It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxford Seeks Volunteers to Decipher Mysterious Lost Gospel Texts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Oxford Seeks Volunteers to Decipher Mysterious Lost Gospel Texts

[url=http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/187238/20110726/oxyrhynchus-collection-ancient-lives-lost-gospels-armchair-archaeologists.htm]www.ibtimes.com[/ur l]

Oxford University is enlisting the help of "armchair archaeologists" to help unlock the meaning of ancient texts found in Egypt, some of which contain forgotten Biblical episodes or works by master poets.

Scholars have uploaded hundreds of thousands of images of scraps of papyrus known as the Oxyrhynchus collection, after the Egyptian city where they were discovered. People can transcribe the writings, which are in Greek, using character-recognition tools that are included on the website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

The fragments of parchment all date from between 500 BC to 1,000 AD and are written in Greek, a testament to the fact that Egypt spent that period under Greek or Roman rule. Researchers on the project have already discovered some gems, including an account of Jesus Christ exorcising demons and lost works by the ancient Greek poet Sappho and dramatists Menander and Sophocles. But much remains to be discovered.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but I am confident there is plenty of people out here who would like to give it a try. More information as well as the tools can be found on their website: ancientlives.org.... Who knows what unknown secrets we've hold in our hands for almost a century will finally be revealed.

[url=http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/187238/20110726/oxyrhynchus-collection-ancient-lives-lost-gospels-armchair-archaeologists.htm]www.ibtimes.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-7-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the info here. I will definatly dig into this. Exciting and very cool!

Who knows, perhaps these documents could shed some light on many things, perhaps even offer a better view on our lost histories.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Kinda kills the whole point when the average person doesn't know how to read Hieroglyphics or Ancient Greek!

Still interesting though

edit on 27-7-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Actually the interface is quite forgiving. I don't know Greek, Ancient Greek or Egyptian Hieroglyphics ,
I don't know how much I am helping, but its pretty fun actually.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Kinda like playing, Where's Waldo with letters

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I agree this looks very cool, ive just completed the tutorial for it and the only thing that bothers me is once you have spent the time identifying all the letters in the papyrus theres no translation into english. Not a lot of fun if you cant read ancient greek , Its all work no reward

edit on 27-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Time to brush up on your greek!
It's not really as bad as it seems. I took 1 semester of it in college. Very cool stuff.

Always bablefish!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wow, I've never saw a program like this before. I'm beyond rusty when it comes to Greek but this will be a nice refreshers course. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Whaaa? Is this real hope of a new text? Instead of the fake lead books

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Do you really think you'd get to read it before it was heavily edited to fit the official "truth" ?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
reply to post by Jordan River

Do you really think you'd get to read it before it was heavily edited to fit the official "truth" ?

pfft, please.

top topics

join