It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investors: The $1 Billion Armageddon Trade Placed Against The United States

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Lets put it in another perspective.

Here is what the group of people had to lay out for margin - a measly 25,000,000 ( child's play in this market )

To lose 1 Billion on this trade the bond market would have to rally over 100 points!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

No, It probably is the Hungarian vampire George Soros......."the nation killer"

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Remember that America is tracking Germany pre world war II. The whole point is to make Obama or POTUS a dictator like ze Fuhrer. Anybody wanna bet that in the end, whenever that is, that Obama declares a state of emergency and unilateraly increasese the debt limit. Congress is giving away the power of the purse to ze Fuhrer, an important power.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalWabbit
Anyone want to bet on it being the Chinese ? think about it they could make billions and also destroy the US economy all at once.

Don't think so, the last thing the Chinese want is more U.S. paper.

That's why they have become the number 2 buyer of silver and gold over the last year, only behind India
edit on 27-7-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
This is such a non event, but a great example of how the media loves to mess with the uninformed.

There are 1 MILLION PLUS contracts being traded a day with 30 yr and 10 yr.

They are basically lying to you in so many words.

This is a literal drop in the bucket as far as liquidity goes in the most liquid market in the world.

EDIT

This guy(s) traded a total of 5000 contracts.

This is so laughable. 5000/1000000 daily = .005% OF AVERAGE TOTAL DAILY VOLUME
edit on 26-7-2011 by Dance4Life because: (no reason given)

I don't think anyone is concerned about the number of trades being made... it's the cost of 1 billion USD bet against the US that is interesting....

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Chances are, the bet is a safe one. Only someone blinded by politics would not be able to see the obvious.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Nevermind, misread it.

edit on 27-7-2011 by curious_soul because: wrong interpetation.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Meh, I think this simply some rich multi-multi-billionaire hedging his bets. He can afford to lose $1 billion if the US doesn't lose it's AAA rating, but if the US does lose the rating, then his earnings on the $1 billion bet will offset his losses that he kept in the normal market.

$1 billion from 1 person - this isn't a big deal. It's not that much money - and if it was such a sure thing, then surely he and many other billionaires would be pouring hundreds of billions of dollars on the same bet.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Lets put it in another perspective.

Here is what the group of people had to lay out for margin - a measly 25,000,000 ( child's play in this market )

To lose 1 Billion on this trade the bond market would have to rally over 100 points!

Totally agree, this is such a non event story being blown out of all proportion by the media and frankly some of the comments posted here just make me despair. As ever solid info and great posts Dance4

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jimrat201

I wonder if I too should make a bet against the Dollar so I can also reap the benefits >:]

Just kiddin

I don't have enough capital anyways

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be linked with someone in congress, since they are immune to insider trading laws.

You do not say?
Eric Cantor is betting against America on the stockmarket

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The US 'government' is a mafia which has to be brought down so the US can be saved...perhaps it's the white hats who are doing this?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
If they unload the position later this week it should be worth more than last Thursday. Who said they have to keep the position till the US budget situation is resolved?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalWabbit
Anyone want to bet on it being the Chinese ? think about it they could make billions and also destroy the US economy all at once.

Exactly what I was thinking. They will lose out if the US defaults but a bet against default means they have hedged their baets and could come out even. It all depends on what the return is for a billion. I would have thought somewhere nearer 100billion would need to be placed though.........

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

This is such a non event, but a great example of how the media loves to mess with the uninformed.

This is a literal drop in the bucket as far as liquidity goes in the most liquid market in the world.

EDIT

I don't think anyone is concerned about the number of trades being made... it's the cost of 1 billion USD bet against the US that is interesting....

No, you and others dont quite understand. But I can see this because you don't know any better plus the article is lying to you.

First of all it is not a 1 Billion dollar bet. Not even close. It is 25,000,000 for the initial margin requirement. Which, take my word, is not a lot of money in this industry. Much more than I will personally ever accumulate, but not a lot when we look at this market.

Next, the 5000 contracts being laid are so not newsworthy it is ridiculous. Like I said .005% of total daily volume.

Btw, how do you know this trade isn't hedged in another market? Such as going long dollar? Or what about synthetic options such as selling puts and buying futures?

See, the thing is that this trade is so dumb and out of context it is hard to even comment on it. It really is no big deal at all. The market isn't ran by small timers like me, it is ran by the millions of people that have this kind of cash to throw around.

Must have been a slow news day or something - because they REALLY went out of their way to sensationalize this.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Over here, where TAB let you bet on just about anything, I thought that was bad enough, but I didn't think I could be more shocked!
This is huge and the flow on is going to become a perpetual machine, very scary stuff.
It's so blatant I'm speechless....

Actually a movie springs to mind, not sure why really?!?!.... the stand.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.
Who could they war with then? Everyone? I feel bad for the American People, it's not a great time for most of them.
If this is true, if, let's hope they get a better deal from the new owners.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Hi,

Please state the obvious for me?

Thanks,

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but if they raise the debt ceiling and print more money wouldn't that decrease the value of the green back? Also wouldn't it decrease the value of the green back if they don't raise the debt ceiling due to the fallout on the international market that will cause?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

EDIT

ehm my math is very very bad...

but isn't 5000/1000000, 5 percent instead of 0.05??

just wanted to point that out

wich is a pretty significant number IMHO.
edit on 27-7-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join