It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Earth.....What if you were the 1st person to see Earth at these places...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I often get on National Geograpic and just get lost in thought. Well, my lastest one occurred when I saw this story/article about our Extreme Earth and the forces that created such things-and the wonderful pictures. Well, one of my most favorite topics on ATS-now, is Space Exploration.

I did a thread not too long ago about the training that NASA put the Space Travelers through. One of the phases of training is Geology- Makes sense:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f84f234d362b.jpg[/atsimg]
Which I got to thinking about-from the angle of what if humans came here from somewhere else. What wonderful things they must have saw and made them stay. Okay... what the NASA Astronauts may find on other planets and decide to stay.. you pick

So, just imagin, landing in your own little Space vehilce on the little Blue colored 3rd Rock from the Sun-opening your little space ship porthole.... and seeing:

Blue Iceberg
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5dee36b9dffb.jpg[/atsimg]

Chinstrap penguins (Pygoscelis antarctica) ride out high surf on blue-ice icebergs near Candlemas Island in the South Sandwich Islands. Safe for the moment from predaceous leopard seals, chinstrap penguins are the second most abundant species in Antarctica and the sub-Antarctic.

West Thumb Geyser Basin, Yellowstone
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e070069b7f49.jpg[/atsimg]

A thick blanket of snow covers West Thumb Geyser Basin in Yellowstone National Park. There are more geysers in this park than anywhere else in the world.

Columns of Basalt
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e914b6305f11.jpg[/atsimg]

Towering in close symmetry, these basalt columns near Fingal’s Cave form the base of the Scottish island of Staffa. The columns formed when cooling lava flows met bedrock and the region’s cold weather. The island contains three main caves.

Gorge at Araden, Crete
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51b5530136c0.jpg[/atsimg]

A deep gorge drops some 650 feet (198 meters) near the abandoned city of Araden, Crete. Visitors can descend into the gorge and walk a little more than 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) to the Mediterranean Sea. In addition to magnificent scenery, the gorge provides a 2,460-foot (750-meter) descent to the sea.

Source: photography.nationalgeographic.com...#/blue-iceberg_10489_600x450.jpg

Well, what would you think being the lucky soul to see such wonderful things? I think seeing the Gorge at Araden would be a fascinating first look for some eyes. Look at the color in the side walls. I can only imagin what our future explorers will see and experience when we finally do land on another planet.
edit on 7/27/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oh the Gorge at Araden is amazing!

I would love to see these places.

I ordered the NATGEO tour catalog, it was free

They have some pretty amazing tour packages but they are expensive. The tour of ancient sites around the world in a private jet for a month is one I would do if I ever had that kind of money....its like 50k or more
They pick all the amazing sites in the world and you get personal tours and views. Imagine that experience!

I too enjoy the NATGEO site, they always have cool picture sets.

My mom use to get the magazine from my grandfather for Christmas every year while we were growing up. I loved when my mom got that magazine. I always found it to be so interesting.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I ordered the NATGEO tour catalog, it was free

reply to post by mblahnikluver

I didn't know about that or that it was free. Or the travel packages. Thats got my interest-the packages. The wife wants to do Peru-Inca's when we retire.... ugh. I don't think she grash the heights involved-hiking etc.

My college age son blurtered out something like "Cocca Leaves.. they chew cocca leaves" , shut his mouth and walked out of the room...

Anyway, I will be ordering that directly. Thanks for the heads up Ma'me....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

They are wonderful pictures but first last or in the middle I would be as amazed and as enthralled as I am right now. S&F Great to be reminded we have places like this to call home. Thanks for posting,

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Yes, the place we call home. We sure are lucky-for sure. Regardless of how we got here and/or started.

I dare say that maybe we are the only ones in the universe.

Then, we have an extremely huge mission ahead of us.

The ultimate Space Oddessy.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
If they landed at Red Crater in Tongariro National Park, they might well have developed a fertility cult!

source
edit on 27-7-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2011 by aorAki because: capitalisation

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Well dam. That is sure interesting looking.

I would like to read more about how it was formed.

Never saw that picture or heard about it before. Thank You

new topics

top topics

join