It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diagnosed with Heatstroke, need your help/advice

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

congrats Justsaying: Now I will reveal what I am. An RN graduated many years ago and just retired.
You deserve a star yourself. You are but a student and already thinking beyond what many advanced Nurses would think. You have a diverse picture. Because I am getting old I omitted the possibility of any outside influence other than an additional illness. You hit the nail on the head. indeed what other medicines may be involved. Can you think of any other outside influence that may exacerbate his situation? and going in that direction why didn't those he came in contact initially think of this. You are a student and you got it....I should have, but I am getting old now.. to the OP keep in mind what you take into your body and inform anyone you talk to in re to your heat stroke.
Medicines that can help to create this situation? Anything that dehydrates. Removes electrolytes; there are even some medicines for depression, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. in deed diabetes can exacerbate it. I know I have it and watch it closely. so congrats! As a student, you are thinking very deeply and will make an excellent nurse. I pray you will be there to care for me when I need it. Good Job! very good indeed ..
DH

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, I have found unsweetened Coconut water to be extremely helpful in all ways. I purchase unsweetened Goya brand at the supermarket. You can pay more at a healthfood store. I find it to be ever much more helpful then Gatoraid type stuff - and a plus is its natural.
You can find information on this online.

I hope you feel better, please rest.

From an online source: "One of the most remarkable characteristics of coconut water is its chemical profile and mineral content. The primary minerals or electrolytes in coconut water are essentially the same as those found in human blood. For this reason, doctors have used it as an intravenous fluid for rehydration, pumping it directly into the patient's bloodstream. Numerous studies dating back over 60 years document the successful use of intravenous coconut water in the treatment of malnutrition and dehydration."

I am a sick Veteran and both the water and eating the oil has helped me tremendously. I cannot overstate this.The VA has handed me meds like candies - and yet Coconut has helped more then any other. It is antiviral and anti inflamatory. Sorry to stray. But the water might help you now, and in the future.

edit on 27-7-2011 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Thank you for the encouraging remarks, that makes my morning! Nursing school is so very hard and there have been times when I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I signed on for this, especially after experiencing teachers and nurses that eat their young. Your comments are very much appeciated!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I'm not on any medications, although I did try theraflu to see if it made me feel better (which it did not help a bit), which I feel did dehydrate me some and sent me backwards in progress. Thanks for your reply.

Heatstroke feels worse than the WORST flu you have ever had.

This is day five, I finally made it till about 2pm without "crashing", so I feel things may finally be looking up a little.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

Thanks fpr the coconut info... I've never heard of that. I will try it.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Thank you, thank you all so much. I have been so miserable! I felt like I was gonna die...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

No problem. Sorry for abandoning this thread. Looks like you came to the right place for advice. I definitely recommend in the future that people wishing to post to any sort of thread like this try to refrain from giving medical advice without knowing what they are talking about. Even the "common sense" approach of drinking more could have (not likely but...) gotten someone killed.

As for the Army gentleman asking about whether having heat stroke puts you at risk for future incidents, I have no idea. I know this is the case with things like seizures and other ailments but like I said, beyond me.

Great catches on skin turgor and other input. I'm impressed ATS. Well done.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

Agreed. As a 1st responder myself, I wonder how the OP can both have confirmed Heatstroke-dehydration...hopefully by medical personel...and yet not know how to treat it? Asking questions that should have been answered at the time of diagnosis....probably means he has not gotten any professional help/treatment. And they would probably have kept him until he was re-hydrated and out of danger.

In any event...I think you'd agree he should have been back to normal by now. Its not generally long term condition. Hence: I dont think he sought any treatment...especially by asking a forum what to do because he has to get back to work. Go to a physician!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LazloFarnsworth

Yeah, By "you came to the right place" I definitely mean "you were lucky this time." All in all, ATS is not a suitable place to ask for medical advice. However, it's the most... "professional" forum I know of. Could have been worse. Could have been 4chan lol.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I appreciate your concerns. I was stupid and waited till the third day to go to the doctor. I believe I almost died... let this be a lesson to those of you who hate to go to the doctor or think it's not as bad is it really is.
Heatstroke can cause damage to you kidney, liver, heart, and brain. It is not a small matter.

On that third day, I did have a urine test and CBC (Complete blood count/analysis) which concluded that I was still severely dehydrated. They did not give me an IV, and I thought I should have had one, along with many other people thinking this.

I did not have faith in the only doctor that was available to see me that day, one I had never seen before. I got a second opinion the next day, which accepted the advice/treatment of the first doctor.

I made this thread looking for advice from people who have suffered heatstroke.

I have since made contact with several people in my community that have confirmed that it took them up to six weeks to fully recover.

Six weeks to fully recover... the 6 hours of mowing and cutting up downed tree was definitely not worth it, although I had not choice (long story).

It took a full week, and I feel better now, although still completely exhausted by mid afternoon. Going back to work tomorrow... can't risk losing my job (you know the unemployment stories) and I am a single mom with children to care for.

Edit: and you guys are right, people have actually died from drinking too much water. And I will be more succeptable to the heat from now on.

edit on 31-7-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join