It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bet you didnt think about THAT!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Two things you can't wild-harvest: 1: a spark lighter (such as welders use, because it's a whole lot easier than banging flints or using wood friction and 2: a Mylar emergency blanket. Now if you can't get to these in time or lose them; you better have your skilz...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Also, when looking to stock up on meds, consider the pet store. I know it sounds nuts, but the fact is that one can buy all sorts of animal meds that are the exact same thing a person has to get a prescription for and then fill at the pharmacy. I personally have found myself in a jam and taken antibiotics that were intended for birds (doxycycline), and they cleared up my sinus infection just fine. Of course, you would want to look up dosages for humans online and write that info on each box of meds for future reference. You can also purchase anti-fungal meds for fish and they will treat thrush and other yeast infections. One other thing you may want to get at the fish store is a bottle of stuff called Melafix. It's used as a sort of cure-all for fish. What is actually in the bottle? Tea tree oil.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante

Also, when looking to stock up on meds, consider the pet store. I know it sounds nuts, but the fact is that one can buy all sorts of animal meds that are the exact same thing a person has to get a prescription for and then fill at the pharmacy. I personally have found myself in a jam and taken antibiotics that were intended for birds (doxycycline), and they cleared up my sinus infection just fine. Of course, you would want to look up dosages for humans online and write that info on each box of meds for future reference. You can also purchase anti-fungal meds for fish and they will treat thrush and other yeast infections. One other thing you may want to get at the fish store is a bottle of stuff called Melafix. It's used as a sort of cure-all for fish. What is actually in the bottle? Tea tree oil.

LOL!! Too true! My dog was ill and was taking meds Id only seen humans prescribed.
Many places they still need an RX from a vet though. Used to when I was a kid, we could go to the local co-op and buy meds for the animals, not so these days
I think when idiots started using ketamine to get high they clamped down on the animal meds being sold OTC.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

Originally posted by Afterthought
Listerine or the equivalent.

A toothache will make your entire body hurt! Using an oral disinfectant regularly is always a good thing to help prevent decay and abcesses.
Plus, Listerine can always be used on a wound anywhere on the body to stave off infection.

Don't use Listerine please it's a straight road to Cancer of the Mouth with that stuff believe me. (that's from a Dentist Friend)

Colloidal Silver will be the most valuable thing you could carry not only for bacterial and viral infections but for sterilizing water too.

Check it out and don't listen to the scare stories - there is only one true one and that's about a person that turned blue but they fail to tell you that he was drinking a half bottle per day and by the way states 'he's never felt so well' so make your own mind up.

I have checked the evidence and use it daily for brushing my teeth (no fluoride poison for me) and swallow 20mls daily - never catch a thing. Proven stuff!!!!

My Dog cost MEGA BUCKS for Ear infections over a long period of time - Sprayed the CS into her ears and problem was solved - never to return. I spray her ears and eyes once a month just to be sure. It works the same in humans too - sore throats/ear infections/infected wounds/ etc etc etc read up on it.

This is the first I'm hearing about Listerine causing mouth cancer. I take 5000iu of D3/day. I've heard of Colloidal Silver, but I've never tried it. I just got over a four day bout with the flu and I haven't had the flu since 8th grade. You say that you take the C. Silver daily, but how do you keep the good bacteria growing in your system? Do you take the C. Silver in the morning, then eat probiotic yogurt in the evening? I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but you have me quite curious and I'm sure that most people should also consider the fact that you must have a way of restoring the good bacteria in your system once you've taken an antibiotic. This would be an essential when living in the wild.

Glad to hear it helps your dog's ears. I have to clean my dog's ears every week to two weeks and I've found that Witch Hazel works great!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Any thing that is battery powered like a radio or light is going to need batteries. Rechargeable batteries are great but just where do you find an outlet in the middle of the woods. A solar powered battery charger would be a nice way to go.
edit on 7/26/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

for a cheap fix you can get those solar yard lights for a few dollars each; they have AA batteries in them. you can use them to charge 1 btty at a time. I have radios, scanners and flashlights using AA.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Originally posted by fixer1967
Any thing that is battery powered like a radio or light is going to need batteries. Rechargeable batteries are great but just where do you find an outlet in the middle of the woods. A solar powered battery charger would be a nice way to go.
edit on 7/26/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

for a cheap fix you can get those solar yard lights for a few dollars each; they have AA batteries in them. you can use them to charge 1 btty at a time. I have radios, scanners and flashlights using AA.

If you have a hand-crank radio or flashlight check to see if the batteries are removable. You can use the device to charge other rechargeable batteries via the hand-crank. I have standardized all the electronics I take along hiking and/or camping to use AA batteries for convenience and just such ease of charging, if necessary.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have started taking lint from my drier and packing in sandwich bags, makes for great kindling. Just twist it, takes up small amount of space.

For trade I been picking up extra coffee, we do not drink coffee in my home.

For water storage, remember you have anywhere from 40-80gallons in your water heater, and any leftover in your pipes. Just cut them at their lowest point.

Also grabbed a few pulleys, never know if you have to move something/someone up an incline.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NonC0nf0rmist

I have started taking lint from my drier and packing in sandwich bags, makes for great kindling. Just twist it, takes up small amount of space.

Yeah, I have done the same. The look on my wifes face when she saw me digging lint out of the trash was hilarious. She took it out of my hand and looked at me with just one raised eyebrow.

once I explained it to her, she smiled and said" Damn! why didnt I think about that"

So yes dryer lint lightly coated in vasoline is great fire kindling

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
~Jamjar~

Yeah, I also had a thought along those lines.
have a carton of cigs with you,not all in the same compartment for safety reasons, (if you know what I mean) for trading. As a smoker I know what it feels like and how you will do damn near anything to satisfy that craving.

Its like" oh you want a pack of ciggarettes? Well I want that 55gal drum of fuel you have."

edit on 26-7-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

Yeah, and thats when I say "ok deal" and plug you a couple times. Then ride off in the sunset with your wife, your cigs, and your 55 gal drum.

No offense, I mean no harm. Just sayin....I have done my due dilligence, and a lot of my friends always say "wow, well I know where to come if SHTF!!!"

I always calmly tell them, "Yes of course you're invited! Just make sure you bring all your valuables, and useable items. We'll make trades. I'll give you a bullet to the back of your head, and you'll give me all your stuff. Oh, thats after I have you run down to the beach and use bring back drums of water for you to pump through my salt/sand filter..."

If indeed The proverbial SHTF, things may seem neighborly at first, but when panic sets in things will get harry pretty quick. I highly recommend watching "The Road"

And one important item I would suggest that people often dont think about: A pocket book identifying all edible plants

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Yeah, and thats when I say "ok deal" and plug you a couple times. Then ride off in the sunset with your wife, your cigs, and your 55 gal drum.

See, thats the mentality that will get YOU killed.
No doubt there will be neanderthals that would rather kill than work for what they have but Im not to worried about them. My Bug out local is already set-up for little picks that think that they can just kill their way through survival.

If you can see me, then my security team can see you. And I am willing to bet my life that they're a better shot than the wana be survivalist that comes on to my spot thinking that they're gonna threatin me out of my supplies and well being.

Remember the eyes of Texas are upon you

edit on 27-7-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sorry if posted. Haven't read all posts yet.
I'd enjoy these:
Wiley-X SG-1 ... Jack O'Neill anyone?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04edc85f293a.jpg[/atsimg]

check review Youtube rewiew

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

This will sound crazy, but my mother's dog was prescribed Prozac by the vet.

Back on topic, yes, they have tightened up about selling horse tranquilizers and such without an rx. But I can walk into my local pet store right now and buy a HUGE bottle of doxycycline, tetracycline or amoxicillan for less than I would pay with insurance and a rx at the local pharmacy. And the fish anti-fungal stuff is cheap too.

As for any serious pain meds, I have a big bag of poppy seeds that I could use to make tea if I had to do so. And I suppose they could double as food, if push came to shove...?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante

As for any serious pain meds, I have a big bag of poppy seeds that I could use to make tea if I had to do so. And I suppose they could double as food, if push came to shove...?

Drinking poppy seed tea can be toxic and deadly.

Here's a website discussing this:
poppyseedtea.com...

From website:

This site is dedicated to the memory of our beloved late son, who died at the age of 17 from an overdose of poppy seed tea.

edit on 27-7-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans

Good thread.

Mine is related to yours.

I wear contacts, I'm blind w/o them... doesn't matter how great my B.O.B and skills etc. etc. are, if I can only see a foot in front of me I'm in deep doo-doo.

Contacts and glasses aren't very durable.

My suggestion (rather than stockpiling spare contacts and glasses) is to get laser surgery... eyes that work.

You are a wise person. I had my eyes done. Not just laser...but, complete lens replacement. Left eye is for close vision, R for far. Yes, artificial ,prescription , permanent replacement lenses. Robo eyes you might say.

I still have a supply of nonprescription reading glasses...for barter if needed.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan

I wonder if there is a way to make an oral disinfectant with resources out in the wilderness?
I ask that because, before you know it that bottle of Listerine could be gone. hmmm.....

Acorus Calamus

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Yes, it can kill you if you drink too much or make it too strong. Too much of just about anything can kill a person. The key with all herbal medicine, IMHO, is to start with the smallest dosage possible and work up from there until the desired results are accomplished.

Moderation is key.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

remember certain detergents can leave a shimmer visable when viewed through nvg or equivalent sights,dont hunt but believe that deers and some other animals can see it too

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

That is super sad. Sure dampened my childhood memories of The Poppyseed Cakes story.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I don't usually visit this part of the forum but find this interesting anyway. I would say a few fishing hooks along with lots of fishing line which would also come in handy. Even in urban enviromements you will find fish in ponds etc. Alos maybe people will overlook basic tools like screw drivers etc.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
I don't usually visit this part of the forum but find this interesting anyway. I would say a few fishing hooks along with lots of fishing line which would also come in handy. Even in urban enviromements you will find fish in ponds etc. Alos maybe people will overlook basic tools like screw drivers etc.

Yeah fishing hooks and line are nice, aswell as versitile. but incredably difficult to land a fish with just your hands on a line.
What I keep in my BOB are a few yoyo fishing reels
Found here: YO-YO fishing reels

I also have a nice multi bit screw driver
found here: Multi-bit auto loading screwdriver

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join