It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Tsunami FEEDS Alaska!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
When the Japan Tsunami hit it wiped out a lot of the Japanese fishing vessels that had been hogging up all the Salmon before they got a chance to enter our rivers.

Over the past few years the fish had been dwindled down to almost nothing pushing our own fishing industry into debt. Anglers and Subsitence fishing was scarce.........BUT this year that all changed, and now Alaskan Rivers are flowing with Fish again.

I felt sorry for Japan when the Tsunmai hit and I still do. However because this happened we have gotten a very clear understanding about just how much Japan has been taking from our resources. It has been a good year for Alaskans BECAUSE of the Tsunami.

I am writing this thread so that you to are informed of how Japan has been raping our countries resources, and hope that it angers you just as much as it did me when I learned of it recently

MESSAGE TO JAPAN: Take from your own waters what is needed to feed your people and leave ours alone to feed our people. If you want Salmon you might have to farm raise it, OR come for a visit........this is reasonable and it is being respectful of limited resources on our planet.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

In all fairness, they don't belong to anyone because they have just as much as a right to live as you do, you choose to take their life in order to feed yours (the fish I mean
) as the Japanese have done, as we all do (Oh gosh, I might go vegetarian now!) - And if you want to fight that then all I'll say is, the Japanese had a country first!

However, I do see where your coming from buddy.

Jamie

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Eating anything from the the waters of Japan & Alaska now is a good way to glow in the dark.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

I think you missed the point my friend. Don't come to my house to feed your family at yours. Respect! With that said resources should be limited to their regions to stop this type of insanity.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

but what about our oil?

I suppose we could use fish oil...... hiring all those people to squeeze the fish could solve our unemployment problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Don't eat too much of that Salmon.

The Pacific's receiving worse fallout than 1000 Chernobyl's.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS

I think you missed the point my friend. Don't come to my house to feed your family at yours. Respect! With that said resources should be limited to their regions to stop this type of insanity.

You sound like Larry Kudlow, who, in retrospect on the tragedy that devastated Japan, made the comment "The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be grateful for that."

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Orly? This is coming from a man who is involved in the middle-east purely for "the greater good"?
Nice one buddy. I wasn't going to mention that until you said respect.

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
As long as we see Food Resources like Fish as a national Property
we will go on with this destructive Depletion and this is very stupid and no one get a Benefit!

Do you worship Salmon in Alaska?
Or Whales, Dolphins or Sea Turtles?

PS: i welcome the temporary Stop of the Fishing Industry
and hope that they will change something to make the Fishing ecologically compatible!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

We do not worship Salmon here in Alaska but a lot of us do use them as a major part of our food source for the year.

As long as Japan does not fish in our waters and take the Salmon they are plentiful.

For those of you uneducated about Salmon, when the swim up stream they lay there eggs and die there. By eating them we utlize them for the greater good.

This year there was a school over a mile long swimming into our rivers which has been unheard of for many many many years Thanks to Japans overfishing our waters.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you mean by any of that, but it doesn't sound like it is relative to this thread........
edit on 28-7-2011 by iLoGiCViZiOnS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

VERY brilliant (as opposed to regular brilliant) analogy of the kudlow comment and the alaskan fish guy.

Ahhhhh well the Japanese took it pretty hard with the quake. and the tsunami. and the nuclear reactor going kablooey. and the continued excessive radiation spewing out contaminating them and the whole darn world.............
But the fish are back in Alaskan waters!!! come and get em!
IF, even in the very darkest corners of the alaskan fish guys brain, he believes that perhaps the japanese were receiving their comeuppance...........I wonder if he understands what that means for US!?!?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Japan is in so much trouble right now on so many levels...I always knew their fishing practices were a minor influence on the ecosystem but I'm not convinced thats the sole reason for a better than average year..well lets hope that if that is the case maybe that'll knock them back to sustainable fishing levels until what ever happens happens....I believe the satellite imaging for worst case tectonic movement and Edgar Cayce predictions is a indicator of how our fishing supplies will be solved in the near future haha

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I agree. Japan should be concerned with nursing it's own Salmon population if they want Salmon. Trying to feed such a huge region while taking from someone elses is just wrong.. And the Japanese are well known for their tendency to over fish.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

and they have been known to sneak attack U.S. naval bases in Hawaii too!!
I don't think we in the good ole USSA have any ground to stand on (shaking or not), when it comes to eco-sabatauge or mismanagement, or anything. Yep. Japan "stole" our salmon. Aaaand we turned off the radiation detectors so our people can't see whats falling on their heads. Yep, Japan stole our salmon, and we drop bombs on Libyans that have "don't open till voting day!" written on them..........

how do I get "cranky and fed up", put under MOOD by myname!?!?!?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 2buckchuck

Look.....nobody ever said ANYTHING about being happy about Japans misfortune. I certainly would never say that. I feel for my fellow man no matter where they live or ultimately what bad choices they may have made.
HOWEVER it did happen and had it not happened we would not have had the Salmon come in as they did this year.

You people are not from Alaska. I understand that you have no idea what you are talking about OR the fact that this affects you to just as everything does, but try.

IF this was just a good year for Salmon do you really think I would be posting this here on ATS even? Lets just say for one absurd second that I may know what I am talking about for the sake of this argument shall we?

The Salmon came in more then strong this year and the only ones who can remember the Salmon coming in this strong are people who have been out there over 20 years or more. There has been a lot of talk about how the Salmon is dwindling and the Government has put a lot of stipulations on the residents of Alaska to make it harder to feed their families here.

My family doesn't depend on the Salmon as much as others do here in Alaska, so I write this to create more awareness. I write this because its not being said on the news and it absolutly should be.

YES had the tsunami not happened we would not know just how big of an impact Japan has been having on our State and the rest of the lower 48 since we tend to supply them with much of its Salmon as well.

The Government has been trying to devise a plan to introduce a genetically altered fish to solve the problem of the Salmon disappearing in recent years and introduce it the waters. They call it the Frankenfish. Hell no we don't want that to happen and neither should you.........that could wipe out the 'normal' salmon as we know it and who knows what other kind of damage it could cause.

Lets talk about the Fishermen that are from here who depend on those fish directly to survive shall we? Many of them went bankrupt because the fish have not been there. There was speculation about Japan taking most of the fish but it wasn't till this series of unfortunate events solidified its reality.

I can only hope that you hear me because like I said, its not something they are showing on the news and I am trying to get this out there. So far I don't seem to be having any luck.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I dont like nor agree with Japan's overfishing. Or anybody's overfishing.
The salmon run in Alaska may be the largest one ever, and there is something to the theory that the tsunami crippling the Japanese fleet is why,
but.

it might not be connected. The hockey gods have a way of evening things out in the cosmos. (supernatural police force in charge of making sure that for every puck that hits the post and goes out, another goes in that maybe shouldnt have).
don't look now Alaska but I think you're next..........

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Human0815

I agree with virtually everything you're saying here, especially considering the fact that a LOT of the Cook Inlet salmon are hatchery fry and, thus, could be considered as belonging to Alaskans. It also makes a lot of sense. The early kings flat out weren't around this year, but as the season progressed it became crazy. Now the Reds, Silvers, and Pinks are simply crushing the rivers. (Massive improvement over last year's pathetic runs). The fact that most of the Japanese fishing fleet wasn't out netting never even occured to me.

But I gotta disagree with this:

We do not worship Salmon here in Alaska

Brother, I spend most of my Sabbaths praying at the altar of Kwikfish, Vibrax, and Roe. From November to May my soul belongs to Jesus, but from mid-May to October it's polytheism time.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
We've all been overfishing the oceans, that's an established fact.

That being said Japan is the biggest offender by far, they harvest massive amounts of blue fin tuna and Salmon and also kill more whales than all other countries combined. They also kill large numbers of dolphins, if it swims they kill it and eat it.

Today's "environmentalists" have lost their way. They have taken up the establishments causes (global warming) and are ignoring the serious problems we can actually fix, like the health of our oceans and our fresh water supply.

When I was in college 25 years ago I had a true hipppue as my environmental studies prof, and he warned our class one day that if there was ever a day that the kids with beards starting pushing the causes of the ruling class we were all done.

I wonder how he feels today?

Probably committed suicide.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, how many Japanese salmon fishing boats were usually in your area?

I know a couple of older guys who used to be on the Japanese salmon fleet, and they've always got interesting stories about Alaskan ports and drunken plans to hunt feral cows in the Aleutians (never carried out, just drunken plans). But they all got out of it in the early 1990s - there was some fisheries agreements between the USA and Japan (and possibly Russia and Canada, not sure) that effectively brought an end to the large scale stuff.

From what I understand, it's cheaper to just import what Alaskans (or Russians) catch these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join