It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would we recognise Jesus if he returned?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The bible talks of the return of Jesus Christ which would herald the rapture where those upon god list would be taken to heaven leaving behind those not worthy, which would soon be followed by the end of the world as we know it. Now given my question above, many of you will respond with a simple "the rapture would happen" or "we would just know" but how? Take for example, the belief that the rapture would come on the 21st of Mary 2011; for all intents and purposes, it didn't happen, but given that only the 'chosen' are supposed to be taken, is it not concievable given the world we live in, how it is run, how we as human beings are driven, that nobody is worthy? Would that not suggest that Jesus is in fact here?

Ok the above is a stretch, I realise that, but we live in a technological age and an age where we trust very little in peoples declarations especially when it comes to being of someone of religious significance (with the exception of devout followers) and when you throw in the different religions and their different beliefs, you automatically create a rift. In the time Jesus inhabited the earth as the son of god, people when faced with miracles (as I understood it) were a lot more easily convinced. In our age however, we are more sceptical than ever so if someone turned up on CNN or at your church or in the local park and claimed to be the son of god returned; what are the chances of you believing it?

People who have claimed to be Jesus or 'the second coming'

Haile Selassie I (1892–1975)
George Ernest Roux (1903–1981)
Ernest Norman (1904–1971)
Krishna Venta (1911-1958)
Ahn Sahng-Hong (1918–1985)
Sun Myung Moon (1920–)
Jim Jones (1931–1978)
Marshall Applewhite (1931–1997)
Yahweh ben Yahweh (1935–2007)
Laszlo Toth (1940-
Wayne Bent (1941-)
Ariffin Mohammed (1943-)
Mitsuo Matayoshi (1944-)
José Luis de Jesús Miranda (1946-)
Shoko Asahara (1955-)
David Koresh (1959–1993)
Hogen Fukunaga
Marina Tsvigun (1960-)
David Shayler (1965 -)
Sergei Torop (1961-)

The above list of names is taken from wikipedia and represents the people from the 20th century who have claimed or have been claimed to be the reincarnation of Jesus and may have either gone on to influence people and create new religious offshoots and in some cases cults. This, of course does not account for not only the people who have made the same claim prior to the 20th century but also those that did not attain a high enough profile to be noticed.

The interesting thing here is that a great number of people in the different cases all believed that their respective 'Jesus' was the real deal and in a leap of faith followed that person in the hope that they would lead them to heaven. So what happens when the next messiah shows up?

The powers of Jesus

Ok the picture is for levity; but Jesus is believed to have had certain powers from turning water into wine, being able to make bread and fish go far enough to feed 5000 people, healing the sick, curing the blind, rising from the dead and so on. But what about the people who are around today who do some of these things?

Joao Teixeira de Faria

Thousands of people from around the world diagnosed as terminal or incurable by modern medicine travel thousands of miles each month, enduring long international flights and exhausting bus rides to Abadiania. A small town in the mountains of central Brazil. They come to see miracle healer, Joao Teixeira de Faria, the man the people of Brazil have affectionately titled, "Joao de Deus" or "John of God". Joao is a simple man of humble beginnings who devotes three days of every week to healing his fellow man without payment for his services.

Tiffany Snow

Tiffany Snow is a modern mystic for the 21st century. She had a near-death experience in 1999 by lightning strike, where she met God and was given a mission. The Holy Stigmata started in 2005. She is a woman of confident prayer and full faith. She hears God and is heard by him. She shares information about the times we are living in and about the mysteries of God. And, she is gifted with being a touchstone for the miracle of healing.

These are just two examples of what I quickly found on the internet, but once again this is only represnting those that have some public notice and does not account for the many more stories of people being responsible for miracles. I cannot validate the claims of either of these people and nor do I intend to, but given their alleged 'powers' are they not candidates for being Jesus returned?

Jesus Doubted

This of course is the other issue, in his original time on earth, Jesus was persecuted and ultimately killed. Granted he died for our sins, but have not other alleged jesus figures also been persecuted? It strikes me that if you do stand up and try to draw attention to yourself as the 'son of god' that you are going to be persecuted and the chances are, that there will be even more people persecuting you today than two thousand years ago and a hell of a lot more mediums in which to do it (tv, radio, internet et al). So how would Jesus overcome this in order to get to the true believers?

And finally...

We are said to be created in Gods image and his son was born of flesh and blood to a human mother. If he returns, is he going to come in the same form so we will be more inclined to connect with him if he is like us and if so, how will he seperate himself from the charlatans? or will he choose a different form? and how will we, as humans connect with that? What are his other options?

I welcome peoples comments and thoughts on this, because I don't see his return as being as simple as some would suggest it is and I want to know what other people think on this subject.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Many have recognized him as portrayed on toast, receipts, etc.

When he shows up, he'll consist of a single, dark color, and resemble that of an ink blot.
edit on 7/26/2011 by BeyondPerception because: derp

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
ok, I will bite....

it may assist you in your quest to read what the bible says about this subject.

suffice to say, when the disciples asked this question - matthew chapter 24 - the first part of the answer is this:

"watch out! - many will come in my name saying "i am he"

and...

"if they say, he is out there or over here, don't be fooled into beliving this, fo ras the lightning shines from the east to west so shall the coming of the son of man be"

and in another place, "He is coming with clouds, and every eye shall see him"

of course there are numerous new age approaches to saying there will be a matreya or some other designated manifestation of the 'christ' here there and everywhere, however most of us would file that under 'anti-christ' or if you will interpret the greek, 'pseudo-christ" - which means, looks the same but isnt the real deal

bottom line is, the messiah, the son of man, Ya'shuah the king of kings and lord of lords, the Lamb, the conquering one, isnt going to return in any secret hidden or revelationary way, but in full view and sight of all

cheers

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You would spot him right away long hair on guys went out in the 90s yo!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisX99

Good topic!

Jesus stated he would return with a sword which would originally mean turning family member against family member, friend against friend until each spirit is clensed of negativity in the form of Jelousy, hatred, greed ect. All humans must be clensed of original sin to think nothing but positive of eachother and our domain no matter what the religion or culture!

He will be rejected at first and hated due to the message he will bring as this brings this out in all people who have not been enlightened!

When you speak of miracles, the miracle would be the information he holds for humans in general which has been silenced since his original death. He would have encounted miracles to get to the point he his at when delivering the message of life and death!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
All I can say to this is don't believe anyone claiming to be Christ in the flesh. I've quoted this before but more than glad to quote it again.

Matthew 24
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.

We are seeing more and more of this every day. Christ and his apostles have been very clear about the way Christ will return. However, there are many who are perverting this knowledge and leading many down the wrong path. The only reason this is happening is because people do not want to read the scripture for themselves. While there is nothing wrong with listening to the preacher, even his words should be crossed referenced and studied.

Let the Holy Spirit guide you, read the Word of God without commentary or mans interpretation and the truth will reveal itself.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
can I play ? I have had a theory that IF and I repeat IF jesus were to return it would be like the movie the Omen jesus would grow up like any normal kid he would discover who he was by himself. then what would he do with the knowledge of who he really was would he become a world teacher or retreat into obscurity. knowing that becoming a world teacher would mean many would try to kill him or use him for there own agendas ie church and state my theory is he would retreat what say you?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Let the Holy Spirit guide you, read the Word of God without commentary or mans interpretation and the truth will reveal itself.

I do not believe that others who 'claim' to be the return of Christ, partially because I feel it does not 'fit' and that I am a skeptic in many things.

anyway, the reason why I quoted your comment above is because it raises a question for me: If I do read the scripture surely will not my interpretation be the interpretaion of man? ie there are varying interpretations out there, how will I know if mine is the 'correct' interpretation? or could I possibly be then guilty of introducing another interpretation to the mix?

I hope that makes sense...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisX99

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

I do not believe that others who 'claim' to be the return of Christ, partially because I feel it does not 'fit' and that I am a skeptic in many things.

anyway, the reason why I quoted your comment above is because it raises a question for me: If I do read the scripture surely will not my interpretation be the interpretaion of man? ie there are varying interpretations out there, how will I know if mine is the 'correct' interpretation? or could I possibly be then guilty of introducing another interpretation to the mix?

you have probably heard that they train bank note handlers to recognise counterfeits by spending a lot of time with the real deal - so when a close copy shows up they can tell by the look, the feel, etc

moral of the story is, if you know the real version well enough, you wont have to worry about being tricked by a falsie

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
can I play ? I have had a theory that IF and I repeat IF jesus were to return it would be like the movie the Omen jesus would grow up like any normal kid he would discover who he was by himself. then what would he do with the knowledge of who he really was would he become a world teacher or retreat into obscurity. knowing that becoming a world teacher would mean many would try to kill him or use him for there own agendas ie church and state my theory is he would retreat what say you?

This is part of what I am wondering, if you believe the story this is effectively did the first time round. So surely if he were to return it would need to be in a different manner; ie completely aware of who he is, what his purpose is in order to effect that which he is supposed to effect. It would have to be 'bigger' or more 'powerful' than rising through the ranks to world teacher because, like you say, he would become a target in a number of different ways which would make it virtually impossible to do what he is supposed to do.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Since everybody seems to have bought into the anglicized version of him and will be looking for a white dude... no, I don't think most people will recognize him.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

which would soon be followed by the end of the world as we know it.

--This is False. World never ends. only the age of grace and the time of Jacob's Trouble which is the 7 year tribulation period will begin.

it didn't happen, but given that only the 'chosen' are supposed to be taken, is it not concievable given the world we live in, how it is run, how we as human beings are driven, that nobody is worthy? Would that not suggest that Jesus is in fact here?

-- first, Nobody is "Chosen" the Rapture is only for those that "Chose" him. And yes we're not worthy but by the blood of the lamb we have been cleansed and been made a new creation and that it is by Christ and Christ alone that we are worthy.

The interesting thing here is that a great number of people in the different cases all believed that their respective 'Jesus' was the real deal and in a leap of faith followed that person in the hope that they would lead them to heaven. So what happens when the next messiah shows up?

--- Those that have a knowledge of the word of God and a Relationship will know him at his appearing. Christ likened to a Sheep knowing the Shephards voice. Those that know the scriptures and have a relationship with him know what a false messiah is by the truth in the word and by the witness of the holy spirit.

if someone turned up on CNN or at your church or in the local park and claimed to be the son of god returned; what are the chances of you believing it?

--- Again, those that know scripture and the have a relationship with God will know that Christ returns for the church in the Air, with a shout and the trump of the archangel. Christ doesn't set foot on earth until the end of the tribulation to stop annihlation and setup his kingdom for 1,000 years.

, but given their alleged 'powers' are they not candidates for being Jesus returned?

---Again Christ doesn't return to the earth in the Rapture he catches away the church in the air. And the powers that are manifested are given to all christians who believe and know their rights within the laws of God. Healing is part of the everyday life as a christian, its complicated and there are different giftings to individuals but its all for the purpose of pointing to Christ. Anyone that uses it for selfish gain is using demonic power. yes, the devil can heal.

But what about the people who are around today who do some of these things?

--- There is Power that Christ delegated to teh church and rights as believers in their everyday walk to live in divine health and lay hands on the sick as an extension of Christ here on earth. There is satanic powers but none of them are as powerful as the Church.

So how would Jesus overcome this in order to get to the true believers?

----Jesus has already overcome. The people must overcome their doubts and fears and embrace the living God. the holy spirit works in conjuction with the word to confirm, exhort, and address the heart of the individual the truth.

We are said to be created in Gods image and his son was born of flesh and blood to a human mother. If he returns, is he going to come in the same form so we will be more inclined to connect with him if he is like us and if so, how will he seperate himself from the charlatans? or will he choose a different form? and how will we, as humans connect with that? What are his other options?

---- When Christ was resurrected from the dead he obtained a "Resurrected Body" or "Glorified Body" some of the attributes are able to phase from the natural to the spiritual, flight, walk through walls, dissapear, and shine bright like the sun (though not at all times it seems) Christ will appear and look like the days when he walked the earth but you will still see the nail holes in his hands and feet and in his side. He will not have any blood in his body neither will christians that recieve their glorified bodies when they are caught away in the rapture.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The Messiah will be a "she" or a "they" this time...

2nd

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisX99
If I do read the scripture surely will not my interpretation be the interpretaion of man? ie there are varying interpretations out there, how will I know if mine is the 'correct' interpretation? or could I possibly be then guilty of introducing another interpretation to the mix?

To some degree you are right. However, the Spirit is something that is felt, you can never see it with eyes of flesh. When you study certain doctrines some will just not feel right within your own spirit. The more you study the Word the more things will start to pop out and make more sense. Kinda of like the movie you have to watch a few times before you fully understand the plot.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

. . .is it not concievable given the world we live in, how it is run, how we as human beings are driven, that nobody is worthy? Would that not suggest that Jesus is in fact here?
No.
Because Jesus, if we are to believe that he is an actual person, would by definition be of a holy nature that all those unworthy in your hypothetical scenario would be dead from the sight of him.
What I mean is that if we believe in Jesus we would know of him and get the opportunity of having that belief, through the Bible and that would have Jesus returning with heavens glory to execute judgement on a sinful world.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

. . .or could I possibly be then guilty of introducing another interpretation to the mix?
Why would your interpretation be less valid?
Why would adding an interpretation be something worthy of having feelings of guilt over?
If you are concerned about getting it correct, my advice is start right now learning to read Greek because that is the only way you can do it, other than the thing already brought up, which is the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I agree with you and he did prophocise, I do not come in my own name and you do not believe me.
But there will be those who come in my name and you will believe them. Jesus has never and will never come inhis own name. He gives all power and Glory unto the Father.

In Revelations he is descibed as an angel with all power and glory comeing from above. He will be seen by all. It will be so loud and scary that we try to hide from him. Because he is not comeing in the image of man. Also he now has a name only his Father know's. So a quiet 2nd comeing in his own name isnt happening.

Not onlythis if he did come again as a man. He never preached secretly or quietly. So a select few only know him would be out. And I am pretty sure his 1st stop would be the vatacin.

LOTZA LUV 2 U
P.s. if anyone touched on these I apologize. I tend to only read the op untill I comment.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
that pic was hilarious!

you can be certain if you hear an invisible mans voice saying he's Jesus that would be Him

the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever.
1Tim1

he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”
And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” Then the Lord said, “I am Jesus
Acts9

He will not quarrel nor cry out, Nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets..
Matt12

good news is there is no special language requirement to hear other than the one you were born with

how is it that we hear, each in our own [native] language in which we were born?
Acts2

There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance.
1Corinthians

Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
John5

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
Romans10

and apparently coming with the heavens and the voice of the arc-Angel lighting them up like lightning from one end to the other like a thief in the night at a time or day that is neither

the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first
1Thessalonians

For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
Luke17

But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
Zecheriah14

Then the moon will be disgraced And the sun ashamed
Isaiah24

This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.
2Thessalonians

yet those in darkness are overtaken

But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
1Thessalonians5

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
Revelations1

For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.
Matthew18

will be of the tribe of Judah, not Davids son but is his seed though no longer known according to the flesh

Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.
Galatians3

And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Revelation5

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead
Romans1

For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
Hebrews7

And he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son? And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?
Luke20

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
2Corinthians5

His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
Revelation19

He has no form or comeliness; And when we see Him, There is no beauty that we should desire Him.
Isaiah53

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
John20
www.biblegateway.com...

there are many more details but tend to get carried away so I'll cut it short
edit on 27-7-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

If I could give you more than 1 star I would.
For anyone that had anymore questions, you just summed it all up.
2ND COMEING NOT QUIET.

LOTZA LUV

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
well here's your chance for another
gimme gimme

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join