It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber Security Chief Resigns Suddenly....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Cyber Security Chief Resigns Suddenly....

www.guardian.co.uk

Randy Vickers, the director of the US computer emergency readiness team (CERT), stepped down on Friday, according to a Department of Homeland Security email obtained by the Reuters news agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This has gone under the radar at other sites and in the MSM. I find it distressing to say the least. Mainly, the abruptness of it. What's going on that we don't know about?

Is the crash of the Web imminent? Is the USA losing in cyberspace?

Personally, I think large scale cyberattacks are imminent. The US government is so far behind the curve in cyberwarfare, it's astounding. We invented the damn thing and yet we lost control of it from day one!

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Looks like he may have bit off more than he could chew. He probably had no idea what he was getting himself into. I do have to wonder why all of a sudden, perhaps someone forced him to resign, perhaps he failed hardcore.

Which seems most likely.. "You failed, you got no one from Anonymous.. go home", or something along those lines.

Wonder who is going to step up to the plate (and get tackled off again)

They old school, usin' windoze 98
edit on 26/7/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is very sudden and with no explanation
as to why he resigned - maybe he was threatened
personally in some way. I think if it had just been
the difficulty of the job he would have not gone
so quickly.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
cyberspace is no more secure than actual space, if you wouldnt put national secrets in a conspicuous box with a 5 dollar lock on it in the middle of an open highway why would you let that be your countrys online policy --- we'll catch up to the learning curve but how much will we loose along the way, a couple more hard drives --- maybe a nucleur facility?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'm with you.
Seems more like a takeover of some sort by someone or something.

On second thought, it could be just scapegoating, or (as it happened on friday, and we're just hearing about it on tuesday), it may be even more significant than it seems, as that was the day the budget thing was blowing up... and this was supposed to be missed, or dismissed.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Dogdish because: 2nd thoughts

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

I figure Anon is doing the USA a favor by pointing out the weaknesses.

Anyone remember all the cyber attacks by CHINA???

Chinese Cyber Attacks On Rise: U.S. Report - Defense News

China mounts cyber attacks on Indian sites

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

I figure Anon is doing the USA a favor by pointing out the weaknesses.

Anyone remember all the cyber attacks by CHINA???

Chinese Cyber Attacks On Rise: U.S. Report - Defense News

China mounts cyber attacks on Indian sites

Oh I couldn't agree more. I don't agree with some of their methods or some of their philosophies, but they are pointing our serious flaws in US cybersecurity----which in and of itself is an oxymoron.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There is no true 'cybersecurity', there will always be flaws to be exploited. If you want to defend sensitive information, you're better off using a pen and paper and keeping it locked in a safe.
edit on 26-7-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This happened last Friday.

He is just a fall guy (a govt sheep like the teenagers caught on the other side) as TPTB mold the Department of Homeland Security into the tool they wish it to be.
Already there are stories of how DHS will be given greater control over federal and private networks.

Hey this is a conspiracy site so IMO, it is either the above or this guy abruptly realized he is not supposed to catch the bad guys and resigned.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

ast month on Flag Day, Anonymous launched Operation CTRL+ALT_BERNANKE, an effort to break up the Fed and too-big-to-fail banks, bring criminal charges against the worst offenders of the financial collapse, and obtain the resignation of the Fed’s wayward chief Ben Bernanke. Needless to say, Bernanke still holds his position. But after a flurry of hacks and cyber attacks from Anonymous and their anarchic counterparts LulzSec, the head of US cyber security Randy Vickers has resigned.

www.deathandtaxesmag.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
From the news item:

the US deputy defence secretary, revealed earlier this month that a foreign intelligence service had stolen up to 24,000 computer files from a Pentagon supplier in March – one of the largest successful cyber-attacks on a US government agency.

That was done by a "foreign intelligence agency" and above everything else is likely the main reason.

If you're the coach of a consistently losing team, you are often quietly given a choice... Step down, or you will be fired!

He made the right choice, since he may seek employment now in the private sector.

The government needs to now bring forward their best of the best to lead the fight, you know all of those kids who were so damned good, rather than jailed they were given a job.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This just opens the space for a crusader to come in and lead the freight train that is cyber-security law. This is not good at all. Expect a strong personality to take his position.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The number of cyber attacks that have hit agencys within the US government have forced him out. China is the number one attacker that have hit the FBI, CIA, DoD, DIA, ATF, FBI and others. These attacks seem to happen with regular occurence and without obstruction. Interesting news piece for sure. Thanks for posting this as the Main Stream Media continues to fail in it's dutys.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think they hired someone from anon to take his place.

Yanno, someone with actual experience?

Who would want the job, anyway?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
He's probably resigning because he knows information loss in inevitable and unpreventable and he doesn't want the entire country holding him personally responsible. Kind of like the BP guy that quit because he was getting so much unecessary negative publicity. It's not like he broke the well, yes he was the COO but the entire executive committee was responsible, not just this one guy.

Basically the security head does not want to be a scapegoat.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I wouldnt say you have lost control of "it"", dont you have a center in the side of a mountain that reads all e-mails and is in total control of the web? I think the name is Maryland but I might be wrong . With regards to the Chinese hacking in on your so called secret files what better excuse for a war than deliberately let them hack some useless files . Everybody knows that a war is good for the economy when it is down , like now . Maybe this guy doesnt like this way of working and he walked . While the pentagon invented computers I think you will find that Tim Berners-Lee a British scientist is credited with being the "father '" of the web, just saying . Good find though well under the radar.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

ast month on Flag Day, Anonymous launched Operation CTRL+ALT_BERNANKE, an effort to break up the Fed and too-big-to-fail banks, bring criminal charges against the worst offenders of the financial collapse, and obtain the resignation of the Fed’s wayward chief Ben Bernanke. Needless to say, Bernanke still holds his position. But after a flurry of hacks and cyber attacks from Anonymous and their anarchic counterparts LulzSec, the head of US cyber security Randy Vickers has resigned.

www.deathandtaxesmag.com...
I suspected it had something to do with that. There's probably a lot more to this story than people think.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pdon60

According to Al Gore, he invented it!

Guess that's a democrat for you. When smooething works, they take the credit!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
He spent all his time going after American dissidents and the Anti-Obama crowd......

that he failed to protect the Trillions wiped from electronic accounts, get the Trillions that had been stolen from accounts the last decade......or even secure the classified networks he's suppose to secure.

The only thing our Federal Government's been successful at doing is handing out National Security Letters to website creators telling them to take down their dissident/gripe sites.

Bush handed out lots of those letters....I wonder how many Obama's handed out so far to edit the internet?

new topics

top topics

join