It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous unleashes new attacks on PayPal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
10:11PM PST
Within the past hour, Anonymous, the hacktavist "idea" behind many cyber attacks, along with scores of anons, has declared a boycott of the Paypal services. The new "operation" titled #OPpaypal is the legal response to the way Paypal handled donations to Julian Assange's WikiLeaks website in the previous year. The boycott calls for all Paypal users to discontinue using the service. Responses to the Operation can be read at #OpPayPal

YourAnonNews states; "The last 15 minutes has cost PayPal more than 1 day of DDoS already... #OpPayPal
29 minutes ago"

A leading figure in Anonymous; anonymouSabu had this to say about the boycott;
"#opPAYPAL - Time for PayPal to realize the will of people is stronger than the will of their greed. Profiteering Gluttons will feel this one"

Anonymous members feel that this boycott will cause more damage than any of their previous and illegal cyber attacks. The Paypal boycott may turn out to be reminiscent of many boycotts that have helped shape the United States; from the Civil Rights bus boycotts of the 1960's to the British goods boycotts of the 1700's, the history of boycotts can be seen in almost every stage of growth in the glorious American Empire.

Reported by;
PatriciusCaesar on 26/7/11

EDIT:
related news links;
jadedsecurity.net...

edit on 27-7-2011 by PatriciusCaesar because: added external, additional news link

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
NOTE TO MODS; I give you permission to edit my post as you see fit. It is, in my opinion, important enough and small enough to include in its entirety, but as the caretakers of the sight, I will understand if you choose to [edit] the passage down to an appropriate size.

"This is a joint statement from #Anonymous (@AnonymousIRC) and Lulz Security to PayPal (@PayPal) and its customers:" [twitter.com...#!/AnonymousIRC]

Dear PayPal, its customers, and our friends around the globe,

This is an official communiqué from Anonymous and Lulz Security in the name of AntiSec.

In recent weeks, we've found ourselves outraged at the FBI's willingness to arrest and threaten those who are involved in ethical, modern cyber operations. Law enforcement continues to push its ridiculous rules upon us - Anonymous "suspects" may face a fine of up to 500,000 USD with the addition of 15 years' jailtime, all for taking part in a historical activist movement. Many of the already-apprehended Anons are being charged with taking part in DDoS attacks against corrupt and greedy organizations, such as PayPal.

What the FBI needs to learn is that there is a vast difference between adding one's voice to a chorus and digital sit-in with Low Orbit Ion Cannon, and controlling a large botnet of infected computers. And yet both of these are punishable with exactly the same fine and sentence.

In addition to this horrific law enforcement incompetence, PayPal continues to withhold funds from WikiLeaks, a beacon of truth in these dark times. By simply standing up for ourselves and uniting the people, PayPal still sees it fit to wash its hands of any blame, and instead encourages and assists law enforcement to hunt down participants in the AntiSec movement.

Quite simply, we, the people, are disgusted with these injustices. We will not sit down and let ourselves be trampled upon by any corporation or government. We are not scared of you, and that is something for you to be scared of. We are not the terrorists here: you are.

We encourage anyone using PayPal to immediately close their accounts and consider an alternative. The first step to being truly free is not putting one's trust into a company that freezes accounts when it feels like, or when it is pressured by the U.S. government. PayPal's willingness to fold to legislation should be proof enough that they don't deserve the customers they get. They do not deserve your business, and they do not deserve your respect.

Join us in our latest operation against PayPal - tweet pictures of your account closure, tell us on IRC, spread the word. Anonymous has become a powerful channel of information, and unlike the governments of the world, we are here to fight for you. Always.

Signed, your allies,

Lulz Security (unvanned)
Anonymous (unknown)
AntiSec (untouchable)

http:///LAykd1es

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
That's kinda funny. I began boycotting Sony in 2001 and PayPal back in 2007. Anons must finally be catching on..

Edit to add: So much for the war between anonymous and lulzsec. I knew it was bs from the beginning... to declare a war then "bow out" immediately. We love these hacktivists because they're hitting these corporations where it hurts em, so why not work together? This is great. I love their statements... it reminds me of that anon twitter feed along the lines of: f**k washington for calling activists terrorists.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 27-7-2011 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2011 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriciusCaesar

That is more like it. That seems to be the way to get the point across. Hit them where it hurts!

In the wallet.

And best of all, the action is legal. One that I can support as it doesn't harm anyone other than the target.

Bravo!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I need paypal to take payments for my business I dont care about Julian Assange...

Its just pointless Paypal has over 200 million customers 99.999999 percent of them will never see that statement, waste of time.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I have a problem with their statement...the part where it says "ethical". They are a bunch of e-thugs and cyberbullies...and yes, their ddos attacks are illegal and punishable. Now, this current boycott, although I may disagree with their reason, is valid means of gettng their point across. Unfortunately for them...they made their bed...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is the way the movement should act I think, shortcuts i.e hacking and DDoS attacks usually come back to bite you in the ass. I support this effort

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
hehe, as a american i would never ever use paypal because its useless (only comfortable = the conditioning and endorphine release goes way faster
)...only in europe is some argument for paypal because they have to play with european banking rules...

but this is very impressiv:

www.google.co.uk...:EBAY

newschool boycott

edit on 27-7-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandora0629

I have a problem with their statement...the part where it says "ethical". They are a bunch of e-thugs and cyberbullies...and yes, their ddos attacks are illegal and punishable. Now, this current boycott, although I may disagree with their reason, is valid means of gettng their point across. Unfortunately for them...they made their bed...

At least this time the method they are using to get their point across is legal. On many issues I understand why Anonymous is upset...but I don't like it when they use illegal means to prove a point. If they want to be a mighty organization that wants to change things in society etc. then they should always find a way to do it legally...then I believe more people would listen and they may then gain the respect of people with a lot of influence that could help further their causes.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pandora0629

DDoS'ing a website is as simple as putting the websites name into your address bar and hitting reload over and over and over again. How exactly is that illegal? Does it become illegal when someone uses a script to automate the process? This is the same thing as people locking arms and blocking doorways as a peaceful protest. Would it be illegal for a bunch of people to form a line at a bank and ask as many ridiculous questions as possible and hold up the line as long as possible? This as well would be perfectly legal, and would indeed have the same effect.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

LULZ check the stock price

JT

Ebay stock price
edit on 27-7-2011 by Greenblaz because: added link

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Its just pointless Paypal has over 200 million customers 99.999999 percent of them will never see that statement, waste of time.

Yeah, this is just as effective as those "No one buy gas on Tuesday" type things.

Paypal still works and hardly anyone even knows they tried anything. I guess they can send emails to each other about how they shut Paypal down so they feel more important. *shakes fist* 'I'll teach they system and show them how non-conformist I am" ... Ah, and now back to playing ModernWarfare 2 on my XBox 360.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
I need paypal to take payments for my business I dont care about Julian Assange...

When they shut your account down for no reason and you cant do business then who will you use? I had them shut my account down for 2 days because I changed my security question, which I have every right to do. Lost all paypal business for 2 days with no compensation from paypal at all. Their reasoning was for my security. I now no longer use paypal.

Im sure more people have debit cards than they do paypal account. You don't "need" paypal.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

This is the law that makes it illegal:

18 U.S.C. § 1030 : US Code - Section 1030: Fraud and related activity in connection with computers

Also...lets not kid ourselves...while some of those involved make think their cause noble...many of them have been led down the path simply in search of mischief

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is meaningless, PayPal never from their start insured or guaranteed any of their users money. Only people who used it were Ebay type customers for convenience and they passed it in and out in small quantities for purchases.
Illegal entities attempted to use it to launder money around and now they are crying like babies because law enforcement is onto them and PayPal had to cooperate with them to stay in business.

If I were a PayPal user I wouldn't use them anymore not because of Anonymous boycott tantrum but because it is just not secure or safe, and never was from day one. People are realizing the truth of this now and that is the only awareness anon has made good in this issue.

Their other diatribe, crying about their sheeple who get the same sentence as the big dogs of anon, well boohoo.
I guess recruitment is down with such a hissy fit statement coming from them.
At first they were all cocky saying it don't matter how many they arrest. Now they are trying to convince the world how wrong it is to arrest them and charge them for ddos'ing.
Also the head honchos egos are obviously hurt because they are lumped in with the nobodies of the group, and everyone has seen the importance of ego among the hackers.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
this is such bs... People are flocking away from PP not to boycott anything but because they were strong armed into thinking their personal info was going to be hacked. How is that in any way ethical or legal...

Now thanks to this mass hysteria I can't get MY money out of PP to have my car fixed.. Is Anon going to compensate ME for the lack of transportation I now have?

This is nothing more than bullying, plain and simple...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I seriously can never tell whether these Anonymous statements are well-crafted satire or whether they are genuinely written by deluded, socially inept heliophobes.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by pandora0629

DDoS'ing a website is as simple as putting the websites name into your address bar and hitting reload over and over and over again. How exactly is that illegal? Does it become illegal when someone uses a script to automate the process? This is the same thing as people locking arms and blocking doorways as a peaceful protest. Would it be illegal for a bunch of people to form a line at a bank and ask as many ridiculous questions as possible and hold up the line as long as possible? This as well would be perfectly legal, and would indeed have the same effect.

Nope
You are wrong. Try it and go to jail good riddance to you then.
Most of these ddos'ers recieved a "care package" through anonymous and were directed to a specific target.
This is conspiracy, same as helping plan a murder. Recieving tools and following pre planned attacks as a distraction while millions of personal ID's are stolen is BIG crime which deserves and gets BIG punishment as accomplices.

edit on 27-7-2011 by TinfoilTP because: added for clarity

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Lol you guys are funny, and actually, I'm right!
Unless you think ddos is something else?
What I'm asking is at what point does this become illegal?
If a website goes down to ddos, then everyone else who is attempting to access that website is helping, by sending more requests to their servers. Should we arrest them?
Good luck proving these kids willingly helped and weren't hacked by super hackers to make them part of e botnet.

Also, good riddance to you too since you seem to enjoy sticking up for the man. IMO, all of You pro-pay pal people are just as bad by supporting a company that would seek to cut off funding to an organization that is exposing corruption. You have obviously picked your side, now get back on your knees

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Now these guys are seeming a little more legal.

Calling for a boycott, fine, have at it. But most people don't care that PayPal stopped funds to Wikileaks. Also, most people would not blame PayPal for doing so if they were threatened with legal action.

Not to mention, if anyone involved with Anon was still using PayPal I'd consider them a traitor already.

Also, when did they become cool with LulSec again?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join