It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Investigates Taped Beating By Tennessee Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The FBI has launched a criminal probe into a January incident where Tennessee police stripped a man naked, then kicked and beat him while he lay handcuffed in the snow.

The incident, recorded by a patrol car's dashboard camera, also reveals police repeatedly shocking the man, Darrin T. Ring, of New Johnsonville, Tenn., with a Taser and spraying him with pepper spray.

For nearly ten minutes, the video shows Ring writhing and screaming in pain as a gaggle of officers shout contradictory demands at him.

www.huffingtonpost.com...&title=Rodney_Kin g_Beating

I didn't see this when I put the title into search, so if it's already been posted, apologies in advance.

The man beaten by police had to sit in jail for five months waiting for the trial.

This is really bad though. Police want to just beat up anyone these days. If it had not been taped, this guy would've probably been sent away for a while.

They stripped the guy naked. I wonder why they felt the need to do that. Maybe to dehumanize him further.

Pretty bad.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Why does the FBI care?

In their own way, they are just as bad at times.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
watch the tape of this guy being beat. I can never figure out why these cops do what they do when they know their own dashboard cams are rolling. I suppose arrogance overrides intelligence once again. I hope this guy who was beat sues the living s*it out of these police. he deserves every penny. these cops are an embarrassment.

link   

O_O

wow, thats the first time a so called "police beating" is shocking me...THATS nazi style!!! even the arriving witnesses dont bother them...heavy #...

ok..i got confused...OPs vid is...nothing special...the video i saw was:

and its a shame i didnt realized, i got suspicious after reading..rodney king..and 1991..but i thought its a coincident..and didnt read the article ^ ^
and THATS a legendary video...
edit on 26-7-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/959a8d5188fa.gif[/atsimg]

Citizens will never get justice when law enforcement polices their own. We need civilian review boards. Officers need to be held accountable and when they cross the line, they need to do hard time. Officers need regular lie detector tests and they need to be tested for drugs, especially Steroids.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here's the video:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Citizens will never get justice when law enforcement polices their own.

True

We need civilian review boards.

Most large departments have them already but should be part of the requirements to be an accredited department.

Officers need to be held accountable and when they cross the line, they need to do hard time.

They already are and often do hard time

Officers need regular lie detector tests

Why bother as anyone with half a brain can beat a polygraph? I can tell you I have 3 heads and come from the planet Klingon and it'll show as true.

and they need to be tested for drugs, especially Steroids.

Already done.

That being said I see no reason whatsoever for the conduct in the video. A lot of times these type posts are inflammatory with assumptions being made as to police procedure and in some the fact that an officer goes hands-on with a suspect sets off the whackjobs. This case however- those officers involved, including those there that did nothing to stop it, need to face criminal charges IMO.

I understand telling the guy to keep his hands visible (might have a weapon in a pocket). I understand multiple officers getting control of the subject. Once handcuffed and searched everything ends. Period.

Good thing the TBI and FBI are in on it. Both organizations specialize in putting dirty cops in jail.
edit on 26-7-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
One of these days, they are going to tangle with someone they are going to wish that they left alone. One day, they are going to start knocking a special forces person around and they are going to get their asses handed to them. I would love to see the officers get totally disarmed and placed in cuffs and the guy just sit down and wait for the cavalry.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This kind of thing really has to stop and videos like this might be key in getting that done. It isn't necessarily the cops taking this guy down or even the pulling of his clothing, since the cops had no idea if he was armed or not and rolling on the ground could easily see him pop up with a gun he had in his waistband.

What makes me sick on this is the repeated and merciless use of the taser. If these doughnut munching revenue collectors with a badge can't get into decent enough shape to manhandle someone into compliance when it's 3 on 1, they need fired and directed toward basket weaving or perhaps a rewarding career as a security guard to the local records storage center.

The use of these tasers started as a logical idea to make a bridge before simply shooting someone. However, it's become a tool of punishment as much as anything and that, by definition, would be torture. Talk about a decent idea abused to the point of absurdity and morphed into something that's almost becoming evil in how it's applied to people.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Cops are always getting out early because of "safety" concerns. That one in SF who shot the guy in the back of the head only did 11 months.

Steroid testing isnt widespread. Jersey just started doing it this year.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Every single day.

Why are we still paying to have these people beat up our neighbors?

America is broke, I say defund the police.

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This was posted about a week or so ago...guess memories are short around here...it's good to see the FBI has decided to check it out. Seems the FBI has been checking out other complaints in other police departments across the country....Seattle PD is one that was recently in the news.

For me, the problem is when the government gets involved and will eventually lay down laws that local police will follow federal mandates and rules...which believe me...will eventually happen...and then we will loose one more freedom that we didn't respect.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by SFA437

Cops are always getting out early because of "safety" concerns. That one in SF who shot the guy in the back of the head only did 11 months.

And Louis Eppolito and Stephen Caracappa are doing life.

Mehserle (BART shooter) was convicted of involuntary manslaughter after a trial by jury and was sentenced to two years with credit for time served. Jurors were given the choice of 2nd degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter and acquittal.

Is your point being that we should do away with jury trials or that the two NYC officers really aren't doing life since they secretly got out for safety concerns or... I really don't see any point in that statement actually.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Steroid testing isnt widespread. Jersey just started doing it this year.

Been done in NC since 1996. Just because one state lags does not mean others have not been doing it for years already.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Why does the FBI care?

In their own way, they are just as bad at times.

Because when a person act under the color of law (Police oficers as an example) we can violate a persons civil rights, and in this case so far thats what it looks like.

42 USC 1983 is the Federal statute that covers police action / violation of rights.

I am a bit confused on why he is in jail though. In order for that to happen he had to go before a judge and enter a plea. It looks as if the judge either remanded him or issues a bond/bail amount high enough the guy cant make it.

I would assume the defense attorney would raise the issues with the arrest and officer behavior to the judge to ensure the law was in fact followed when the arrest was made.

Either way, if the facts are correct and this got got stripped nake and beat in the snow while handcuffed, then I wish him my best when he retires with a 7 figure number from the lawsuit. If he is nice enough maybe he will send the cops postcards to whichever correctional facility they will be guests of.

Does anyone have any more in depth info that shows what occured prior to the arreest?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
And the cops wonder why so few people have even the smallest amount of respect for them these days. One can hardly turn ones head without hearing about another gaggle of dirtbags in uniform flipping their lids and getting way out of hand in pretty desastating ways.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
And the cops wonder why so few people have even the smallest amount of respect for them these days. One can hardly turn ones head without hearing about another gaggle of dirtbags in uniform flipping their lids and getting way out of hand in pretty desastating ways.

Yes by all means stereotype all cops.....

While we are at it I can post plenty of non cops who o what you just described... Where is your standard at for those people? Or do you only apply it to Police?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Xcath-

IIRC the original call was "man with a gun". Guy kept putting his hands in his pockets so I get the takedown and that part is legit.

The Tasing and spraying post-cuffing I simply cannot wrap my head around- even if he had a weapon once handcuffed the suspect can be easily controlled.

As for stereotyping cops and applying the same epithets to civilian rapists, serial killers, pedophiles, murderers, robbers and whatnot... it's only the police who do those kind of things don'tcha know?

Case in point is the earlier poster who implied shenanigans in the case of the BART shooting when in actuality it was a jury who could have convicted for murder but decided on involuntary manslaughter...
edit on 26-7-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

I personally am sick of watching police outnumber a person 3 or sometimes 5 to 1. The police are trained on restraint techniques. Yet, they can never get the cuffs on a person that appears subdued. They constantly yell to stop resisting. And not one of them has ever reached for their handcuffs. Once you apply one handcuff to a person there are all kinds of techniques you can use to leverage a person with pressure to put the other cuff in place. I have arrested many people and never had a problem applying handcuffs.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Monger

Yes by all means stereotype all cops.....

While we are at it I can post plenty of non cops who o what you just described... Where is your standard at for those people? Or do you only apply it to Police?

Cops should absolutely be held to a MUCH higher standard than your average Joe Citizen. They carry themselves in judgement of people, able to simply cart you away in cuffs and mess up for life for something so simple as not liking what you have to say. And it happens every frigging day all around the world. They serve a role in our society, to be sure, but at the same time, they should be prepared to be held to a very high standard compared to average folk.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The FBI has launched a criminal probe into a January incident in which a Tennessee man was stripped, beaten and repeatedly shocked with a Taser by sheriff deputies. A civil suit is being prepared against the officers.

top topics

join