It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann benefitted from federal home loan program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Source

Like many members of Congress, Rep. Michele Bachmann has been a fierce critic of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, blaming the government-backed loan programs for excesses that helped create the financial meltdown in 2008.

And like millions of other home purchasers, Bachmann took out a home loan in 2008 that offered lower costs to the borrower through one of the federally subsidized programs, according to mortgage experts who reviewed her loan documents.

Just a few weeks before Bachmann called for dismantling the programs during a House Financial Services Committee hearing, she and her husband signed for a $417,000 home loan to help finance their move to a 5,200-square-foot golf course home, public records show. Experts who examined the loan documents for The Washington Post say they are confident that the loan was backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

Michele Bachmann believes if you need any assistance you should turn to God and your neighbors but if she needs assistance, even though she has a steady income of well over $100,000, then government should be there for her. But after Bachmann received assistance from the government she turned around and called for dismantling these programs which were just used by her. What a dirty hypocrite!

Not to mention that she received government aid for a counseling clinic worth $30,000 and $260,000 in farm subsidies.
Source

If you are poor you should turn to God, if you are Michele Bachmann then government should have to help. Nice Michele, nice.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Michele Bachmann ~ this chick leaves me speechless. one thing I will say is I wonder about the mental faculties of my fellow American. how the hell did this lady get to where she is today? next question; what is in the water in Minnesota? finally, who are her constituents ~ the Stepford wives? I thought Palin was a loon, Bachmann has her beat hands down.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The Washington Post say they are confident that the loan was backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

Now that's some breaking news, wait it might be if not for like something of 90% of home loans out there are backed by Fannie and Freddie.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
this is why government representatives use "rhetoric".

rhetoric
Noun
: the art of speaking or writing effectively: as a : the study of principles and rules of composition formulated by critics of ancient times b : the study of writing or speaking as a means of communication or persuasion
a : skill in the effective use of speech b : a type or mode of language or speech; also : insincere or grandiloquent language
: verbal communication : discourse
Examples of RHETORIC

a college course in rhetoric

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
No different than any politician, for any party, on almost any level. There is no person I know of that hasn't contradicted themselves: However; so blatantly and so soon. Seems even wannabe politicians get a pass on nearly anything. Disgusting

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
actually 95% of all us mortages are backed by fanny and freddy and trade through mers.

fanny and freddy and mers were all created by the same people.

and most people have no clue who their mortgage is through at any given time since they are traded and the feds control that trade.

not excusing bachman most people couldnt tell you right now who their mortgages were through

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
So what if she want's to use something that's available to her at the moment. That has nothing to do with her decision to want to get rid of them. Alot of people don't like their health care system at the moment but use it anyways and are working to change it. Should they quit using their health care just because they want a different system?

If she is successful and get's rid of these programs than she will no longer use them but until them she has as much right as everyone else does and that doesn't make her a hypocrite.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Just a few weeks before Bachmann called for dismantling the programs during a House Financial Services Committee hearing, she and her husband signed for a $417,000 home loan to help finance their move to a 5,200-square-foot golf course home, public records show. Experts who examined the loan documents for The Washington Post say they are confident that the loan was backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

I guess I'm unclear on how one goes about getting a mortgage backed by Fannie or Freddie through a direct route.
Aren't mortgages typically originated through a broker?

Are you insinuating that Bachman pulled strings, and had her mortgage originated directly through Fannie/Freddie?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Skada

A good meaning of rhetoric I was taught was ' asking questions you already know the answers to '.
I feel that fits snugly in the political arena.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
He's just a Bachmann hater and is using whatever he can, no matter how slim on evidence, to discredit her. She's not my favorite either but there is plenty of ammunition to use against her without making stuff up.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

and what about collecting the very same farm subsidies she calls 'welfare'? Do you not consider that hypocrisy?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
actually 95% of all us mortages are backed by fanny and freddy and trade through mers.

fanny and freddy and mers were all created by the same people.

and most people have no clue who their mortgage is through at any given time since they are traded and the feds control that trade.

not excusing bachman most people couldnt tell you right now who their mortgages were through

Ditto!!!
I can't even remember how many times my mortgage was bought and sold throughout the good old glory years of the mortgage boom. All I would see is a letter in the mail.

top topics

join