It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bet you didnt think about THAT!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There are so many survivalist that pride themselves with their knowledge, abilities and skills but it can be that ONE thing that you didnt think of that could have you or your family pushing up daisies.

So the question is, what is the one thing that you believe not too many people have thought of to put in their B.O.B. or the one skill you think everyone has been overlooking? And why is that your
"I bet you didnt think about that" item?

For me: My one little thing is, SAFTEY GLASSES!

What made me think about this, was the other day I was watching one of the million survial shows that are on nowadays (I forget which one), and the guy was running through a woodland area, when out of no where the end of a small tree branch caught him in the face. I was thinking WOW! if that branch would have been alittle to the left it would have jabbed straight through his eye!

So lets hear it.
Dont hoard your wisdom, we are all here to learn and become better.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
TP!!!
2nd

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Good thread.

Mine is related to yours.

I wear contacts, I'm blind w/o them... doesn't matter how great my B.O.B and skills etc. etc. are, if I can only see a foot in front of me I'm in deep doo-doo.

Contacts and glasses aren't very durable.

My suggestion (rather than stockpiling spare contacts and glasses) is to get laser surgery... eyes that work.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Everyone thinks of gold as a trade able item, when in fact its going to be just a chunk of heavy metal when/if SHTF.

I have quite a few packs of tobacco and lots of rolling papers, a few spare fire starting kits etc.

Things that people will NEED to trade with you for, that are easily transportable and that can be broken into smaller units.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamjar
Everyone thinks of gold as a trade able item, when in fact its going to be just a chunk of heavy metal when/if SHTF.

I have quite a few packs of tobacco and lots of rolling papers, a few spare fire starting kits etc.

Things that people will NEED to trade with you for, that are easily transportable and that can be broken into smaller units.

A true hustler, you would do good in the "hood"

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
~Jamjar~

Yeah, I also had a thought along those lines.
have a carton of cigs with you,not all in the same compartment for safety reasons, (if you know what I mean) for trading. As a smoker I know what it feels like and how you will do damn near anything to satisfy that craving.

Its like" oh you want a pack of ciggarettes? Well I want that 55gal drum of fuel you have."

edit on 26-7-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good call...I've had dead Japanese Knotweed in the eye...couldn't see out of it for a week 'cos of the swelling. Polarised sunglasses to see if the fishing spot is any good, and a nail brush to scrub tubers/roots with

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Listerine or the equivalent.

A toothache will make your entire body hurt! Using an oral disinfectant regularly is always a good thing to help prevent decay and abcesses.
Plus, Listerine can always be used on a wound anywhere on the body to stave off infection.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You make a good overall point: any minor injury in todays world in the world of survival is a big deal. A small cut will kill you in some situations. Diabetics, HTN, vascular disease things we treat routinely now......will kill masses in the event of a disaster. Diabetics will get massive infections w/o insulin, have heart attacks. HTN pts will get renal failure second to this...and die eventually of that or heart attacks or lack of circulation and lose limbs..........the real thing in survival is staying healthy...........so protect your feet, your eyes, you body in general........frostbite in survival will kill you.

just a few thoughts from a medical person. :-)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Listerine or the equivalent.

A toothache will make your entire body hurt! Using an oral disinfectant regularly is always a good thing to help prevent decay and abcesses.
Plus, Listerine can always be used on a wound anywhere on the body to stave off infection.

I wonder if there is a way to make an oral disinfectant with resources out in the wilderness?
I ask that because, before you know it that bottle of Listerine could be gone. hmmm.....

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
TP!!!
2nd

When the SHTF I get the feeling no-one is going to have enough TP. All the women will go crazy, cat-fights on every corner...this is what will start the SHTF 2! Start saving all your napkins etc, this could get ugly!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
hi op
i rarely wash my army jacket
the girlfriend calls me a tramp and why dont u wash it
i reply
imagine im hiding in a thick bush in the woods evading capture
when a soldier walks past and his nose sniffs the air
and he smells
bloody DAZ washing powder lol
game up for me lol

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
asprin, old remedy for toothache, let it dissolve on tooth,, ache will vanish. Better than all other pain killers!

Lighter, flints and fuel. With those, I can keep warm, cook food, make soap, make a weapon,

Yeast, for bread, cakes, etc but most of all for beer! One of the few things I don't know how to find in the wild. We will need a few treats if we end up as cavemen :-)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

The only plant I can think of that would work as a disinfectant is a shrub called Witch Hazel. I'm sure most people are familiar with it. It grows in the northeast US, but I'm not sure what other plants might do the same thing that grow elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

TP!!!
2nd

When the SHTF I get the feeling no-one is going to have enough TP. All the women will go crazy, cat-fights on every corner...this is what will start the SHTF 2! Start saving all your napkins etc, this could get ugly!

I wonder if anyone has some ideas for making actual useable TP in the wilderness.
Because they're right. No TP is gonna be a HUGE issue.

And I dont mean sewing abunch of leaves end to end.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

TP!!!
2nd

LMAO!! Youre not too far off from reality. TP and tampons. If you stock up on those you could rule troops of women zombie killing soldiers.. or a harem for post apocalyptic pimpin'.. or an all female food scavenging troupe while you sit back and dole out TP by the 1-ply square.

Pity the husband.. he has me.. and *3* daughters.. who happen to go through an incredible amount of toilet paper a week.

My secret super survival item? I hoard twist ties.
I mean I have a box full. LOL! Youd be shocked at how damned useful those things can be!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by eccentriclady
asprin, old remedy for toothache, let it dissolve on tooth,, ache will vanish. Better than all other pain killers!

Lighter, flints and fuel. With those, I can keep warm, cook food, make soap, make a weapon,

Yeast, for bread, cakes, etc but most of all for beer! One of the few things I don't know how to find in the wild. We will need a few treats if we end up as cavemen :-)

You know that whitish film on dark berries? Supposedly that is YEAST! Who knew. You can find it in the wild mostly on juniper berries. Just read that and now I am excited because I always wondered the same thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

This is a great thread by Jude11 about Feminine Hygiene in the wilderness. Later into the first video, the woman shows how women can use these plastic cones instead of tampons. It's pretty interesting.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess in the event of not having TP, one can always make some soapy water with the yucca root and wash that stank off.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join