It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diagnosed with Heatstroke, need your help/advice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I worked out in the sun for hours on Sunday afternoon with the temp above 100 degrees, and am not usually out in the sun. I was sweating profusely and not drinking water like I should have.

I have been severely sick for 3 days now, unable to go to work, and was diagnosed today with heat stroke. I have been drinking Gatorade and water like crazy these past few days but a blood test today shows I am still dehydrated.

Does anyone have advice on how to get myself rehydrated and recover from this? I really need to be at work.

Thank your any help you can provide.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
drink water, gatorade and other light fluids, eat watermelon or other "juicy" type fruits, pee often flush your system out.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I worked out in the sun for hours on Sunday afternoon with the temp above 100 degrees, and am not usually out in the sun. I was sweating profusely and not drinking water like I should have.

I have been severely sick for 3 days now, unable to go to work, and was diagnosed today with heat stroke. I have been drinking Gatorade and water like crazy these past few days but a blood test today shows I am still dehydrated.

Does anyone have advice on how to get myself rehydrated and recover from this? I really need to be at work.

Thank your any help you can provide.

Try Dioralyte

www.netdoctor.co.uk...

They rehydrate you...and they have essential salts you need to stay hydrated.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Keep the water coming and get some IVs if you can.

When working in the heat, and when you notice that you stop sweating, it is past time to get out of the heat and get some water.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
try to cool down, your core might still be a bit too warm.
lying in a bath tub with water around 20 degrees celsius will do.
not with ice cubes or something like that, just to slowly bring you to normal temperature again.

edit on 27-7-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yeah, you need to keep drinking water and Gatorade. What I don't understand is if they say you are still dehydrated after 3 days, why didn't they keep you and give you an I.V?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm an EMT if that helps the weight of my post. Go easy on the liquids. When you drink more, your body believes there will be a continuous flow and will rid itself of even more liquid than you take in (save for what it requires to operate). Gatorade is a corporate gimmick. Slightly useful in some cases but not to you. If you must, you can try Pedialyte or some other drink of that sort. I concur with the other posts suggesting an IV. That's what you truly need. If you were diagnosed, which means confirmed by a medical professional, they should have already done this. How can you be certain you're truly dehydrated? Do you have the means to test this? Is it the color of your urine? That may be due to the Gatorade. Back off of caffeine. If your situation does not improve (within a few hours) you need to go to the E.R. as serious dehydration is a true medical emergency.

tl;dr: Stop drinking so much

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
avoid working ,you need to recover and only time will tell your body when that is ...no quick fixes just rest and drinking ...good luck

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

Maybe the EMT knows for sure, but from what I remember in the Amry, you may succumb to heat stoke easier now....is that correct? If so be more caution in the future. Good Luck.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Not to be an a** but shouldn't of you asked your doc these questions when diagnosed?

Also ...google is your friend.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

They tested my urine and did a complete CBC (blood test) and determined body fluids were still low

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I Asked about an I.V. and she said drinking water would do the same thing... didn't make sense to me

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ditto on NOT drinking too much water and avoiding caffeine, nicotine, etc.. Don't forget to eat something, soup or broth at least. Pedialyte has helped me recover from severe dehydration when I couldn't keep anything else down, but spoon-fulls at a time, not chugging bottles of it. If you denied IV fluids or other treatment at the emergency room, but you still haven't recovered on your own, you might think about going back. Heatstroke is no joke.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mudbeed

I did ask the doctor, said rest and lots of water. I have googled alot in the past three days. Problem is, I NEED to get back to work and sometimes people who have experienced this can give better advice that a doctor who has not.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thank you for the idea of pedialyte and idyolite(?) I never thought of that.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
First you need to see if you're still dehydrated - pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If the skin does not return to it's normal position within a minute you're still dehydrated and need to go get an IV infusion.
Eat small meals often rather than large meals 3x a day.
Severe heat stroke can cause damage to you brain and internal organs. Time will heal but there is little you can do to get back to normal aside from following your doctor's advice.
Good luck and I hope you get feeling better.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

As from someone also in the medical field I say ditch the Gatorade and drink water. Gatorade is nothing but garbage for the average person. Try to avoid unneeded exposure to the heat if at all possible.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Sanity Lost because: because editing is fun

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I am in the medical field and I agree with every word SpringHeeledJack said: If it has been three days, and you are still symptomatic you may need further treatment. Lay off the fluids. Gatorade is not really a miracle solution. Plain water could lead to water intoxication, and if you are still running a fever (you need to check it) you need to get to the ER. Are you having diarrhea? any other symptoms? It is possible to have an additional condition along with the heat stroke. Perhaps you should ask them to check your potassium and sodium levels?
I believe 3 days later you should be doing much better by now. What ever the situation it certainly doesn't sound like you should ignore your situation if it does not improve very soon.
For future reference: The best cure is prevention. I ride a bike well over 20 miles hard every day. Even in the heat I ride up to 40 and 50 miles sometimes up to and including century rides. I use a backpack full of ice water, Bottles with nutrient rich (electrolytes) not sugars) and constantly watch my pulse rate in the heat. I am 61 and have never become ill from the heat even in heavy stress situations.
t. so when you recover your best situation is to make sure you hydrate well and watch your electrolytes.. Eat at least two bananas a day when in the heat. along with melons and other fruits if possible.
But for now? if you are still having symptoms that prevent work you have a problem that needs to be checked.
Better safe than sorry. Star on this thread so others will look at it and hopefully not run into the same problems

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Thank you for the input. I too feel that from what I have read that I should be feeling better by now. I will ditch the Gatorade and get a second opinion I think.

And thank you everyone for your input and ideas!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Nursing student piping in......agreed that too much water will dilute your electrolytes so that could be one reason why you aren't recovering quick enough. Another question I have is what medications are you taking since this happened? Some meds are dehydrating and could also inhibit recovery. Just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join