It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook co-founder comes back from Bilderberg and says this : anonymity on internet must end

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well not him ``directly``, but his marketing director, whch is the same thing really.

Facebook's Randi Zuckerberg: Cyberbullying Stops When Anonymity Online Ends

Randi Zuckerberg, Facebook’s marketing director, has a fix for cyberbullying: stop people from doing anything online without their names attached.

Facebook requires all members to use their real names and email addresses when joining the social network -- a policy that has been difficult at times to enforce, as the prevalence of spam accounts or profiles assigned to people’s pets suggest.

Zuckerberg, who is Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg’s sister, argued that putting an end to anonymity online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web.

“I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away,” she said during a panel discussion on social media hosted Tuesday evening by Marie Claire magazine. “People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. … I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”

Hughes, Chris R., Co-founder, Facebook

Of course all of it to ``protect the children``... Yeah BS Facebook... we know what you are up to, you're a bunch of sell outs, working for the elite. Screw you all.

Anyone with a brain was expecting this.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Well not him ``directly``, but his marketing director, whch is the same thing really.

Facebook's Randi Zuckerberg: Cyberbullying Stops When Anonymity Online Ends

Randi Zuckerberg, Facebook’s marketing director, has a fix for cyberbullying: stop people from doing anything online without their names attached.

Facebook requires all members to use their real names and email addresses when joining the social network -- a policy that has been difficult at times to enforce, as the prevalence of spam accounts or profiles assigned to people’s pets suggest.

Zuckerberg, who is Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg’s sister, argued that putting an end to anonymity online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web.

“I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away,” she said during a panel discussion on social media hosted Tuesday evening by Marie Claire magazine. “People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. … I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”

Hughes, Chris R., Co-founder, Facebook

Of course all of it to ``protect the children``... Yeah BS Facebook... we know what you are up to, you're a bunch of sell outs, working for the elite. Screw you all.

Anyone with a brain was expecting this.

Does he have a suggestion for stopping bullying and harrassment by our criminal governments? Now they're turning 'bullying and harrassment on the internet' into a huge issue? Now they care about people getting upset online? What absolute garbage.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think their using bullying and harassment as an excuse...I'm sure they don't really care too much about those things..at least not enough to chance how the internet is. Probably more for hackers and people who do illegal things using the internet.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Tunnels and VPN's are your friend.

Learn and use them if you really feel you must.

There will always be a "hidden" "secret" "anonymous" internet, within the internet, somehow somewhere.
edit on 27-7-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Perhaps you haven't seen all the terrible stories about cyber bullies!
They're going after your kids next.

And there's a jihadist behind every tree too.
This is about as much of issue as "voter fraud", very isolated incidents that the media plays up to make it look as though it were an actual problem.
Why don't address online fraud and financial scammers first?
Do that and maybe I'll give cyberbullying the time of day.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If you have a facebook account they know what you do online anyways. You give your real name on there, they have your IP address, MAC code etc....Its not hard to follow a known IP address and link it to the persons facebook account.

I havent had a facebook account for just over a month now....best thing ive ever done

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
If you have a facebook account they know what you do online anyways. You give your real name on there, they have your IP address, MAC code etc....Its not hard to follow a known IP address and link it to the persons facebook account.

I havent had a facebook account for just over a month now....best thing ive ever done

I resisted FB for years.

Finally I caved in to just be in touch with friends that are distant.

It is fine, as long as you manage it and use common sense.

I actually like it now, believe it or not and I was VERY VERY AGAINST for years.

Just depends what you want to get out of it or what your expectations are.

However, I resist Google+ and I always pick and choose my own Email, my own IM and my own social network,

Just let me glue them together, I can mix and match each service I chose for each one of their own benefits.

I actually pay for my email, very cheap, but I can get much more in return for a very small amount.

I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket like Google wants though; nuh uh, no way.

I resist google because they force me to use Gmail, sorry Google, I already have an email provider. Tough.

What we need is standards, not another IM locked in format war for social networks.

edit on 27-7-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why is it illegal to bully over a distance of thousands of miles,
with no threat of physical harm, while it is legal to bully a fellow student in the presence of a teacher.

All these issues are important.

I would just add this one forgotten promise.

If we are to do away with anonymity, I say let the famous go first. Publish their home addresses and the addresses of their parents and family. Lead by example. Show us how much better this way is. Then after every famous person is exposed, and only then, we can start making individual citizens famous one at a time.

"Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes"
-Andy Warhol

David Grouchy

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
"I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”
I thought this was America where you can "say whatever you want behind closed doors" all the hell you want to???

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Well yes but how long will it be before they pass laws to say that you are commiting an offece if you try to by-pass the system and you get ten years in jaill if caught !

Looks like we are going to need to break the law at some stage so may awell do it now me thinks.

They are so desperate that we have no alternative to the BS news the zionists control that they would prefure to close the net if they can not control it.

Action is needed but we have too many cowards to get much done by ourselves.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You know, the internet much like TV has a brilliant way to control the things you see on it. If you don't like what you are seeing or find some channels/websites offensive it is very easy to control it. TURN IT OFF !!!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_007

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Well yes but how long will it be before they pass laws to say that you are commiting an offece if you try to by-pass the system and you get ten years in jaill if caught !

Looks like we are going to need to break the law at some stage so may awell do it now me thinks.

They are so desperate that we have no alternative to the BS news the zionists control that they would prefure to close the net if they can not control it.

Action is needed but we have too many cowards to get much done by ourselves.

So start putting goodyear blimps into the sky above every town and then make a wireless MESH, it will get bigger and bigger over time.

Have you seen the IPv6 spec? Doesn't it contain much more identifying data in the packet headers?

I have no problem with my real ID on facebook, however on random boards such as ATS, I just use any old name becuase I don't take it seriously, really lol.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Perhaps you haven't seen all the terrible stories about cyber bullies!
They're going after your kids next.

And there's a jihadist behind every tree too.
This is about as much of issue as "voter fraud", very isolated incidents that the media plays up to make it look as though it were an actual problem.
Why don't address online fraud and financial scammers first?
Do that and maybe I'll give cyberbullying the time of day.

I totally agree, why not go after the text messaging scams and online theifs before going after the world. Saying you can't get out aggression behind a mask anymore .. its all one agenda playing all its cards.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's never going to happen. There will always be anonymity on the internet, now matter which way you slice it.

There will always be around, and if they implement something that you 'cant get around', someone will develop a way to get around it. It always happens that way. If your paranoid about your security, then don't do anything illegal on your computer.

Or you can mix and match some services such as Virtual machines, VPN, tunnels, i2p, Tor, what have you. There are plenty of ways.

Cyber bullying? your kidding me right? how about teaching our kids something healthy for a second here. "Oh, you're getting bullied online?... Let me teach you something, i learned a long time ago not to let other people bring you down, don't give them the satisfaction of reacting, they're just jealous because your smarter than them" etc. There are plenty of ways to stop 'cyber bullying', how about starting off with dealing with 'physical bullying', i was bullied like crazy, and the school district would do nothing for me. Perhaps that needs to be addressed first, words are words. They mean nothing when they're thousands of miles apart.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Bullying is a parenting problem...

.. Not a technical problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
the best advise, ever don't give out personal info.
if you didn't tell any body your name, then people
couldn't bully you on the net.

facebook, twitter,myspace, and other social sites, just provide an avenue for people who do such things to have access.

and who really believes, there's anonymity on the net. if tptb or some really computer savi individual want to find out who you are they can.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Anyone who has to use the "It's for the Children" statement should be smacked repeatedly until they get some common sense.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
the best advise, ever don't give out personal info.
if you didn't tell any body your name, then people
couldn't bully you on the net.

facebook, twitter,myspace, and other social sites, just provide an avenue for people who do such things to have access.

and who really believes, there's anonymity on the net. if tptb or some really computer savi individual want to find out who you are they can.

Have you heard of wardriving? if you combine that with ip masking, mac spoofing, and other related technologies, you will never be found. anonymous. lol

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
"People behave a lot better ... ".

They want mature adults to "behave" themselves in accordance to the wishes of a corporate entity. Corporations are our new parents.

At first, I was going to say that this statement would surely recieve a violent backlash, but now I am not so sure. People are quite happy to sell their freedom and individuality in exchange for a little so-called security. There are a lot of people using the internet who practicamente have no idea about security, and are therefore liable to trust anyone who claims to be acting in their better interests.

Sensationalist media outlets love to propagate stories about hackers and so on, and the companies who make anti virus software love it, as it gets them more business. Therefore most people will assume that anonymity is a bad thing, and is a threat the security of their hotmail account, or whatever. People love being told what to do, there exists a kind of mentality in which people find a comfort in being forcibly led by someone else.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Anyone who has to use the "It's for the Children" statement should be smacked repeatedly until they get some common sense.

Smacking children is against the law here and rightfully so.

It only promotes more hate and violence.

Think of the children for gawds sakes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join