It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For athiests, is the question was Jesus real or was he really the son of God? Other?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I can remember being bottle broke, but I cannot remember learning about Jesus. It was just always there who he is. Historical evidence shows that he did walk among us 2k yrs ago. The Holy Bible, the Torah and the koran acknowledge this. The koran and Torah says he was only a prophet. They're still waiting for what they concieve as the real deal. Orthadox Jews believe in him. IMHO, This is the true difference between us. The Old Testemnt on all 3 are very similar., but Jesus coming to us is what changed all the rules. Now instead of the ritual sacrifices and such to attain God's favor, we have only to accept that God loves us so much, he gave us his son, Jesus to be killed in the most horrible way. The crucifixation is recorded history. All he had to do to avoid his fate was to admit he was not the Messiah. So, unless you were unaware of this, your position is that he is not the Messiah. Help me to understand your mind set please.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This post would be better suited for the religion forum rather then the conspiracy in religion forum , no ?

Also not to sure why you pose this question to atheist as they really don't care as they are atheists .
edit on 27-7-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hmmm. God is so loving, that he was OK letting his son get killed in a horrible way?

So, what makes you think that's "loving", and if he's OK with that for his own son, what the heck are the rest of us to expect when it comes to us?

Something isn't quite right here...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm wanting to see that point of view, I asked to stand in some elses shoes, The conspiracy would be a matter of viewpoint, someone out there always has an opinion they want to share, and Macbeth, they could create a whole new world from what we don't know.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
For me, i personally believe he was a real person who was beyond his years, and that he was crucifixied because they feared his ideas. As for him being the Son of God, and being raised from the dead, i believe those are a leap of faith.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

But if they are an atheist that means that they don't believe in god . So to ask an atheist if Jesus is the son of god is a bit pointless , no?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Jesus may have been a real person. A practicing sorcerer and Egyptian mystic who was distantly related to King David. He stole his cousin John the Baptist's teachings and followers and had him killed. He himself was crucified when he went crazy (possibly demon possessed) and failed to organize a popular uprising that would have made him king. It would be nice if there was more historical documentation of him to back this up, but it was a long time ago, and common historical records tend to get lost or destroyed.

As for him being a "Son of God," that's more a misinterpretation of an honor given to him posthumously by the Romans, who were constantly declaring people gods. Some people were and are just too stupid to understand what that meant.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Jesus may have been a real person. A practicing sorcerer and Egyptian mystic who was distantly related to King David. He stole his cousin John the Baptist's teachings and followers and had him killed. He himself was crucified when he went crazy (possibly demon possessed) and failed to organize a popular uprising that would have made him king. It would be nice if there was more historical documentation of him to back this up, but it was a long time ago, and common historical records tend to get lost or destroyed.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Jesus was real probably at least as much as harry potter was real. Harry, was based loosely off an actual person J.K. Rowling knew.

How much of his story is made up(including if he was called jesus), how much is true, and how much is ripped off other stories from before that time, is very questionable. The only historical fact we really know about his existence is that jesus's name was passed around a lot, and that no one besides the 4 in the bible, ever wrote that they personally met him, meaning they wrote unreliable hearsay.

The fact that so few wrote about jesus's miracles, and all the crap that went down during his execution, and then him coming back to life, makes those stories, from a historical perspective, very unlikely. Would you belief the holocaust if only 4 people ever came out and said they saw it happen?

Then, it's all the problems with the rest of the bible not holding up to science, that makes it easy to dismiss the biblical account of jesus as factual too.

So, not speaking for all atheists, just myself, jesus wasn't the son of god, and thusly, the questionable degree that he was real, lacks much importance.

~
I'd recommend reading the epic of Gilgamesh, while keeping in mind that we have more evidence supporting his existence than we do of jesus's. That in no way makes the story true, just that there's a little fact inside the fictional story.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
Hmmm. God is so loving, that he was OK letting his son get killed in a horrible way?

He knew his son was just on Earth vacation and wouldnt be trully harmed by the Earth inhabitants who destroyed his 3d vessel

So, what makes you think that's "loving", and if he's OK with that for his own son, what the heck are the rest of us to expect when it comes to us?

He also knows you re in a 3d trap with a 3d body that you have became comfortable with, while completely forgetting your tru energy/light/electric self. So to him your also on vacation and a long 1- no one ever think this herd may be missed.

Something isn't quite right here...

Some..

Be well

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Why would you ask atheists if Jesus was real or the son of god. It is ridiculous to think that Jesus is the sun of god because god does not exist. Jesus may have been real but the details are sketchy.

That is how this atheist would answer - you know what, and this will probably startle you most atheists don't really spend a lot of time thinking about this; when was the last time you gave serious consideration to the relationship between Peter Pan and Tinkerbell? Absolutely the same thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Did he exist there is no real proof of him either its all stories yet again. Also was that character even called Jesus and would he look like how the western churches show him ie white!

If he did exist was he brainwashed exactly the same way as anyone who believes in god ie get them young and keep feeding them BS, do that long enough and even he will believe he is the son of god.

That's what I think

MAN CREATED god(s) just Google names of gods. MAN has created thousands of them all over the world!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Why would you ask atheists if Jesus was real or the son of god. It is ridiculous to think that Jesus is the sun of god because god does not exist. Jesus may have been real but the details are sketchy.

That is how this atheist would answer - you know what, and this will probably startle you most atheists don't really spend a lot of time thinking about this; when was the last time you gave serious consideration to the relationship between Peter Pan and Tinkerbell? Absolutely the same thing.

Wow I you just destroyed what you were saying about atheists with the Peter Pan / Tinkerbell comment....Jesus was a REAL person....What you believe is up to you, but Peter Pan nor Tinkerbell were real people??

Good question OP but I think the wording is a little off....I must agree with a few others saying that an atheist doesn't even think of this in their day to day.....Sad for them because all you have to do is believe for your salvation.....Sounds pretty simple to me instead of condemning yourself if everything goes down as the Christian bible states!!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Did he exist there is no real proof of him either its all stories yet again. Also was that character even called Jesus and would he look like how the western churches show him ie white!

If he did exist was he brainwashed exactly the same way as anyone who believes in god ie get them young and keep feeding them BS, do that long enough and even he will believe he is the son of god.

That's what I think

MAN CREATED god(s) just Google names of gods. MAN has created thousands of them all over the world!

Question for you sir......Where is the proof that god doesn't exist?? In this means of thinking you should believe just based on this....Right??

You are saying about multiple gods people came up with....Apparently everyone before us believed in some god, so that should swing you more toward there being a god rather than not??

edit on 7/27/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't identify as atheist, I'm agnostic. To my mind to two are very different indeed.

I believe that theres in all likelihood theres a grain of truth there - though IMO he wasn't virgin born, the son of God sent to clense mankind is its 'sins'.

There probably was an individual around the first decades of the first century AD who served as an inspiration for the Jesus Christ of myth. Somebody who gained a bit of noteriety for himself and who drew the ire of the authorities, becoming a martyr and having an entire mythos built up around him during a time when society was ripe for new cults/religions/belief systems.

Theres even some pretty compelling evidence that at least one contemporary writer spoke of this individual, though there some question about the authenticity of that.

At the end of the day... we'll never know. If this indivdual existed, and had some imporant things to say to a society long past, I don't know what that bearing that would have on us now, today. Maybe he was just a great teacher, a Jewish mystic... or maybe he was the honest-to-goodness Son of God. It's impossible to say one way or the other, barring some remarkable new archaelogical discovery, or maybe the Second Coming.
edit on 27-7-2011 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

"“when was the last time you gave serious consideration to the relationship between Peter Pan and Tinkerbell? Absolutely the same thing."

love that quote lol... anyway.. I can't remember when I first learned about Jesus but I remember thinking from the beginning that the whole story was a bunch of BS.. others have covered this already.

My addition to this thread… All this happened 2k years ago, right? Ok... who cares? What was life like 10K years ago? That's what I want to know...the whole story of Jesus... true or not... gives me absolute no insight to the history of man and where we come from. By the time Jesus rolled around, civilization as we know it was already well established. I want to know what happened from 10,000 BC - 0. I want to know exactly how the Egyptians built the Pyramids... How and why did the Nazca people build the Nazca lines? Who were the “gods” they worshiped. Were they real.. or made up? None of that in the bible.

The new testament basically tells us.. forget everything that happened before, this is how it is now that Jesus died for our sins. As if the story of man didn’t begin until after Jesus died. We even base our calendar around him. Why?

I have hundreds of questions… where do we come from?.. why are we hear?.. are we anyone of these questions can be answered by the bible or Jesus. According to Christians, You born … if you’re a good person in your life on earth you go to heaven.. if you’re bad you to go hell. That’s Christianity summed up into one sentence. Too easy for me… the whole idea of Christianity seems to me like a method to control people… God is up in the air pointing his finger at you… don’t do that or else!!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No Jesus wasn't real. There was never anything written about him during his supposed lifetime, not until decades after he was supposedly crucified was this Jesus person ever mentioned. There are plenty of web sites that go into far more detail than I care to, but IMO the facts point to Jesus being a made up person, with many of his deeds stolen from earlier myths.
edit on 27-7-2011 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf Eyes

Seems like you found your answers watching ancient astronauts . Unfortunately that is a fairy tail .

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You shouldn't live your life worrying about being judge and sentenced to hell if you're a bad person...that alone proves to me there is no God, why would a loving supreme being even design such a place? Certainly he would have the power to feel everyone with love and happiness? I have no doubt there are more plains of existence than just this one, but I dont think we go to heaven or Hell, instead reality is what you make it, so naturally if your a good person your reality will be good "Heaven" and if your a bad person than your reality will more likely be bad "hell"
edit on 27-7-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Isn't asking this question, kind of like asking for a definition of "Atheist"?

There is physical evidence indicating that there was some dude, referred to as Jesus by others, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

There is no physical evidence, or any evidence for that matter, that this guy was the son of God. The most obvious reason being, that there's no evidence that God exists.

So, if you know what an Atheist is, your question answers itself.
Atheists do not believe in God.
Atheists do however, believe in people.

With that out of the way, you can logically deduce that an Atheist would believe Jesus existed, because there's evidence. The would not however, believe he was the son of god, because there's no evidence that god exists. Therefore, from an atheists point of view, there is no god, so how could he have a son?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join