It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autistic boy,12, with higher IQ than Einstein develops his own theory of relativity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Autistic boy,12, with higher IQ than Einstein develops his own theory of relativity

www.stumbleupon.com

A 12-year-old child prodigy has astounded university professors after grappling with some of the most advanced concepts in mathematics.

Jacob Barnett has an IQ of 170 – higher than Albert Einstein – and is now so far advanced in his Indiana university studies that professors are lining him up for a PHD research role.

The boy wonder, who taught himself calculus, algebra, geometry and trigonometry in a week, is now tutoring fellow college classmates after hours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Incredible. During my high school years there was an autistic boy that always managed to excel in math. He was not socially capable of anything but he got better math grades than anyone in the class. Just shows. I personally think everyone has something to offer. Like Albert Einstein once said. Truly amazing stuff.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There are videos through the link where he desrcibes his theory and other related videos.

www.stumbleupon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Is this old news? If so please delete it. There is no need for it. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bokaforo

Are you a mod? Seems like enough of them your one liner is in need of "adjustment" per the T&C your so interested in enforcing.
S&F op as this is news to me and I will post it in the autism group I belong to. So sad often blessings are confused as a curse.The autistic are amazing people and IMO are needed by society to culture compassion and respect for the different forms we all take
seed

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not impressed.

The math he scribbles on the window is nothing more that basic level calculus. For one he does not look smart. hopefully in a year he will be forgotten about.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Damn it, thanks for that.... Hearing about these genius kids makes me feel as though I've wasted my life and my intellect. Instead of being a globe trotting dirt scientist I could've done something like that... Damn kids making me feel like dumbass.

How could he teach himself all those mathematical subjects in a week? To become truly familiar with mathematics, it is more than simply memorising a bunch of formulas. It takes practice and intellectual exploration to truly familiarise oneself with the field. It's like when I learned to speak English, it took me a very short time to become able to communicate with it, but for me to able to grasp all the nuances, colloquialisms, and irregularities, it took much longer than a month, it took total immersion.

Same deal when I was studying mathematics at university. In order to really apply mathematical knowledge, it takes full immersion, which cannot really happen in so little time as one week. This kid must not sleep.

Any why do maths people always seem to write on windows? Every movie I've ever seen that's got a mathematician in it always show them writing on windows or mirrors. Why? They never taught me to do that in my calculus classes.

I'd like to see if the kid can solve these problems though. I also would not mind to read his papers, if he has published any.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
this has been posted before, can't find the thread right now.

thanks for bringing this up once again though, fa.scinating to see kids like this.
they're little wonders.

still trying to find the other thread, pretty long and full of info

here it is:
www.abovetopsecret.com...(written by Vitchillo)
edit on 27-7-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
it is old news. But it's a great story.

Back in high school we had a guy in band class like this.
He was handicapped. But you play him a song once and he could play it back to you.

It's funny how the brain works in those situations.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
Not impressed.

The math he scribbles on the window is nothing more that basic level calculus. For one he does not look smart. hopefully in a year he will be forgotten about.

GOOD GOD! he does not "look smart" do you know how that makes you look? I am sure Steven Hawking shows what an inane statement that was. As for him being "hopefully forgotten" I am sure he will be remembered by more people and more fondly than the person behind such a poor post
seed

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
S&F4UOP

Unlike some, I actually watched the videos. I find it amazing that this kid can do what he can, For those who think he's not that special, watch the videos: He was figuring out the volume of cereal boxes when he was a toddler.

When God (or nature if you will) takes away one thing, say the sense of sight, it is nearly always replaced with heightened clarity in the other senses.

I wish I had a photographic memory. I'd be gettin' paid!

I wish the boy all the luck in the world.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Yeah, this kid is pretty stupid. He's a 12 year old college student for Christ's sake!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

i hav been watching this kid since he first came into the scene and he is just fantastic.i look foreward to following his progresion.God bless you son.....keep up the good works.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This kid's mind should be put to proper use.... building new, more powerful nuclear weapons!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Not impressed.

You sound extremely ignorant and very rude.

I don't know any 12 year olds that can do basic level calculus.

Also what DOES "smart" look like since you seem to this it has an image.

You are probably one of those people who ask people that wear glasses if they wear them to look smart...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What a terrific young man!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Not impressed.

Seriously? Did you actually type that? He does not "look" smart!? How about you post a picture of yourself so we can decide how you "look?"

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Pretty amazing stuff... Maybe this kid can work out the secret to anti gravity and zero point energy etc...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

I think you are mistaken. A 12 year old in college teaching students calculus and other math. Maybe your autistic and just have not found your smartness yet.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Watching the video I would say he is a High Functioning Autistic and therefore more likely to be diagnosed (as said in the video) to be Aspergers.

Despite what the idiot said above about him "not looking smart." He looks like a perfectly happy and healthy 12 year old with some damn good ideas. His equations on the window are well beyond "basic calculus" (and if you want to get into an argument with me about mathematics I warn you, you will be on shaky ground) and personally speaking, if he came into my office and wrote on my window, I would instantly consider it a work of art.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

I hope you're enjoying the attention your getting from your comment. Obviously you are in deperate need of it.

Anyway, I am always amazed by autistic kids/adults who have this gift. I don't remember the name of the show but there was an autistic kid who could duplicate anything he heard on the piano. They had a composer come in with a brand new and extremely complicated piece. He played it once and the autistic kid played it back to him perfectly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join