It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas on where to bug out too... Go west

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2de9ba8219e0.jpg[/atsimg]
This map details the percentage of state territory owned by the federal government. The top 10 list of states with the highest percentage of federally owned land looks like this:
1.Nevada 84.5%
2.Alaska 69.1%
3.Utah 57.4%
4.Oregon 53.1%
5.Idaho 50.2%
6.Arizona 48.1%
7.California 45.3%
8.Wyoming 42.3%
9.New Mexico 41.8%
10.Colorado 36.6%

The United States government has direct ownership of almost 650 million acres of land (2.63 million square kilometers) – nearly 30% of its total territory. These federal lands are used as military bases or testing grounds, nature parks and reserves and indian reservations, or are leased to the private sector for commercial exploitation (e.g. forestry, mining, agriculture). They are managed by different administrations, such as the Bureau of Land Management, the US Forest Service, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the US Department of Defense, the US Army Corps of Engineers, the US Bureau of Reclamation or the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Why is this important to your choices... Simple... out west there are vast tracts of wildlands where it is unlikely you'll run into large numbers of other folks... if you can get there... but the numbers can be a bit deceptive

Many of you know I lived up in Wyoming for a time... trust me when I say it's at least a 100 mile drive between the small cities there... Colorado maybe on the list but she has become the victim of urban sprawl... except in places like the far southern and western parts of the state..
Utah is real pretty up north... as me how to find your way to a creak the runs up hill... just out side of Logan Utah you'll find Bear lake, one of the prettiest places on the globe...
down south where most of the open lands are can be harsh and unforgiving to say the least...
number 9. New Mexico, the place of my birth doesn't have as much free land as you'd think... most is owned by the numerous tribes or is actively used by the military...
I never spent a whole lot of time in number 5.Idaho... it gets damn cold with a lot of heavy deep snow... Great fishing... the only Walleye I ever caught came from a place just outside of Pocatello..
As for Nevada what can I say... lots of nothing in Nevada... making it the perfect place to look for hidden bases..

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That whole west side and all the states you mentioned are gonna be destroyed by the super volcanoe

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Your not taking into account that water supplies are very limited out west which means most of the people will all be gathering around those making it acutally more likely to run into people then if you were in the midwest and eastward.

Not wise to head out west in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It is a real puzzle where you wanted this thread to go. Mostly, it is about your adventures.

You mention "free land." Where?" Government land will be virtually free if things get really bad and the central system falls apart, but unguarded land is not necessarily free.

So, Utah has large tracts of government land. Yet it is virtually uninhabitable, what is the benefit of going there? Once you arrive and stand looking at the desolation, what do you do? What do you do for water, let along food, shelter and gasoline for your vehicle that got to such a god-forsaken place?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
All you in the East need to think about the reactors your near. The East side of america is a death trap of fallout if the power goes out. the west coast only has one reactor in Seattle WA and another down by San Diego CA.

The wastern states will be the safest from fallout
edit on 27-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
All you in the East need to think about the reactors your near. The East side of america is a death trap of fallout if the power goes out. the west coast only has one reactor in Seattle WA and another down by San Diego CA.

Unfortunately you may be right...Im toast.......

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am in the state that you classified as becoming urbanized. My husband & I have talked about if SHTF should we stay or should we go. I say stay. Today we are working on acquiring all that is needed to install a hand pump on our well head should the power go down. We chose the hand pump option rather then a generator because running out of fuel for a generator is much more likely to happen.

Our big issue is our neighbors. That I know of we have two ex-miltary, a scout leader, an engineer who just installed a mammoth solar system, one raises chickens, another cattle, the list goes on. We do have a very selfish person who has hunting skills but never does anything just to be nice. If SHTF I want our neighbors to band together. That is the big issue to me. Safety and security.

When you say WEST- where to? To what? It gets cold in the winter so what then? If people think they can come live in my home and kick my butt to the curb- nope ain't going to happen. I think people need a destination.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

So, Utah has large tracts of government land. Yet it is virtually uninhabitable, what is the benefit of going there? Once you arrive and stand looking at the desolation, what do you do? What do you do for water, let along food, shelter and gasoline for your vehicle that got to such a god-forsaken place?
That is so funny! Sounds like we both took the same route in Utah. It is a very dry barren place. And what is with that fence that goes on for hundreds of miles? Why bother with the fence, no one is going to venture out there anyways!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

that fence is snow fencing... up north around Vernal and over towards Logan in the winter they will tie posts with flags or reflectors some six feet tall... that's to give you some idea there's a road under all that snow somewhere.. no I'm not kidding

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Aren't those western states the ones getting the brunt of the Japanease fallout?
Alot depends on which way the wind is blowing. Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa

Aren't those western states the ones getting the brunt of the Japanease fallout?
Alot depends on which way the wind is blowing. Just sayin'

well about 95% of the time the wind is blowing west to east. yeah we are getting the fallout but only a day before your getting it so it dosent really matter. lol

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
How do you expect to run with all that gold and silver you are all buying? lol.. jingle jingle.

Seriously, why not just put your money into a boat, some fish nets/rods and go out into the water. why land?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

my point being more open space with all the federal lands...
Of course in a Nasty SHTF no one is going anywhere as the transportation system will collapse too

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Ouch! lol
Actually the weather pattern that has brought such horrible drought conditions to Texas has kept most of the radiation (and rain) to the north of us. Double edged sword I guess.
We have 2 reactors to the south of us on the coast that could make life very unpleasant during the next cat5 though.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Living in Oregon, going west for me would mean living in the ocean.

There is tons and tons of state owned wilderness land that I could get to decently quick in a SHTF scenario. I know of many non-highway routes to get there. We have a lot of fresh water here, and it seems to rain 300 days out of the year, so the water issue is pretty much taken care of.

My main worry would be fallout from a nuclear plant, but that depends on which way the winds are going and everything. Who knows.

I see what your saying thought, it's probably better to go somewhere that isn't personally owned. That way you're not going to have to deal with landowners angry that your squatting on their land.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

oh but this is the new Zion , the promised land, JS said so

yea seen the lake and thought "we can go no further" so this is the place of 2 faced back stabbing goody goody 2 shoes help is, when help is not needed, when it is, your on your own, yes from personal exp, had bosses and neighbors just like that, enough of the rant.
now when the SHTF and few are left, the land will be bountiful, the rivers will run clean the air clear crops will grow where they do not grow now. will i see this??? i do not know but it is coming.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Unfortunately you may be right...Im toast.......

Same goes for me.

I suppose if that were to happen, it wont matter that I have the land to live off.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

2 feet, horse and buggy, old mule, ox drawn cart; Winter dog sled, snow shoes, what do you mean no trans??? ok so you might get there the next day , a month or 2, but then what is your hurry any way it is not going any where.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
DB is 100% correct.

Its all about the volume of unused land. If I was on the east coast I would consider finding a group who is not psycho and fairly normal composed of families and try to bunker in with them. The threat assessment there would required air filtration or rebreathing equipment as well as a 5-7 stage water distillation process. Reverse osmo let in nuclear particles as well as chems.

Huge amount more to know if you intend to stay there.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Too right.
I'm not going anywhere. I am familiar with this land, having been on it for many years. I am aware of the local hazards and what this land can provide if a person knows where to look. Also how to defend it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join