It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food stamps and how they make people feel

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
I'm a cashier at a well-known, large grocery store, and I ring up people with foodstamps everyday. I think we need to put even MORE of a stigma on foodstamps. SO many people abuse them, giving their cards to their kids so they can buy all their school friends candy, soda, energy drinks, etc. People swipe their EBT cards buying steak and tell me they're throwing barbecues, having parties, then they go get in their brand new 2011 car, while I bust my # to pay for a #ty older car. No it's not "okay" to be on foodstamps!!!! It is not NORMAL, nor should it be! It's a last resort, something that should only be done in serious desperate measures. Otherwise, you are stealing from people who really are getting off their asses to work, people with honor and integrity.

Personally, I believe in abolishing foodstamps altogether. The government is stealing money out of my paycheck to use for charity, when charity should be given freely.

Let the flaming begin.

Wow. I wish *I* had enough to eat that I could give My card to someOne else. The $200 a month They give One on the card is about 1/2 of what I eat a month. Try standing in line at the food pantry if You think stamps make One feel bad. That's what *I* do.

As for what I buy? Pnut butter, jelly, bread, eggs, cheese, pasta, sauce, beans, onions, potatoes, garlic, apples, agave (My "big splurge"), milk, coffee, mayo, mustard, relish. That list right there is over $100. And I have to buy some of that several times a month.

Yeah, dude. We are so abusive of Our food stamps. Dear Gods! We're getting THINGS TO EAT with them! What's wrong with Us???

EDIT to add: I walk to the market (54 years old with arthritis). No "brand new 2011 car" here. I don't know who these people are that You are describing, but I worked at the Red Cross, and know many who are on stamps...and NONE has a new car, NONE buy steaks, and They are ALL struggling as I am.
edit on 7/27/2011 by Amaterasu because: add

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Morningglory

and by that time say 3 years , how much money have they spent/ used that they where not entitled too? and then how do you get it back? put them in jail for fraud, take the kids and put them in Forster homes?

Imo none of us are entitled to anything but it's simply the right thing to do when people are having a hard time. As far as paying it back maybe not but someday they might pay it forward. I in no way advocate putting honest people in jail who receive benefits in good faith. Dead beat dad's should be put to work not in jail.

Here there is no law, that i know of, that says how many kids you can have, (nor wives)

As far as I know there is no such law in my state either. The women are "encouraged" to get their tubes tied not coerced. They are required to seek employment when their children are 3 but aren't kicked off if no job is found.

well some day you that sit high and mighty just might be where the rest of us are, down and out making do with little or nothing at all with nothing left to loose, but the one thing that keeps us going is the fact we have done what we can, and honestly.

I hope you don't think I'm one of those that "sit high." Most of the young mom's I transported were struggling, they were very much alone. I feel sad that the general public hates them so much. I would direct them towards other assistance programs/jobs that I was aware of. I don't look down on people who need help and from my experience I really didn't see a majority taking advantage.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

"Imo none of us are entitled to anything but it's simply the right thing to do when people are having a hard time."

/thread

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
to the people who are agenst paying taxes do you know what your taxes pay for every time you dont take the chance for government help some one says well we wer paid 1billion over but no one even wanted to take the help so he calls its part of his yearly sallary or splits it so take dont feel ashamed wer all paying for everywon for people to fix our streets down to the people who make sure a building is up to code and then they change its so pay taxes and pay attention some people are takeing from what we give to each other
edit on 27-7-2011 by obzerver because: monkey sounds

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You're doing a great thing. I wish you all the best and much happiness with that precious grandbaby. Just like my coworker sometimes assistance is a package deal. You can get food stamps without getting welfare/medicaid but if you want that medical card you've got to take the rest. Good or bad that's how it works.

I wish some of the moms I knew had parents like you to help. I guess that's the only reason I got to know them because they had no one to drive them to Dr. appointments. Many of these young women are so alone or from such damaged homes they don't know how to be adults. Not all of them came from welfare homes either. So many misconceptions.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

reply to post by BIGPoJo

so a person must give up the kids education to eat , one must give up the job that has the health ins for one that does not, but needs no car, this does not make any sense, you have bad thinking of how it is, for the kid is in med school, might be the one to cure a major health disease, or could flunk out then yes it was a waste, but then that is the future, this is the here and now, and the now says they need to eat. or do you think rice and beans is enough

Why must I give up my money (actually its forcefully taken) so you can get what you WANT? Notice, I said want not need. You don't need a college education, you don't need health insurance, you don't need a car. How can you morally sit on your computer in your AC while you live off the backs of others? Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't see the justification in our current welfare state. Save the welfare for the people who truly cannot work. If you cant afford stuff and you have a job, get a better job!

This bring up another point. Dependence on welfare has given some companies the justification to pay less which actually hurts the economy even more. Remember the Walmart welfare scandal?

Your thinking is soo backwards I don't know where to begin..... You NEED to have a college education so that person one day has a good enough job to where they don't need assistance..... You NEED health insurance if you get into any kind of accident, they aren't gonna sew your arm back on for free ya know...... You NEED a car to get back and forth from work when you do have a job.....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by obzerver

yeah. we need to "form up" everybody....

seriously... food stamps look like a credit card, how could it get any more discreet?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

reply to post by BIGPoJo

so a person must give up the kids education to eat , one must give up the job that has the health ins for one that does not, but needs no car, this does not make any sense, you have bad thinking of how it is, for the kid is in med school, might be the one to cure a major health disease, or could flunk out then yes it was a waste, but then that is the future, this is the here and now, and the now says they need to eat. or do you think rice and beans is enough

Why must I give up my money (actually its forcefully taken) so you can get what you WANT? Notice, I said want not need. You don't need a college education, you don't need health insurance, you don't need a car. How can you morally sit on your computer in your AC while you live off the backs of others? Not trying to give you a hard time, I just don't see the justification in our current welfare state. Save the welfare for the people who truly cannot work. If you cant afford stuff and you have a job, get a better job!

This bring up another point. Dependence on welfare has given some companies the justification to pay less which actually hurts the economy even more. Remember the Walmart welfare scandal?

Your thinking is soo backwards I don't know where to begin..... You NEED to have a college education so that person one day has a good enough job to where they don't need assistance..... You NEED health insurance if you get into any kind of accident, they aren't gonna sew your arm back on for free ya know...... You NEED a car to get back and forth from work when you do have a job.....

No, your thinking is wrong because you feel entitled. Let me explain. You need food to live. All the things you mentioned are not needed to live. Understand? If we all needed the things you think we need then we would have them. You don't need an education to have a job. You don't need health insurance, period. Yes, if you go to the ER they will fix your arm regardless! You don't need a car to get to work! Have you ever hear of walking, riding a bus, car pooling, or a bicycle?

The problem is that the government has brainwashed the masses into thinking that they NEED Internet, TV, AC, insurance, cars, ect to SURVIVE. You need none of these things to survive. We are now living in the age of entitlements where our government is slowly putting people into slavery. Welfare is modern slavery, you rely on your master. You will vote to ensure that your master's plans are achieved. I hope this wakes someone up.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

So you would have everyone living in mud huts or tee pees? Must be nice having a job where you can just walk 10 mins to get there and it pay more than enough for you to live..... Screw the kids too they don't need no stinking education, who needs doctors or dentists anyways? Since everything is so easy can I have all your stuff? You can go live in the woods and SURVIVE like you want everyone else to do......

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

So you would have everyone living in mud huts or tee pees? Must be nice having a job where you can just walk 10 mins to get there and it pay more than enough for you to live..... Screw the kids too they don't need no stinking education, who needs doctors or dentists anyways? Since everything is so easy can I have all your stuff? You can go live in the woods and SURVIVE like you want everyone else to do......

Lets try this one more time. Watch this video and maybe just maybe you will understand why welfare suppresses the people and does not actually help anyone!

edit on 27-7-2011 by BIGPoJo because: bad vid link

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

So you find an Uncle Tom from 1980 with theories..Brilliant..that's sarcasm btw

Why is it that the only thing we get from Texas is dumb people with dumber ideas??
edit on 27-7-2011 by Stovokor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
reply to post by BIGPoJo

So you find an Uncle Tom from 1980 with theories..Brilliant..that's sarcasm btw

Something else to keep in mind when discussing welfare, he wanted welfare to go away back then because he knew we would not be better today. Look at welfare today, its a total joke! We have been subsidizing people's bad economic behavior and bad social behavior. On welfare, need more money? Just have more kids!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Since everything is so easy can I have all your stuff?

LOL! An accurate portrayal of the "welfare leech" mentality that is sending this country downhill.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

Hi,

Ok nice to know.

In Denmark, I had some misfortune and got those stamps. - I let my mom buy in for me because I was totally sucky at administrating it.

Anyway footstamps in Denmark is just a HUGE A4 sheet. Everyone can see you are in troubles. Also there is a lot you cannot buy on footstamps so it is ridiculesly hard to figure out at first.

So you are lucky with your credit card even that it isnt loaded with money.

Thanks,

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I used to buy food stamps for 50 cents a dollar. Now I plan to go on them it's already very easy, one of my neighbors has gotten extra food stamps for being homeless for several years now.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There are those who don't deserve help and those who do - All I can say is that I am very glad help is available, if people want to abuse the system then let it be on their heads.

It could be stopped all together, yes... but could you sleep at night knowing people were starving, just because some people abused the system that was in place to protect them? I know I couldn't.

I would be so ashamed of my country if it stopped giving help to those who needed it.

Humans are supposed to be compassionate and loving. Yes it's annoying when you see people getting more than they deserve, just stand tall and be proud that you are a better person because you don't join in with them.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
A local party store here quit taking EBT or whatever they are called. 2 Weeks later he closed down and the people had a good laugh well he re opened with a lot nicer selection and a great meat market and is busy as all get out. He said the cards were too much hassle but really he has a better class of customers and no trouble. Got rid of the lottery too

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by obzerver

food stamps are broken. they should only be able to be used for veggies, certain meats, bread, inexpensive oils etc... Its kinda frustrating seeing some drug dealer looking guy buying 60 dollars worth of shrimp with his EBT card. I used to be on it. Im glad im not anymore. me and my family are better off now.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
im not American but i do understand, we have similar systems in the UK. What i think needs to be done is simple: stop sending as much foreign aid to corrupt countries and government, stop spending so much on arms and war and start helping our own people. When helping other countries, go direct to the people, build school, hospitals, dont just fling cash into the hands of their governments

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join