It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 3 Sitcoms - what you got?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm gonna go with...in reverse order

No 3
The fantastic duo that are simon pegg & Nick Frost (before they went all hollywood)

SPACED

spaced - series 1, episode 1

No2
Although its about 10 years old now, the first series was a masterclass in observational comedy and is in my opinion a timeless classic

THE OFFICE

that famous dance - dubstep style!

And in at Number 1...has to be the mighty PEEP SHOW. Original and completely hilarious

series 4, episode 1..my personal favourite

please share yours, i'd be interested in seeing something more obscure that i haven't seen before!

edit on 27-7-2011 by discostu123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Out of your list, ive only heard of the Office, which is decent...

My top 3 in order are:

1. Seinfeld
2. Everybody Loves Raymond
3. That 70's Show

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

discostu123 i'm sorry to write that i've never seen 2 of your 3 air in my area. and the link won't work where i am; this is a truly sad day.

'the office' was incredible humor. i give ricky gervais and the lot a thumbs up for ending it in style. stateside they either don't give a new vehicle much chance to get started or they try to milk it well beyond its years.

my picks:

one of my all-time favorites from the UK is Fawlty Towers. john cleese could make you cringe in horror while laughing in sheer delight. brilliant cast, incredible writing.

on this side of the pond i have to go with M.A.S.H. . despite it being a war-based sitcom most episodes nearly guarantee a few laugh out louds.

last i'd choose Married with Children. the dysfunctional family no one wants as a neighbor, their dedication to life without redeeming qualities let the staff writers imaginations run amuck. i think christina applegate never got the kudos she deserved, as her bimbo brained character seeking model/actress fame often made her the fall guy in hysterical fashion. loved that show.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
In no particular order:

The Young Ones
All in the Family
And believe it or not, Two and a Half Men.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
hi

mine is
red dwarf
blackadder
bottom

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

red dwarf was ace...went a bit crappy towards the end though...i read somewhere that they are planning a new series. i also have danny jon jules as a friend on facebook - my claim to fame lol

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

have you ever seen 'filthy rich and catflap'? its the series rik mayall and ade edmonson did between the young ones and bottom..a weird combo of the two!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

hi,
i dont tend to watch much US comedy shows although i really like 'the middle' kind of like a a real life version of the simpsons

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

hi
red dwarf did go crappy towards the end but series 1-6 funny as hell
im jelouse that ur dannys friend lol
do u know him well
a while back in the papers
it said he was arrested in his pjs weilding a samuri and attacking a milkman lol
then again that was the sun lol

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
1. Friends
2. Seinfeld
3. Cheers

For me. All these shows have a great ensemble cast, a great mix of characters, and fairly relatable everyday situations that audiences can identify with. In addition, each lasted for many seasons at the top of their game, and are still beloved by audiences today.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Ab fab
blackadder, ( except series one) and that particularly good one based on dickens christms carrol, where blackadder p[ays the kindest man on earth, but soon finds out that being a decent person doesnt pay of , a quote from that episode (not word for word), " Merry christmas Mr blackadder, i thought you might have a little present for me or maybe a gift for Tiny Tim
Blackadder: Mrs scratcett, Tiny Tim is 6 foot 4 and built like a brick privvy.
Scratett starts blubbing and being the kind and generous man Blackadder is he dcidrs to bring out his entire years profit of 17 pounds.
Blackadder offers to buy the matches ad when ask scrattcet how much they are, she replies,
"a quid a match".

This programmme is pure quality.
I also have a soft spot for th vicar of Dib and the Royle family.,

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Even though I'm from the states...I would like to throw in my 3 favorite's from the UK:

1 - Open all Hours

2 - The Fall and Risw of Reginald Perrin

3 - Blackadder

Oldies but Goodies!!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
league of gentlemen was great. Originally saw it without the laughtrack...there are many times when you should not laugh, but rather be appalled.

if you like black comedy....this is genius

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Scrubs
Seinfeld
King of Queens

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Top 3 all time for me:

Cheers
Seinfeld
Night Court

Always thought Bob Newhart was very funny, and honourable mentions include WKRP in Cincinnatti, Home Improvment, News Radio, Taxi.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Married with Children, and I can't decide for #3 so I'll just make a list of my other favorites: Home Improvement, That 70's Show, Friends, Two and a Half Men, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Boy Meets World

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Arent they redoing Red Dwarf? Love that show.

no particular order:

Third Rock from the Sun
Boston Legal
The Last Airbender

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The poor guy who played Al was actually a serious dramatic actor, who only took the role of Al after a lot of prompting. His career took a dive after that.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
league of gentlemen was great. Originally saw it without the laughtrack...there are many times when you should not laugh, but rather be appalled.

if you like black comedy....this is genius [/quote
HOW did i miss that one. Pure unadulturated genius. Very very british, YOUR MY WIFE NOW. Papa Lazalous and his wives with theyre made up eastern european language (guys, you had to be there).
The last series, well, that got a bit too black even for me, the group of people in the inflatable rubber kinky suits with breathing apparatus, (well come on what do you expect from the british eh?).
Anyway im off to have some special stuff for my supper, i better fetch a box of kleenex my nose is bleeding like hell. ,

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

The poor guy who played Al was actually a serious dramatic actor, who only took the role of Al after a lot of prompting. His career took a dive after that.

poor Ed O'Neill. reminds me of how Bat-Man nearly killed Adam West' career. i remember Ed in the movie 'Dutch', it was simply a horrible movie but that wasn't his fault. Ed had a great bit part in The Adventures of Ford Fairlane as a police detective who once had a major disco hit. very funny.

the best work I ever saw Ed O'Neill in was a TV series remake of a police series, it may have been Dragnet. the show was absolutely top-shelf, gritty hardcore police drama, and Ed really shined in the series. but the darn network just wouldn't leave it alone. first the show disappeared, then re-surfaced with some re-tooling. the new supporting cast was just fine and acceptable soon enough. but once again the network messed with the show, bouncing it around and not giving it a time slot to grow in. then it went off the air. what a shame.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join