It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bet you didnt think about THAT!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
There are so many survivalist that pride themselves with their knowledge, abilities and skills but it can be that ONE thing that you didnt think of that could have you or your family pushing up daisies.

Hmm, I think you can forget A MILLION things, and you and me and everyone we know will still be pushing up daisies – sooner or later. No one gets out gets out of life alive you know

Joking aside, I think that it can be a little limiting to think that you will have control over a catastrophy situation with the right equipment or the right skills. I think the most important thing will be the ability to think outside the box, on a scale never seen before in human history. Creativity and spiritual strength will be pretty big, I guess.

And the sooner you can forget the comforts of modern life , and not try to replace it with crappy substitutes, the better off you will be.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
jars of salt..for cooking/perserving food and killing infections...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

I have quite a few packs of tobacco and lots of rolling papers, a few spare fire starting kits etc.

Things that people will NEED to trade with you for, that are easily transportable and that can be broken into smaller units.

Yep, I've said it before, and again...cigarettes are a fantastic trade item. They are light, easily divisible, and addicts will make very uneven trades for them. All of the best qualities you want in a currency. (especially since I don't smoke, so worthless to me myself...and I'm perfectly willing to trade).

As for skills, the ability to hunt, fish, and forage are very undeveloped by most. Even those of us who enjoy camping still take a lot of food with us into the woods. I can fish ok, and clean it, and I can hunt ok...but I don't have a lot of practice at butchering meat, cleaning a kill, etc. Also, the ability to recognize edible plants is a skill most of us simply don't have.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Trying to figure out some useful thing I carry.

One is a pr of folding tote bags from REI. I have my pack and then an upgraded water bottle and butt pack set that snaps around my pack. If I need to camo up the pack for a while in the smaller pack are the tote bags. This allows me to collect good sized quantities of mushrooms and other food stuffs when the are found in abundance.I also keep a dozen gal zip locks in that pack. For food collection.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I also carry the means to make CS in my survival gear (silver wire and a battery) but I don't use it regularly to prevent any diseases. It is probably the best thing that we will have to treat existing conditions if/when we lose the ability to make conventional antibiotics. However, it must be noted here that continuous ingestion of silver for disease prevention can be very dangerous.

Continued exposure to silver compounds can result in severe complications, which can include fatty degeneration of the major organs, thrombocytopenia, persistent bronchitis, loss of coordination and visual impairment at night. Should these symptoms and the blue skin tone be ignored, silver toxicity can develop, resulting in grand mal seizures, and the paralysis of the respiratory system, which is fatal.

LINK

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Listerine or the equivalent.

A toothache will make your entire body hurt! Using an oral disinfectant regularly is always a good thing to help prevent decay and abcesses.
Plus, Listerine can always be used on a wound anywhere on the body to stave off infection.

I wonder if there is a way to make an oral disinfectant with resources out in the wilderness?
I ask that because, before you know it that bottle of Listerine could be gone. hmmm.....

Very true. We have organized our survival party to have a chemist. Obviously many items will not be available but in the event certain compounds can't be obtained his knowledge of local plant life is very good and his ability to adapt is better. We may not have our own physician, but most people are pretty good at self diagnosis, some better than others. A good list or book of local plants with medicinal or survival qualities should be a must have as nature will provide disinfectants, numbing agents, cleaning agents, foods, building materials and weapons if you know where to look.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I just wanted to mention this. For a few reasons, everyone planning to leave in an emergency - especially if you plan on carrying supplies of just being on foot- bring a bronco dilator like primetine mist or along those lines.( I didnt want to advertise for them personally so i spelled it wrong you can google it)

I guarantee that will be more physical work than most people are accustomed to and more than some will be able to handle. This will help those extend their abilities both physically and emotionally because they will think it is helping.

Personal disclosure: I realized on my last trip that not only will i have to carry the majority of the gear and supplies for four persons, i also have to carry my littlest more than 25% of the time. We tried a 5 mile one way trip with me getting the gear and her getting the kid and we only made 2/3 of the trip so we didnt lose light. We both would have been better of with it. I do this somewhat often.

Also as a ex smoker of 25 years i can assure you when the life is on the line and its a daily struggle, not many are going to be really worried about cigarettes. You wont trade something you need for something that will slow you down if speed is important, or give away your position if you have to hunker down.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
You have every single item of survival gear you could possibly want. Eye protectors, anti sceptic mouth wash, knee pads, folding shovel, 7 million rounds of ammunition, Kevlar underwear etc...

You have so much kit packed into your BOB that when you stand up your legs give way and you are crushed to death by the weight of your bag... I bet you didn’t think of that

No seriously, I sometimes think that people can get a little bit obsessive about the latest’s bit of kit and what type of multi tool they carry.

If you look at the greatest survivors on the planet (aboriginal/tribes people) their most valuable pieces of kit are the knowledge they carry in their head and the environment around them.

Peace

edit on 27-7-2011 by Muckster because: spelling

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Baking soda. You can wash anything with a small amount diluted in water. I currently use a diluted amount to wash my hair. I follow it with a diluted vinegar rinse. In addition to cleaning with it, I also throw it in the catbox when the cat decides not to bury.

In a survival situation baking soda can be used to clean dishes, clothes, wash yourself, cover a scent..etc...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
There are some very good suggestions here but I've only seen one person suggest what I am thinking and they only mentioned one type...

Seeds. Organic, unmodified, sustainable seeds. You can buy 164,000 seeds of 34 different fruit/vegetable varieties for ~250 bucks and they weigh just 5.6 lbs. Some of the seeds will be harvest-able within 30 days. Not only will they feed you, but they will be a lightweight compact and perpetually useful currency for every single man woman and child on the planet. I can think of no more practical a currency than seeds. Someone commented that those trying to stay alive won't care much about cigarettes. I agree. But I would gladly give up my chairs, bed, window curtains, desk, etc....for seeds. Properly stored the seeds are guaranteed to last 7-8 years and produce optimum yields. In real world terms you can expect good yields for 15 years from these seeds. The best part? After you harvest you can collect the new seeds for the next harvest!

www.non-hybrid-seeds.com...

No I don't work for these people. I just see the value in seeds.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
i have some stuff i bet you don't think about check this.

The birth of a universe, a big explosion, stars and planets and things not yet discovered to science fly out of the center growing and going on outwards. The stars and planets grow on their own without any need for addition of materials or fluids, this is called growing by the power of creation. Beings are made of the same materials as planets and stars. If within those materials that make up the planets and stars the power exists to grow without the need for addition of other materials or fluids then also within us that same power exists and we have the ability to grow without need of anything.

For every force in existence there is an equal and opposite force. All beings are life-forces meaning for each life-force there is an equal and opposite life-force.

Every family line begins with two perfectly opposite and equal beings, a boy and a girl. They are the heads of the family for they are the first generation of the family. Being that they are the first in the family line they have no parents. The fact they have no parents proves the thoughts upon growing without addition of materials or fluids(eating or drinking) for how do they come to be born. They are birthed spontaneous like the big explosion of the birth of a universe and grow exactly the same as the planets and stars, growing by the power of creation.

There are infinite number of generations to each family. No matter witch generation you pick there is always another generation after it, for that generation you pick has children. The lines of generations don't stop anywhere, there is not some generation that can't have children and then that is the end of the story, the generations go on forever never ending.

All beings have existed forever, time didn't begin it always existed. Life is good not evil. With infinite number of children to each family line, it would be evil if they had to wait being dead until their parents generation is born for them to come into life. Being that life is good they are all alive right now and don't have to be dead they get to live in like a prebirth universe that is safe for baby’s to be on their own in and live many lives before they gain another body and are born in the birth universe.

Each generation is alive right now and each is smaller then the one before it. Just as your sperm are smaller then you, their babys are smaller then them and so on. The levels of smallness go on infinitley as there are infinite number of generations and the majority of the generations are smaller then the atom. This tells you scientists really don't know what they are talking about and haven't really discovered squat.

Soul is a source of light. Each soul is different and if soul is light then we can replace the word soul in a sentence with light. “Each being is a different soul” translated: “Each being is a different light”. So if each being is a different light think on some lights we know, there is blue light, pink light, yellow light white light. Well that certainly doesn't account for all of us that is only four different lights, what is going on then?....I will explain.

Each being is a different light, lights are different colours, each being has their own colors since they are different light then others. When we are first born we see only in our own colours, our opposites and our childrens. Each of us sees our own colours but sees the same number of colours as everyone else that way we can translate an image from anothers light scale to our own. We live seeing translated images from others light scales.

Each being is infinitely unique, unique cells, unique colours, unique energy. Lights comes in colours, each coloured light is a different type of energy then another type of coloured light. Light is apart of matter, light is energy, energy is matter, unique light means unique energy, unique energy means unique matter meaning we are all are own unique types of matter even tho we see others as our own light colours and matters.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
CONDOMS!! lots and lots of CONDOMS!!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Survival Kit

1 pair of thick gloves
1 compass
1 Swiss Army knife

1 pair of steril rubber gloves

tweezers

irrigation syringe
triple antibiotic cream

Israeli military pressure clip non-stick bandages
butterfly closure bandages
assorted band-aids

burn Aloe Vera Lidocaine cream
burn moleskin bandage

SAM finger splint
SAM limb splint

eye wash

pain Asprin pills
swelling Ibuprofen pills
antacid pills
antihistamine pills

snake insect venom extractor pump

breath of life mouth guard

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Actually a modified Carbon Kevlar Motorsports Helmet works really well, Bell Pro4

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

There are so many survivalist that pride themselves with their knowledge, abilities and skills but it can be that ONE thing that you didnt think of that could have you or your family pushing up daisies.

So the question is, what is the one thing that you believe not too many people have thought of to put in their B.O.B. or the one skill you think everyone has been overlooking? And why is that your
"I bet you didnt think about that" item?

For me: My one little thing is, SAFTEY GLASSES!

What made me think about this, was the other day I was watching one of the million survial shows that are on nowadays (I forget which one), and the guy was running through a woodland area, when out of no where the end of a small tree branch caught him in the face. I was thinking WOW! if that branch would have been alittle to the left it would have jabbed straight through his eye!

So lets hear it.
Dont hoard your wisdom, we are all here to learn and become better.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

My brother was at work yesterday and found out that the night before a couple employees at Ashley furniture in Ecru, Mississippi had got into a fight over one of their old ladies because one of them had been caught sleeping with the others old lady. When the one who had been cheated on arrived at work he proceeded to smash all of the windows of the others car. When he arrived inside of the plant he the man and a fight ensued. During the course of the fight the one who had been cheated on picked up cart puller ( a long metal hooked rod with a handle that is used to pull extra carts that the cart machine cannot transport) He raised the hooked object in the air and in the process of doing so the object jammed in his eye. Upon going forward with the object he proceeded to yank his eyeball out along with it. The Ashley furniture on site nurse picked the eyeball up off of the ground and put in on ice in hopes that the eye could be repaired, however we all know that that is not possible. Kind of sucks that you get cheated on by your wife told that she wanted a divorce and get your eyeball ripped out all in a 24 hour time period. He should have been doing what company policy dictates, that all employees and guest to the factory must be wearing safety glasses at all times.

I bet he didn't think about that.
edit on 27-7-2011 by reptiliannogmar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I bet we did think about it.
Discussed it, too.
Eye Protection in your B.O.B
Eye Wear
The eyes have it

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
A lot of people think they will be able to survive in the wilderness.

The truth is they won't.

I would take a book to read so I did not get bored though.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I bet we did think about it.
Discussed it, too.
Eye Protection in your B.O.B
Eye Wear
The eyes have it

I was refeering to the guy in the story my brother had told me about.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
A lot of people think they will be able to survive in the wilderness.

The truth is they won't.

I would take a book to read so I did not get bored though.

I would survive fine in the wilderness. Being taught my my grandfather about everything that has to do with the outdoors I learned M-traps for fish and how to catch large schools of fish with nothing but an extremely large rope made out of sapling tree bark. Hunting not only with rifles but traps as well. My beagles and I are extremely efficient at coon hunting, having won 3 out of 9 competitions. Also my Grandmother taught Logic courses nation wide. To end this post I also know how to build shelters and start fires with a number of different chemicals that is in my camping and survival kit. But really survival only takes logic and commitment. I would never starve and have spent more than 2 weeks in the woods living off the land. However most, as you said could not survive.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I completely agree with this post. Just last night my fiance and I were talking about what we needed to add to our survival gear. We have sooo much stuff, a lot of it will be left behind if we have to actually use our BOBs. I suggest things, and come to find out he bought it last week or something. So, since the fiance is the one that generally likes to buy a lot of it (and doesn't tell me what he bought until I happen to notice as I'm going through the bins), I suggested a simple lined inventory list of each bin in case he is unable to get to them and I need to find something fast, or one of his kids needs to find something. His response was "We don't need a list because you should be familiarizing yourself with the gear at least once a week". Umm... ok... but he has a 10 yr old son who has never even seen inside these bins. And during an emergency... ANY emergency at home even... if I need to find something under stress, and have 4+ large bins to sort through.... I'd rather know not to dig to the bottom of the top bin when, oops - forgot we moved it to the bottom bin. But noooo he is mister survivalist, and knows everything. No matter the suggestions I give him, he won't listen to me. So, THANK YOU for this suggestion. Luckily I already have glasses (though they are ballistic lenses) included because my BOB also includes firearms. And just because you use safety glasses when you go to a range, doesn't mean they won't be useful to have outside too.
edit on 27-7-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join