It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984 keep the people fearfull!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Who here has read 1984, i love that book!! 1984 greatly showed us the dark side of a totalitarian utopian state or super country. In the book it mentins how it is necsary to keep the masses in a constant state of fright that way the will give all their rights to the government willingly but tricked nevertheless. In my opinion this seems to be the same approach George W Bush is leading our country by constantly keeping our country in fear and in a state of paranoia which may or may not be irrational just my opinion please all opinins are welcome

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I haven't got around to reading this book yet, but I will get to it. If nobody hasn't read it yet, here is a link to an online version. Make sure to bookmark it.

1984 by George Orwell

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yea, I'm always amazed by the similarities between 1984 and today.

But 1984 isn't the only one! Brave New World is amazingly similar.

And Fahrenheit 451, we see the beginnings already! Ray Bradbury wrote the book to criticize people who edit books to make them more readable. Then, he gets letters in the mail from publishers who want to shorten it to fit it in an anthology for students. His publisher actually edited out the words hell and damn from it to make it more readable. He gets letters from people all the time saying he should take out certain things in the book because it casts of negative stereotypes.

And its like, have you ever read this book...if you understood it, I don't think you'd expect to get a nice response from Bradbury.

Anyway, to get back on subject...1984 dictates we are in a perpetual war.

The War on Terror! When in the hell will that end?!?!?! I think these people take ideas from these books.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
i have not read 1984 but will go get it.

This is what ive been trying to say in my posts. We are being conditioned rapidly with fake terror alerts. Dont buy into them.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I love that book. I totally agree with the perpetual war i mean is there ever going to be a way we can end the war on terrorism i feel sorry for all the people that are lead by the masses. All great books tie together in some way or another everyone should read this book it is a must. It shows how we start loosing our human qualities kinda sad

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This story featuring "Big Brother" will really make you think twice about todays society. It has been made into a movie that is really good, especially if you don't like to read too much.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
1984 should be required reading in schools to balance out all the other garbage taught. The striking similarities between this book and today are amazing!

If anything it makes you think.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
1984 should be required reading in schools to balance out all the other garbage taught. The striking similarities between this book and today are amazing!

If anything it makes you think.

Especially if you think of how long ago in the past it was actually written. Spooky prediction...

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I didnt know it was a made into a movie thats aweomse excpt that sometimes the movies ruin the books and i like to make up the voicesin my head and i cant do that with movies our audio books do u know who is cast in it or when it was made they should make another one i bet people would really wake up ... hopefully

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yes, 1984 is an excellent book. I read it a few years ago, and it really made me think.

IMO, everyone should read it.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
another excellent book, a good short read- just a few hours... but a CLASSIC example of the use of political propaganda-

Animal Farm, by george orwell.

("bring 'em on" could just have as easily been expressed as "four legs good, two legs bad!")

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Animal Farm is a great book and i love the ending. 1984 made me sad because it seemed like we were heading straight towards that path and then i thought about what socrates says about how it is more important to live a good life than to live. ALso great book is Plato's Crito and Platos Cave great books so much you can learn i am amazed at all the hidden things found in literature

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
On the back of the book it says it was based on a "Nightmarish vision" that he had.(Author)

new topics

top topics

join