sensical. Yet some of my favorite songs range from metal to classical, including rock, blues, and punk.

My favorite artists include Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, ACDC, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Mozart, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Dio, Boston, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Chris DeBurgh, David Bowie, CCR, Cinderella, Donovan, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Eagles, Queen, Dream Theatre, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Jackson Browne, Iron Maiden, Meatloaf, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Johnny Cash, Judas Priest, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steelheart, Motley Crue, Poison, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, Journey, Neil Young, Pter Frampton, Kiss, Oasis, Scorpions, Skid Row, The Ramones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Pantera, The Who, Tracy Chapman, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc etc etc I could go on and on. I am somewhat leaniant towards classic rock, but I am proud to say I have a very wide range of music that grows with every waking hour which all started from a single song that I overheard almost 6 years ago.

Music has now become my obsession, an escape which brings me peace of mind. So I was wondering if anybody else has ever had this kind of musical epiphany? Where one song introduced you to a whole new world of music.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Tool, Coheed, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Damian Marley, Alborosie, ahh the list can go on and on. I never used to listen to anything other than rap/hip hop/rnb, its what I was raised on. But around 17/18 yrs old I started dabbling into other genres to see what I was missing. One of the best decisions I ever made.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

I had a chance to see Damian Marley live as an opening act for Van Halen (odd right?) and it also opened my mind to another side of music I was missing out on. Which is also how I discovered Cinderella (opening for scorpions). Music is probably the biggest part of my live at this moment.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Love rears its ugly head, by Living Colour.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

I have to say those are some really great musicians (planet X). And as for religious bands, I am not religious either but Collective Soul is a great band! So is Living Colour and Chris August is not bad either, he has some really cool songs, very religious lyrics, but great voice!

Alexi Murdoch and Simon Lynge are awesome live singers btw, I highly recommend checking them out! (Orange Sky by Alexi and Love Comes Back To You by Simon)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Alexi and Simon ... ahhh ... if you like that kind of mellow pop you'll probably love this..

I must have listened to this a few hundred times....Its a wonder my CD of it still works

Thrown in for good measure...I love playing this song live

edit on 27/7/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, ACDC, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Mozart, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Dio, Boston, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Chris DeBurgh, David Bowie, CCR, Cinderella, Donovan, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Eagles, Queen, Dream Theatre, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Jackson Browne, Iron Maiden, Meatloaf, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, Johnny Cash, Judas Priest, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steelheart, Motley Crue, Poison, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, Journey, Neil Young, Pter Frampton, Kiss, Oasis, Scorpions, Skid Row, The Ramones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Pantera, The Who, Tracy Chapman, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters,

Looks like my local radio station's playlist for every day of the week. Just goes to show one man's pop is another man's obscure.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

Music is powerful stuff. It can move a person to do many things, and it can certainly alter ones life. Whether you're on the listening end or the creating end, it's mighty powerful stuff.

I agree, the popular music these days is mindless crap. Not all of it is crap, mind you, just MOST of it. That's my opinion anyways. It seems you don't have to have a shred of musical talent these days. Like you, I prefer the older stuff, but I also appreciate the lesser known, independent bands that carve out a new niche.

By the way, 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' was originally written and performed by Bob Dylan. Not that I'm a huge Dylan fan, but just thought I'd point that out and give credit where credit is due.

new topics

top topics

join