It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrisburg Running Out Of Money To Fuel City Vehicles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Harrisburg Running Out Of Money To Fuel City Vehicles Public Works Department Seeks At Least $400,000
www.wgal.com...

City officials said in three weeks all city vehicles, including fire trucks, police cruisers and trash trucks, will run out of fuel. To meet fuel requirements for all city vehicles, the public works departments needs at least $400,000. Read more: www.wgal.com...

So what happens if the money doesn't come through? Criminals go free because cops can't respond in cars? Fires burn because the engines can't roll? How about the trash pick up?
They're also talking about ambulances and school buses.

I don't know if it would happen and probably not but imagine a city at a stand still. Where would they go for fuel? I'm thinking that in this scenario, farmers and trucking companies will be approached to give up the gold.

Now imagine if this was maybe New York. And they needed millions of dollars for fuel but had no money for it. Absolute Chaos.

Things just ain't getting better.

edit on 26-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I guess there will be a lot of cops suddenly getting a proper regimen of excercise as bike and foot patrols become universal. Of course that gets a little complicated for the Fire Department. Bucket Brigades wouldn't look too good on the evening news as a house burns to the ground. Some days this whole situation is just too surreal.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I thought they turned to god to get rich? I guess he has more important things to do eh?

I forgot to add my point..

NEW YORK: The debt-ridden capital of the state of Pennsylvania has tried every form of fiscal belt-tightening, from layoffs to furloughs to filing for bankruptcy . Now it is turning to God.

Harrisburg Mayor Linda Thompson said on Friday she will join religious leaders in three days of fasting and prayer to encourage "a cooperative spirit among government leaders, the business community and citizens."

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7/26/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This is not a peak oil issue.

It is a budget and economy issue.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The small town I live in, is starting to turn off portions of the street-lamps, because they can't afford the electric bill (not joking). They're shutting off lamps because they can't scrounge an annual of around $6000 to keep them on. If I ever see a new statue, or fountain, or town funded football field, I'm going to burn it all down.

This is a very common theme in municipalities where funds from taxes pour into "renovations" like a fresh coat of paint for an entire state building, or vain lawn ornaments. Yet they never think to stop this, instead they shut off street lights so people get vehicular slaughtered on some dark corner, or they revoke basic fuel funds for emergency vehicles. These people live in a world of their own.

Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas.
edit on 26-7-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

cops can use the exercise Ive seen ALOT of BIG HEAVIES , houses can burn cause people have insurance or the over paid (avg60k yr salary) firefighters can buy the gas.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've been to Harrassburgh, there's nothing there but government buildings and a few dingy businesses. The city exists to serve as the seat of Pa's government and any REAL businesses make sure to operate outside city limits where tax levels are probably cheaper.

Their problem is that have no industry or businesses creating wealth inside the city for them to tax to pay the bills. If everybody who works in the city receives their paycheck from some level of government, it becomes a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul and the money is bound to run out sometime.

Harrassburgh is an example of what this country will become if we continue to rely on fat government jobs to create the wealth for the people.

edit on 7/26/11 by FortAnthem because: :pbtime:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Harrisburg is seriously on the verge of bankruptcy, so as a PA resident this comes as no surprise to me. It also comes as no surprise the mayor has resorted to praying to fix the problem, as she also has to come up with some kind of city saving budget/debt reduction. Her "idea" mimics the proposal the state of PA came up with, that the local council has shot down. There are also some new commute tax she would like to implement, but it is getting heavy heat from state senate

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
here in stockton, california they have cut the police force over 25%, and now they are shutting down courts that deal in civil litigation throughout the county. DMV (dept. of motor vehicles) has 3 fridays off a month, city workers that work in maintainence, water, parks, road repair, and county offices, have had their budgets cut by up to 50%

robberies are occuring in broad daylight in shopping malls and parking lots that are in upscale neighborhoods, kids riding their bicycles are being beat up and robbed of their bikes and cell phones. women that go to large grocery stores are being beaten up and robbed of their purses, and some are getting their cars stolen too. ice cream shoppes, dry cleaners, restaurants and fast food places are getting robbed in broad daylight. homes in even the upscale neighborhoods are being shot at by passing vechicles...and this is happening all over from what i have been reading.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm very familiar with the Stockton situation by virtue of having gone into California for produce with my truck until recently. The police in Stockton did predict this would happen when the unthinkable cuts were made. The degree they cut police in a city that was not real good in it's best days is unconscionable.

Whats worse, if I may add to the discussion, places like California have such draconian and thick headed laws about personal defense and the right for a legal and background checked citizen to carry a firearm, people are essentially unarmed sheep for the slaughter. Cut the cops, and they have nothing left but appeasement and hope the bad guys don't hover on them too long at any one time.

What a horrible, horrible state of affairs ANYWHERE in the United States of America.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

my my. But we can afford to give Iran 400 million dollars. Maybe Harrisburg should just move location to Iran.
edit on 1-11-2016 by kmartwalker089 because: (no reason given)

join