It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's WISE Mission Finds First Trojan Asteroid Sharing Earth's Orbit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
Dwell mostly in daylight... Okay, so what about radio telescopes? Why didn't they pick it up?

It is my belief (and correct me if I'm wrong) that asteroids do not emit radio signals or energy.

~~~~

Ahh, I see this has been addressed. Sorry. Great article. Good to see that we still making discoveries. Life would be pretty boring with those discoveries. Carry on.
edit on 28-7-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

. . . . a brown dwarf certainly - its gravitation effects . . . . . .

They're called "little people". -sheesh-

I don't know why people are surprized that we still find stuff in our solar system.. We find mammals that have never been discovered every decade, and they are ON the planet.
edit on 28-7-2011 by beezzer because: al

Hey beezer

Regarding eploration of our planet and not space......here's a question for you.

How many people have been to the deepest part of our oceans and how many have stood on the moon ??

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Hey beezer

Regarding eploration of our planet and not space......here's a question for you.

How many people have been to the deepest part of our oceans and how many have stood on the moon ??

PDUK

Damned good question.
12 on the moon.

None in the deepest part of the ocean.

AmIright? AmIright?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Beezer..

No actually.........

Your right about the Moon...there were 12 BUT deepest part of the Ocean there were 2........!!!

Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard were two USA Navy divers who went to the bottom of the Mariana Trench in 1960 !!
en.wikipedia.org...

I saw this on TV this week and it was fascinating................ they were in a chamber no bigger than a Fridge Freezer, next to each other ...

Don Walsh is still alive and therefore the only LIVING man to have dived to the deepest point on the planet....................more exclusive than the Astronaughts....

PDUK

edit on 28-7-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

Okay. For those still having difficulty with the nomenclature, this is a satellite in orbit round the Sun, not round Earth. It is not in any kind of Earth orbit, it is located at a Trojan point on Earth’s orbit round the Sun. There are two such points, and when you park yourself in one of them you stay in the same position relative to Earth until you decide to move, or someone else moves you.

Objects at the Trojan points are very hard to see from Earth against the solar dazzle (and I'm not talking just light here but a broad spread of electromagnetic frequencies). On the other hand, Earth is perfectly visible from the Trojans, brilliantly sunlit and showing its entire face once every 24 hours.

For beings with suitable telescopes, the Trojans are perfect observation towers from which to conduct a surveillance of our planet without being too obviously visible themselves. No fuel expended in keeping station, no highly noticeable manouevres from one place to another in solar orbit. Perfect.

One thousand feet sounds to me like a good diameter for a starship. And yes, unless the thing is as dense as a neutron star, that’s far too small to create any gravitational perturbations which would betray its position.

The reason this object was never spotted before is because it wasn’t there until recently.

I wonder what it will do next.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I wonder if this is the "tip of the iceberg" as far as WISE discoveries are concerned? My greatest hope is that evidence of planet sized objects beyond the Kuiper Belt (maybe the size of Mars, or even larger) is already hiding in the mountain of WISE data that will be analysed over the next few years.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomten
reply to post by N34Li3Z

This is the news release:

- - - NASA News Letter - - -

News release: 2011-230 July 27, 2011

NASA's Wise Mission Finds First Trojan Asteroid Sharing Earth's Orbit

Asteroid 2010 TK7 is not a good target because it travels too far above and below the plane of Earth's orbit, which would require large amounts of fuel to reach it.

if it's not a good target for reasons of current engineering and lack of ability due to fuel constraints, then what asteroid do you think is a good "target?" (question to NASA)

anyone know what a good target would be, requiring less fuel than this asteroid they said is the closest?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

how many movies are there about aliens hiding in the ocean, versus aliens coming from outer space?

I can think of only one blockbuster movie about it, the Abyss, but I know there are others. With so much unexplored depths of the oceans, it would make sense, if there were "aliens" to live in the ocean, rather than
outer space, it's safer, less energy needed for travel, and as opposed to the vacuum of space, the ocean holds
a LOT of h2O which is an abundant energy supply

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

are you Richard Belzer? =P ;^)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

how many movies are there about aliens hiding in the ocean, versus aliens coming from outer space?

I can think of only one blockbuster movie about it, the Abyss, but I know there are others. With so much unexplored depths of the oceans, it would make sense, if there were "aliens" to live in the ocean, rather than
outer space, it's safer, less energy needed for travel, and as opposed to the vacuum of space, the ocean holds
a LOT of h2O which is an abundant energy supply

I think the point made here was the fact that for all the Space Exploration we try and do as a species (and rightly so) we know actually VERY little about the Abundant and enourmous Vastness of the Oceans on our OWN planet......the one we live on......

The sheer scale of our oceans are something which most people do not understand and completely take forgranted....

What is it......80%, 85% 90% of the planets surface is water / ocean................in the deepest parts it reaches 10,000 ft PLUS.....there are all sorts of weird creatures down there....... Snails made of Metal !! True......... fish at depths of 10,000 feet with all that pressure.............

We know so Little about where we live and the effect we have on it !!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think this could be possible,you astronomy buffs, give this question a test drive...

What if:

Another asteroid impacts this trojan asteroid, knocking it out of its LaGrange or L5 position, knocking it either closer toward or away from the sun.

As this trojan asteroid tries to rejoin its L5 position (if its possible), if its closer to the Suns gravitational influence, that will increase its speed thereby causing it to move further away, and further out of our shared orbit (with earth).

As it speeds up and passes this L5 sweet spot, it then is now caught in the Earth gravitational influence more than the sun, thereby causing it to loop back around and get caught into a series of loops that basically trys to rejoin its previous position of equilibrium, between the sun's gravity, and earth's.

So as this new loop begins with an impact from another asteroid, could Earth now be inside its new set of trajectories? If it does, couldnt there also be a main asteroid earth collision, along with other little debris from the collision? Or possibly two asteroid impacts, plus debris.... one being the trojan, the other being the catalyst asteroid that collided with it, and the debris being from the collision itself?

Just throwing that out there....

Its fine that we may know with a good deal of certainty if any near earth asteroids will collide with Earth, but what about asteroids that might collide with other near by asteroids, thereby resulting in a new result that eventually means Earth gets hit?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
by the way.... who would even be running numbers on a celestial body that we didnt know was there, until a few months ago?

Im sure the math could be done, if a possible collision course between these trojan asteroids and other asteroids (or comets), could get a reasonable result in a model somewhere....

But what im saying, maybe there are other asteroids yet, that are positioned that we cant readily see, that could effect these new found asteroids in ways that include earth's orbital path?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Do you know What.............???

It's just one big game of MARBLES !!!!

PDUK

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i bet you a "near miss" on a near earth collision might have also have a chance of a direct hit on a trojan swarm of asteriods, or a greek swarm of asteroids for that matter (if we have them...probably do).

could just the right disturbance to either group, result in a looping trajectory that would result in a collision with Earth?

Im no physicist, but to me at least that seams possible...

We dont have to talk about gravity tugging on them to pull toward earth, or earth putting on the brakes and the trojan swarm rear ending us, but rather one single catalyst collision that sets things into motion, that would effect our planet as a result...

What if a Levy-Shoemaker slammed into a swarm of asteriods that have been following us, or a swarm thats ahead of us, is that too far fetched to think he result could give Earth a black eye from the ricocheting result??

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I read the article right this rock is in the deadzone meaning if we were to draw a triangle from the Earth to the sun then to the asteroid it would be a perfect triangle. 92,955,807.3 miles away, this thing is about as threatening as a box full of kittens.The real question is if they found this what else is on our orbital path? Possibly something running opposite side of the sun that we will never be able to see even from the moon. This brings up to many questions. Good find OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rainyday

Any position in Earth's orbit other than the L4 and L5 points is unstable. No object would remain there.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think it's worth pointing out here that "sharing Earth's orbit" is a misleading term. Trojan asteroids do not have the same orbital characteristics as the planet to which they are "connected". 2010 TK7 has a greater eccentricity (0.191) and orbital inclination (20.9 degrees). However, the asteroid "oscillates" around the L4 Lagrange point (60 degrees ahead of our planet), and appears to be in a stable resonance with Earth. This is exactly the same as the Trojan asteroids that "share" Jupiter's orbit. Diagrams always show these in two tight little groups that are 60 degrees ahead and behind Jupiter, but again that is completely misleading. It makes the casual observer assume that those asteroids remain in that position at all times, and basically move along Jupiter's orbital path, but that is incorrect. They each have vastly different inclinations and eccentricities. Some remain relatively close to the L4 or L5 Lagrange points, but others move a considerable distance back and forth. However, they ALL librate around one of these two points, and have a stable gravitational relationship with Jupiter and the Sun.
edit on 30-7-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
NASA is about science. Science is about learning new things.

Yeah new things... like Asteroid 2010 KQ

Turns out that is an old rocket booster

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

anyone know what a good target would be, requiring less fuel than this asteroid they said is the closest?

You do realize that one farther away could use less fuel, right?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

True. But overly detailed and likely to confuse those who have never even heard of a Trojan point before now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join