It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bet you didnt think about THAT!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Tannic acid boiled out of oak leaves and concentrated down can be used to flush out cuts as a disinfectant. Witchhazel twigs can be chewed on for a toothbrush. An antiseptic wash can be made from crushed and steeped pine needles if you can't make soap

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Advantage

This is a great thread by Jude11 about Feminine Hygiene in the wilderness. Later into the first video, the woman shows how women can use these plastic cones instead of tampons. It's pretty interesting.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess in the event of not having TP, one can always make some soapy water with the yucca root and wash that stank off.

Whew, wow. Hey thanks for the visual! Not really..

edit on 26-7-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It just so happens I DO have safety goggles in my B.O.B. - in the form of ski goggles.

And I have to echo those who have said that the most important items to have for trade are not precious metals. Coffee, alcohol, tobacco, sugar, salt, and pepper can be very valuable for life after TEOTWAWKI. You just can't eat bullion.

One of these days I'll go through it, lay it out, and take video of the items in my B.O.B. I like to think that my family could survive indefinitely with the things we have laid up for when the SHTF.

ETA: S&F
edit on 7/26/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Wool in small cloth parcels, wash then boil wash to disinfect.

Those seed mentioned have lots of good uses as the fibres in the stems once separated can be woven into clothing and rope.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Super glue.

Use it to cover cuts and blisters. It was invented for that purpose, for combat wounds to prevent infection.

I once used it to glue my face back together after I dropped a saws all on myself. It left a pretty good gash about an inch and a half long, and deep enough I could feel it in my mouth...almost went all the way through.

It stings like a MF, but I hardly even have a scar at all.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

well if i could think of that thing i couldnt think of the time i wouldnt know til then.

fact is not matter how much stuff we put in a bag we will never know til whatever circumstance for the need arises.

everyone is different which has different needs nobody can plan and have the available item for every circumstance.

so i say its not something you can buy and put in a bag

its the knowledge you can put in your head that cant ever be lost or ever need to be replaced.

the best kit for any survialist is experience and his knowledge so people get to reading the more you know the better off you will be.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

well if i could think of that thing i couldnt think of the time i wouldnt know til then.

fact is not matter how much stuff we put in a bag we will never know til whatever circumstance for the need arises.

everyone is different which has different needs nobody can plan and have the available item for every circumstance.

its the knowledge you can put in your head that cant ever be lost or ever need to be replaced.

the best kit for any survialist is experience and his knowledge so people get to reading the more you know the better off you will be.

Exactly what you said is the reason I made this thread

Some people have thought of certain things that most would not, heirgo reason for this thread.

Do you have anything to add, sir?
No?.... ohwell, good day.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

It just so happens I DO have safety goggles in my B.O.B. - in the form of ski goggles.

I thought about ski goggles but I sweat like a whore in church, so the ski goggles arnt an option for me. but good thinkin.
Star for you sir.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I would say the skill of being one with nature
look around and see what is useful
watch the animals
they'll show you what you can use

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Any thing that is battery powered like a radio or light is going to need batteries. Rechargeable batteries are great but just where do you find an outlet in the middle of the woods. A solar powered battery charger would be a nice way to go.
edit on 7/26/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Safety Glasses are not in my kit. I have them everywhere but there. However, I do have dust masks and kevlar reinforced work gloves at the ready. Don't forget the emergency tooth repair kit as well. Cheap and effective in the event that you crack a tooth or lose a filling. Just tuck it in the first aid pouch.

Thanks for the simple heads up.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
the ONE thing EVERYONE forgets is SKILLS

having supplies to trade is one thing but to be able to MAKE THINGS makes one's self a valuable commodity. supplies WILL run out expetise in one or more areas won't. the ability to DO is the ONE thing that will be needed. how many people can replace a worn out knife? make arrows and bows? guns are good, but can you MAKE gunpowder? can you produce clothing from plant or animal material? can you HEAL people? can you stitch up that bad wound before someone bleeds out, or adversely do you know how to cauterize a wound? are you able to help keep a group from being torn apart by infighting? can you build shelter? can you grow food or hunt? many will pay the ultimate price for lack of KNOWLEDGE. supplies WILL run out, knowledge and skills will ONLY CONTINUE TO GROW. being able to think OUTSIDE the box will also be rather handy, there is typically more then one way to achieve a goal.

the ability to CREATE needed things from scratch will be what keeps groups of people alive.

BOOKS can be important. jungle first aid, plant identification, how to this and that can also be very important to have to cover things you might not know.

seeds and stuff esp for medical and food/spices type plants is good flour, salt, sugar and water, are probably the top staples needed. (ps anyone know where in a city you can find WHEAT seeds? they seem to be rather hard to find). sugar can get from bees (honey) and can also get from some plants. salt will be a critical issue for many since you need a source for it. can make it chemically as well but then again you need the right chemicals available.

tp-(toilet paper)VERY GOOD TRADE item
there is always leaves or even rags (just be sure to wash), but do you KNOW what poison ivy looks like? it sounds stupid but i know a couple girls, who had supposedly passed things like plant identification that made an oopsi and wiped with poison ivy. this in the middle of nowhere and they used precious medical supplies, that could NOT BE REPLACED.

tobacco is good IF you don't smoke, i'd have to be REALLY DESPERATE to part with tobacco KNOWING that i can't resupply.

safety glasses not really in my book, they have NEVER stopped ANYTHING really from going into MY eyes. battery acid,and hot slag, among other things. matches and lighters while very nice to have AREN'T necessary if you can make a fire without.

gas again will become pretty useless after awhile. once you get where you are going cars will not be needed just a luxury. power generators will be nice only so long as the have gas and don't break down. want electricity for lights and radios? why not take the alternator out of your vehicle or generator and use water or wind power, even muscle power to create electricity, yeah they will break after awhile but i bet it will be rather easy to find replacements, and parts.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

the seeds of citrus fruits/ grapefruit seed extracts has antibacterial properties.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Some tobacco substitutes...

Marshmallow, red clover petals, hazel leaves, mint, peppermint, catnip, sage, lavender, thyme, chamomile flowers, coltsfoot...

Get the mix you like, dry and chop finely. About 20g of dry mix.
Mix 1 part honey and 3 parts water and drop onto the mix until damp.
Let the mix dry for a few days, stirring occasionally.
Once dry, keep in an airtight container.

Papers could be a problem though

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Pain killers..save your old perscriptions

How about Ben Gay ?

Most of us arnt used to the exertion that would be put on us..tired and sore !

If you are a smoker..get a pipe !
edit on 26-7-2011 by granpabobby because: add content

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Anti-asthma treatment...red clover petals dried and smoked

Or, dandelion roots, coltsfoot and rosemary, chopped, dried and smoked

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Bottle of white spirits a good bottle of scotch. Currency, Greases palms makes friends out of foes. It can be used to disinfect injury. Run a small engine. Light a fire. Bait.
Alcohol can purchase travel is universally recognized in sealed form as a form of barter. It can even temporarily be used to sustain energy.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yes, a good herbal medicine book with pics

goggles that will fit over glasses, trade items in whole, like peppercorns and large sea salt crystals instead of refined ground products.

rock sugar.

depending where you are, clothing can be a real pain. let's forget about white after labor day and go to 2 seasons.

summer and winter.

come to think of it, if i don't have a safe haven stocked, i will make a stand.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I won't be needing any safety glasses and I won't be running into any snapping branches or twigs. I have consumer friendly products by a company called Monsanto, their wonderful agent orange mixture will clear a large clear path for me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join