It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea demands peace treaty with US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

North Korea demands peace treaty with US

news.yahoo.com

North Korea demanded Wednesday that the United States sign a peace treaty formally ending the Korean War, as a senior North Korean diplomat visited New York to negotiate ways to restart six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. From what I know, with the current treaties and alliances of nations, if North Korea was to attack South Korea the world would essentially all be at war with each other, so if North Korea makes peace with the USA than maybe they may save us all, or doom us all. I don't know completely what to think of this but I would like to hear your thoughts on it

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Kim Jung IL finally beat Pac-Man. South Korea is now safe.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by typwar

Yeah this is good news, why wouldn't it be? Maybe if this happens, North Korea will get rid of their "Screw everybody but us" mentality and be more internationally active.

The six-nation talks group the two Koreas, the United States, China, Japan and Russia. They were initially designed to provide the North with security guarantees and economic assistance in return for its nuclear dismantlement.
Why is it that the United States feels it's the only country that can have nuclear weapons? This website says that we have over 10,000. I don't understand the double standard that we have, we can have tons of nuclear weapons, but if another country that's not our ally has even a couple, they're a huge threat and they need to get rid of them.

Aren't nuclear weapons basically an insurance policy anyway? If the US or any other country for that matter does anything crazy, such as launches a few nukes at North Korea, don't they just have those to fire back and retaliate, as a sort of last ditch mutually assured destruction insurance?

I think either all countries should have nukes, or none should have nukes.
edit on 27-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by typwar

What, what, what???

Did I miss something here?

This doesn't make sense to me... What is going on?

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh wait now I get it. When did this come out?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by typwar

They want money again. That is always the case with them.

Any Treaty would need to include them doing away with their nuclear weapons and arms trade with Terrorist harboring countries. It won't happen; they just want some money.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
hi op
north korea DEMANDS an apology
i cant see this ending very well

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

You seem to have zero knowledge about North Korea? Read up on the topic and you will change your mind.

Their leader is insane. Clinically insane I mean. Their people are starving in huge numbers as every dime and most food goes to military and nuclear weapons. Their people have been cut off from outside information for decades and are indoctrinated from youth on. Children start training to kill Westerners at Pre-School age with fully automatic weapons. They know nothing of the real world.

North Korea is a unique case in this world.

Why do you want any more countries to have nuclear weapons anyway? You mad?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

That's the NK we all know and love.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by typwar

I think this is a very ignorant attempt at deception on the North Koreans part. I think they want the US to sign something that would basically recognize them as an independent state (which South Korea does not). If such a treaty were signed, NK could restart the war with SK and the US would be be under a lot of international pressure if they attempted to intervene and help the South Koreans.

I do believe that the Korean war will start again fairly soon. But how successful the North Koreans will be is anyone's guess. While they have significant military power; their economy and all around standard of living is very very low. That is why it is reasonable to postulate that North Korea's attack on SK will be out of desperation and once the attack begins...there will be no going back. The war will end by either a quick NK claiming the most land and declaring a ceasefire, then pleading to both the South Koreans and the international community for the reunification of Korea as fast as possible. Or a heavy drawn out war which will lead to the destruction of NK and its absorption (IMO) into the PRC.

Just my two cents

edit on 27-7-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

You seem to have zero knowledge about North Korea? Read up on the topic and you will change your mind.
I know plenty about North Korea. Their people are brainwashed from birth and treat Kim Jong Il like a God. If anybody leaves the country, their family is either killed or put in concentration camps, possibly for the rest of their lives. It's a messed up place, but I have "read up on the topic".

Their leader is insane. Clinically insane I mean. Their people are starving in huge numbers as every dime and most food goes to military and nuclear weapons. Their people have been cut off from outside information for decades and are indoctrinated from youth on. Children start training to kill Westerners at Pre-School age with fully automatic weapons. They know nothing of the real world.
....Yeah, I guess a power-hungry dictactor who completely despises the US isn't the best fella the have nuclear weapons at his disposal. Would he just snap one day and launch an all out nuclear attack on the US? I doubt it, but like you said, he's "clinically insane", so it's a possibility.

Why do you want any more countries to have nuclear weapons anyway? You mad?
I don't, I think no countries should have them because all it takes is one launch which sets of a chain reaction and could kill practically all life on earth.
edit on 27-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
it sounds like a good chance to get things moving to peace again.
pay them a billion and set course for unification of north and south, cheap for one less of the axis of evil.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Thanks for the reply. You are aware then.

You see, I'm sitting at a primary target right now inside the range of NK's weapons. It's always a concern that they have the ability. Anchorage is a likely target. I doubt they the weapon would make it here before being shot down however.

I do think that there is a risk here. This is not even remotely like any other situation on the planet.

My concern now is Obama is seen as weak around the globe and we are talking about insanity here. You can not predict what will happen based on any kind of logic.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

We have paid them off over and over again. Nothing changes. It's a trick to get money from us.

They are starving to death. Their country is completely denuded and the arable land destroyed. Anything that will burn is burned for survival. This is a truly unique situation it seems to me.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I believe they lost all credibility and chance of getting something more than their passport signed at the DMZ meeting hut when they made it a demand. Umm..since when do peace treaties between two sovereign and capable nations get conducted by pressure and force? Oh that's the case when a war ends and one side if broken and ruined. They don't have much choice....but we're over half a century past when North Korea got their butts pounded so far into dust, China had too risk a 3rd world war just to insure enough North Koreans were still alive at the end to govern what China gave back to them

The regime in Pyongyang makes a real habit of totally misjudging their position and importance in the world. I also stand firm in saying that WHEN (not if) Kimmy takes matters one step too far one of these days, it'll be Chinese J-10's and JH-7's he looks out his window to see blowing his capital city the last baby steps back into antiquity. I make a prediction that when push comes to shove on the Korean question...China will literally kill their own client to rob the United States of a legitimate excuse to multiply forces stationed anywhere near the Chinese borders.

edit on 27-7-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

didnt the u.s. demand certain terms or conditions for paying the money you mention ?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I do think that there is a risk here. This is not even remotely like any other situation on the planet.
IMO if Kim Jong Il would launch a nuclear attack on the US, it would have been immediately after his stroke. He just about died, and if his intentions were really to raise some hell over here in the states, I think he would have done it then.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We can make peace and start doing good business too, why not?.....we don't need to love each other or sleep together. There must be something we can get from them.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

While I pray for a peaceful solution, the NK economy and natural resources are very limited (or at least thats what data has shown, the NK may be simply lying about their natural resources). And if there is one thing the US cares about it is how much money they can make off of you. We would also have to leap over the age old hurtle of Democratic Capitalism vs Communism (I would classify NK as a pseudo-dictator/theocratic/communism).

Our relationship with China is a good example. It has gotten better simply because they adopted capitalistic principles into their economic policies which is all the US needs to like you. Forget about civil liberties and human rights all the US cares is that paper.

NK and SK would be so much better off if they simply dissolved the governments which were formed by the great powers after WW2 without the Koreans permission. And form their own type of government which Syngman Rhee (not a nice guy) and Kim Il-Sung (not very nice either) wanted to do in the first place, before they were both suckered in by their respective foreign influences (i.e. The United States, The Peoples Republic of China, and The Soviet Union).

Communism and Democratic Capitalism has destroyed that part of the world.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by typwar

They want money again. That is always the case with them.

My first thought exactly. As soon as they meet at the table NK will threaten to withdraw from talks unless concessions are made. NK will repeat this process until the US and its allies withdraw in frustration.

And the wheel goes round and round.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join