It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Plans to Sink the International Space Station in 2020

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I say leave it up there and put some billboards on it.
Capitalism don't you just love it!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc

Just seems like a terrible waste of money they have poured into this thing to just have it throwed in the sea. It seems to me like they could find some seriously better ways to use it, even after all the years it would have been up there by 2020.

I quess we'll have to wait and see of what happens, but I do find this all a bit suspicious.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You think the whole shuttle program wasn't a waste of money? It was a facade while the triangles were being perfected and an amada of them being created.

I said a couple of weeks ago that this decisionto terminate the ISS would be soon announced, but it surprises me coming this early. I'll now predict that that deactivation will happen within a couple of year or less. Remember, those little Russian capsules are limited to what they can haul aloft. Something will break on the ISS that will probably require an emergency evacuation--not necessarily a hasty one--and its stated deadline time will be suddenly thrust forward. (The only reason to sustain it is for us to pay Russia huge sums to access it.)

Or perhaps there could be a dramatic rescure of the crew during an onboard disaster and a triangle will buzz up there and save the crew. How great of a way to announce and show the world these fabulous craft that we have kept in hiding for about three decades?

Like the wise, Jewish father of Jeff Goldbloom states in the movie "Independence Day." "you didn't really believe that they paid $500 for a hammer did you?."

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
sorry, guys you have a fox-news report here, and what is starting is: its all going down the drain thread. this is one report, you really believe all the investments are going to be thrown away ? there is a different truth we cannot see right now. i am convinced that these investment into the iss will not be wasted, no way.
untill i find a more reliable source, the iss is up there and giving good results on research etc.
this fox-news is so tricky and put out with a special purpose, but the iss has its value no matter what.

edit on 27-7-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Didnt the US military just test 2 new shuttle concepts with secret cargo to replace the older existing shuttles? And, thats the reason they were retiring them?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Dumping the space station was discussed years ago. I remember watching a TV show about it.

It is difficult and expensive to maintain and has no more usefulness. What was needed to be learned has been learned.

Focus needs to change to making a permanent science station on the moon or Mars.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

You sir are really strange and out-dated. Don't know where you get your information but Fox News is very dependable, and they aint #1 for nothing bud. Besides I am pretty sure they wouldn't make this up lol.

link   
Before everyone freaks out about the ISS being wasted in 2020, read the article.

Deorbiting the station in 2020 simply hasn't been discussed at all, knowledgeable sources told FoxNews.com.

This isn't the first time I've seen Russia come out with a statement that seems to be coming out of their own stovepipes," one congressional representative told FoxNews.com. "I would give it no credence at all."

Russia says it's comming down, the rest of the partners say no.

v/r
jaym19th

link   
Just my two cents here, but we do have a on the other hand, the way technology is moving forward in leaps and bounds, in ten years time, who knows what we may come up with to still be able to utilize it. So many things change from day to day much less 10 years from now.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

no offense, but you mean like "fair and balanced" ?
what if this news is brought up to put a bad light light on the current government ? like: what the hell is the government doing with our money ? where is this government leading our american nation ?
it seems to me like an attack to create disappointment in the current democratic government.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
it will come down 2012 be accident...
edit on 27-7-2011 by Hessdalen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Just seems like a terrible waste of money they have poured into this thing to just have it throwed in the sea. It seems to me like they could find some seriously better ways to use it, even after all the years it would have been up there by 2020.

I quess we'll have to wait and see of what happens, but I do find this all a bit suspicious.

www.foxnews.com

Why would you find this suspicious? It will be at the end of its useful life in 2020. Most people don't have cars that old.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

www.foxnews.com

You think the whole shuttle program wasn't a waste of money? It was a facade while the triangles were being perfected and an amada of them being created.

I said a couple of weeks ago that this decisionto terminate the ISS would be soon announced, but it surprises me coming this early. I'll now predict that that deactivation will happen within a couple of year or less. Remember, those little Russian capsules are limited to what they can haul aloft. Something will break on the ISS that will probably require an emergency evacuation--not necessarily a hasty one--and its stated deadline time will be suddenly thrust forward. (The only reason to sustain it is for us to pay Russia huge sums to access it.)

Or perhaps there could be a dramatic rescure of the crew during an onboard disaster and a triangle will buzz up there and save the crew. How great of a way to announce and show the world these fabulous craft that we have kept in hiding for about three decades?

Like the wise, Jewish father of Jeff Goldbloom states in the movie "Independence Day." "you didn't really believe that they paid $500 for a hammer did you?."

The emergency evacuation plan for the ISS already uses a SOYUZ escape module. No triangles needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
It's interesting that Russia gets to make the decision about its demise.
WTF happened to the US space program?

Has the US really sunk so low that we can't make the decision about something we invested the most money in?

My heart is breaking.

I think it might be appropriate to add at this point...

WTF happened to the United States.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

WTF happened to the United States.

Good question... Let me know when you get a real answer, will ya?

As far as the ISS, without the Russians it dies anyway... It is literally theirs now, to do as they wish with... If they choose tomorrow to evacuate the crew and a short time later deorbit it, who can argue with that?

The crews and equipment are dependent on Russia now.

The USA is too busy now shifting to a completely secret space program, with its top priority being primarily military objectives and super-secret unmanned missions.

The ISS is yours now Russia.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This part from the news article is kind of revealing....

Meanwhile, China moves ahead with plans for a competing space station of its own. China has an ambitious, decade-long plan beginning with the Tiangong-1 module the country plans to launch this year, which will culminate in a large space station around 2020.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
our government does not deserve another stinking dime.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
they dont really have a choice but to dump it in the sea... what else could they do?

it doesnt have capability to land.. they cant leave it space.. they cant smash it into solid land..

everything has a shelf life unfortunately and everything that has been put together, will at some point fall apart.. it is a huge job to maintain this to be in safe working order.. the older it gets, the more things can go wrong..

besides it will have put in a good service by 2020
edit on 27/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

Well said sir, always the voice of reason. You often seem to contribute quality posts, I can tell because your avatar is very memorable. There are a few ATS members that I recognize on an individual basis based on their avatars.

I agree, how do you land something you built in space? Is it really worth it to send crews up to dismantle the thing and retrieve it piece by piece? Didnt it take 20+ years just to assemble it? (yes i know it was modular, so 20 years to build it was just all the add-ons and after-thoughts. but still). This thing is longer than a football field.
By 2020 the tech is somewhat old, we can produce far superior electronics, radiation shielding, etc... its also an economic stimulus in a way. Commissioning a brand new space station would require a TON of money, but it also creates jobs. (this last arguement may be weak, but its at least slightly valid. you could counter with arguing where the tax payers dollar should end up, space exploration may take a back burner in your mind).

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i found another news source, it said they were first going to end iss in 2013 but extended to 2020. thats unbelievable, iss is the only space station human-kind has got up there and arent there hundreds of very important experiments that could be done on the iss ?
so untill there is a new space station up there, why let this one go ?

edit on 28-7-2011 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012srb

After ending the shuttle program Russia's Soyuz is the only way to get to and from the space station. They are in charge of the space age atm.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Or more like it's going to be replaced with something else.
Often the most logical and simplest answer is correct.

Do some research.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join