It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Venezuela Holds Chavez Recall Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
President Hugo Chavez has held Venezuela hostage during his term in office. A Leftist elected in 1998, he has tried to polarize Central, and South American politics, specifically against the United States. He has close ties to Fidel Castro of Cuba, and has joined the Cuban Dictator in attempts to influence U.S. economic and strategic concerns in the region.

www.foxnews.com
CARACAS, Venezuela � Voters turned out in huge numbers Sunday to decide whether to keep populist President Hugo Chavez (search) in power or oust him and his social revolution that critics say has sidelined the middle class and fueled tensions between rich and poor.

Activists on both sides set off huge firecrackers and played recorded bugle songs to wake voters hours before dawn. Voters turned out in droves, waiting in line for five hours or more to cast ballots in the historic vote.

It was the first time in Venezuela's history that a referendum on cutting short a president's term in office has been held. The vote will determine whether the country continues with Chavez's social revolution, his centralizing of power in the presidency and close ties with Cuba � policies that have deeply divided the nation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ultimately this is a dual issue of Democracy, and economic well being for the citizens of Venezuela. U.S. business interests will remain regardless of the outcome of the election, only the veil of anti-American rhetoric will be lifted by his defeat in terms of North American awareness.

Related News Links:
www.odci.gov
en.wikipedia.org
www.realcities.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Is Venezuela another Haiti???
Another shot fired in the OPEC currency war???

[edit on 8-16-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-16-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
More related threads:

posted on 12-8-2004
The man from Venezuela said "NO!", now he's got to go!

posted on 23-7-2004
Venezuela May Suspend Oil Shipments to US

I think the polls close at 8pm EST so we only have a few hours to wait for the results.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This will probably get lost in the sea of breaking news, hurricane Charley, the Olympics, our own election headlines. The key of course is oil, Venezuela could be key in a showdown with Iran that may slow the flow of oil out of Middle East. The other concern is a gradual slip of democracy in Central America, and the resources that may have to be diverted (military) should some form of a Communist dictatorship, with possible expansionist intent evolve from Chavez's ability to retain office.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Venezuela extended a recall referendum on President Hugo Chavez into a second day, after a record turnout and malfunctioning ballot machines kept voters in line for as long as 10 hours.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I await the results with bated breath.

I like Chavez. The only ostensible reason he is drawing such flak is that the US and our business interests fear he will succeed in installing a protectionism that benefits the Venezuelan people and loosens our strangle hold over their economy.

He was democratically elected, and has accepted this referendum. Doesn't sound like a dictator to me...

We do not fear the possibility of expansionistic communism from Chavez himself: rather we fear that if Chavez succeeds in wrestling back his economy from our talons, and those of the IMF, he might set a positive example for other South American countries. Our hegemony over the Americas relies on our ability to influence the evolution of the other economies south of our border into serving our interests before their own. Chavez is the first person in Latin America to challenge this dynamic effectively since Castro, and he has the added insolence of having done so without coercion! Surely this is unforgivable! He must either be pushed into using military force to maintain his sovereignty, so we can then paint him as a dictator, or he must be ousted via a coup...

*shakes head*

I like Chavez. He spells hope for countless millions of South Americans who live in countries rich in resources, but who never see the just profit from them and who suffer the direct or indirect brutality of regimes we approve of for economic reasons.

U.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by upuaut]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has survived a referendum to recall him

With 94 percent of the vote counted, 58 percent voted to keep Chavez in office, said Francisco Carrasquero, president of the election commission.

Chavez supporters immediately set off fireworks and began celebrating in the street

AP

Two pro-opposition electoral officials questioned the result, said procedural checks had not been carried out on the results as required.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by Riwka]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has survived a referendum to recall him

With 94 percent of the vote counted, 58 percent voted to keep Chavez in office, said Francisco Carrasquero, president of the election commission.

Chavez supporters immediately set off fireworks and began celebrating in the street

AP

Two pro-opposition electoral officials questioned the result, said procedural checks had not been carried out on the results as required.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by Riwka]

I'm very pleased and not entirely surprised of this victory.
The questioning of it surprises me even less.

US and corrupt Venezuelan business interests will try to wrestle as much legitimacy to their eventual coup attempt as they can. Any doubt they can cast on the referendum's legitimacy will help them in this endeavour.

I am open to the possible legitimacy of their concerns, but note that this fits the pattern of the forseeable intent to use Washington's support to bring about a coup.

U.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by upuaut]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I am trying to post this on all Venezuela threads so forgive if you have seen this already.

www.gregpalast.com

Check out the Chavez card!!

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
I am trying to post this on all Venezuela threads so forgive if you have seen this already.

www.gregpalast.com

Check out the Chavez card!!

Yeah, I've seen it. Its very good

U.

top topics

join