It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tomb of Apostle St Philippus found in Turkey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The Tomb of Apostle St Philippus found in Turkey

www.archaeologydaily.com

The tomb of St Philippus, of one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus, was unearthed in a great discovery in Denizli province of Turkey.

The discovery took place at the Hierapolis (Pamukkale) ancient excavation site of Denizli in western Turkey on Tuesday.

The excavation has been going on in the area for some 32 years led by the Italian Prof. Francesco D'Andria.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.straitstimes.com

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
As I'm not a very religious person, nor do I believe the bible to be interpreted literally, I still find this to be interesting news.

I am surprised of how they determine it to be the apostle's tomb in the first place. For all I know it may say so on the tomb itself, I doubt so however.

The archeologist responsible for the excavation claims it will be a "a major development both for archeology and the Christian world."

We'll see about that.

www.archaeologydaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks for this.
I hope the word gets around better. A big discovery.

LOTZA LUV 2 U

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
They also just found an ancient city referenced in the Bible that they thought was a myth. I can't remember it's name though. Interesting stuff for sure. Does anyone remember or know of the ancient city discovery?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
sweet news, good to hear we are getting closer to understanding our past

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathofall

I know they found sodom and gommorah. They also found one of the magi's kingdom's.
And are still unearthing the Nephelim. So all very, very cool.

LOTZA LUV 2 U

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathofall

Babylon? Dan? Shekhem? Shiloh?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
amazing! Now what?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And the timing of the find. With everything that is going on, on this planet. Coincidence?

Can see the Vatican announcing this to the world as propaganda.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
And the timing of the find. With everything that is going on, on this planet. Coincidence?

Can see the Vatican announcing this to the world as propaganda.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
After reading the article, I'm left with a big question.

What evidence have they found to lead them to believe this is the tomb of St Philippus?

The fact that the article did not go into that necessary detail is suspicious.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Tradition maintained he was martyred at Hierapolis and buried there by his sister.

Then the Apostle Philip arrived in the city of Phrygian Hieropolis, where there were many pagan temples. There was also a pagan temple where people worshiped an enormous serpent as a god. The Apostle Philip by the power of prayer killed the serpent and healed many bitten by snakes.

Among those healed was the wife of the city prefect, Amphipatos. Having learned that his wife had accepted Christianity, the prefect Amphipatos gave orders to arrest St Philip, his sister, and the Apostle Bartholomew traveling with them. At the urging of the pagan priests of the temple of the serpent, Amphipatos ordered the holy Apostles Philip and Bartholomew to be crucified.

Suddenly, an earthquake struck, and it knocked down all those present at the place of judgment. Hanging upon the cross by the pagan temple of the serpent, the Apostle Philip prayed for those who had crucified him, asking God to save them from the ravages of the earthquake.

Seeing this happen, the people believed in Christ and began to demand that the apostles be taken down from the crosses. The Apostle Bartholomew was still alive when he was taken down, and he baptized all those believing and established a bishop for them.

But the Apostle Philip, through whose prayers everyone remained alive, except for Amphipatos and the pagan priests, died on the cross. Mariamne his sister buried his body, and went with the Apostle Bartholomew to preach in Armenia, where the Apostle Bartholomew was crucified (June 11); Mariamne herself then preached until her own death at Lykaonia. The holy Apostle Philip is not to be confused with St Philip the Deacon (October 11), one of the Seventy.

From the lives of the Saints

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yeah, I agree with you there. I expect that there will be more news about this in the near future.

The articles mentioned that the tomb was still closed and apparently unopened. Must admit that I'm hoping for something fascinating to be around the corner so to speak. Maybe we can expect something of the likes of the dead sea scrolls? Always fun to do some wild speculating, although it most certainly will end in disappointment.
edit on 27/7/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm sure signatures of his name is written all around the tomb. Intresting enough, maybe we should start looking for more apostles and followers of Jesus in asia minor

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

You know what the Vatican is like. Someone finds a so called tomb of one of the apostles, and they claim it as their own.

As with regards to what's going on, on this planet,

Fish dying, birds dying, increase in earthquakes, weather changing patterns, increase in volcanic activity, sink-holes appearing all over the planet, the building of the temple in Israel, the finding of ancient biblical scriptures and now this find. Coincidental, i think so.
edit on 27-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

You know what the Vatican is like. Someone finds a so called tomb of one of the apostles, and they claim it as their own.

As with regards to what's going on, on this planet,

Fish dying, birds dying, increase in earthquakes, weather changing patterns, increase in volcanic activity, sink-holes appearing all over the planet, the building of the temple in Israel, and now this find.

Oh yeah i am with you on that. I wasn't sure if you were going to start yelling out project blue beam

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

No
Have seen it posted on thread on ATS dont know what it is .
Ignorant I know will read up on it though.

Just trying to point out what a coincidence this find is.

We wont know any ways until they prove it is this apostle or not
edit on 27-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Isn't it considered a great sacrilege to disturb or alter anyones grave site. How is this any different? P.s. I'm not religious, just curious.
edit on 27-7-2011 by tetsuoatx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

As far as I can see the archaeologist responsible for the find is unaffiliated with the vatican, as one would expect. Even so the vatican can use this for whatever propaganda they'd like.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This event, if legitimate, will be under the jurisdiction of the Armenian Orthodox Church. More specifically, the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople. So there may be some friction with Rome over this find.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join