It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Plans for Human Animal Genetic Hybrids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Truely awesome (and potentially unnerving) news.

Seems we are finally on the road to making humanlike animals for a variety of reasons

Britain is planning for a future present when human and animal genes are mixed. As scientists continue to use human genes implanted in animals to create new medicines and understand our biology, it seems increasingly likely that we’ll blur the genetic distinctions between man and beast. The UK wants to be ready. After polling citizens and researchers alike, the British Academy of Medical Sciences released a report detailing how they believed the nation should handle all future blending of human and animal genes: very carefully. They recommend that research involving “Animals Containing Human Materials” (ACHM) should be overseen by a regulatory body, it should be categorized according to the degree in which human genes are used, and Britain should try to influence other nations to do the same.

Source

They are basically starting under the presumption that a hybrid will allow for easily transplantable organs and other such stuff. The issue is that cloning has a lot of restrictions when it comes to humans, however, to make a sort of halfbreed pig is fair game...
The public also seems interested in this:

In the creation of the report from the the British Academy of Medical Sciences, they interviewed more than a thousand UK citizens in multi-day discussions on the nature of transgenic science. Overall, attitudes towards ACHM were positive when portrayed as helping to create new medicines or to cure genetic diseases. In fact, the opposition towards this research could largely be attributed to three areas of concern. People were uncomfortable with scientists:
1) modifying animal brains to be more human,
2) creating human embryos inside animals, and
3) changing animals to have more human-like appearances and/or behaviors.

I would have put a 4th in there however, which is the closer linking to allow viruses to mutate from say bovine or swine to human with ease if we start housing halfbreed organs..still, the benefits may outweigh the risks.

Now, I look 50 years into the future and see a hot market for organs being as cheap as a ham...ruined your liver? no worries, your new liver is being raised in a pigman as we speak.

So yeah...well done UK...at least one country in the west is thinking progressively...won't be all about japan and china's innovation in the future...

And to the Americans whom suggest we shouldn't do this based on ethical concerns...seriously, are you wanting us to go back to the stone age while the rest of the world blows by our once proud record of being cutting edge science?

Just for fun: a pic to get the minds stirring:

edit on 26-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: Added a fun pic

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

ehh this is all well and fine, except you know Adrian Brody will sleep with it first chance he gets. and that will raise other concerns, like some Brody hybrids running around.

Now, perhaps this will be cutting edge, but what about synthetic organs? what if you could take the incubation period out of the equation? or insert any blood type you need so that recipient's body wont reject the organ. that would be cutting edge to me

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Hi...Im an American. No i dont think you should live in the stone age. However the idea to blend human dna with animal dna to create new species for possible organ harvesting is absolutely idiotic and cruel. Why go out and trash your liver to knowingly take an organ from who knows what kind of being to replace your liver you were too idiotic to keep healthy? That idea is appalling and ridiculous. There are other scientific methods of organ growth that do not depend on killing some genetically modified freak animal person hybrid. This is mad science at its finest. What is there to be so proud of?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker
Now, perhaps this will be cutting edge, but what about synthetic organs? what if you could take the incubation period out of the equation? or insert any blood type you need so that recipient's body wont reject the organ. that would be cutting edge to me

I think its going to be a all the above approach in the near future...from growing organs in a lab based directly off your genetics, to having your own genetically similar pigperson on some genetics farm somewhere for a cheaper option of organ harvest.

The problem with lab organs is both the time taken, and the cost...remove one and you still got the other.
However, someone diagnosed with crappy kidneys today could have a full grown kidneys in a pig (pigneys?) at a fraction of the cost of labneys.

So, it might just be more economical to perfect this method for the short term verses wait for labs to sort out the many issues.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Victor03

Simple fact is, its not being talked about...its been greenlighted.

Now, should your lungs, liver, or kidneys decide to fail you...will you stand on principle and die, or will you be partaking in the modified animal goodness?
Again, its past the philosophical debate and is now a reality...its here...what will you do?

You have two choices...embrase the revolution in medicine (and potentially other areas), or reject it and suffer...thats it...no standing up to the man and making it go away, etc.

People fear change, especially when its stuff they haven't bothered trying to understand.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I guess we'll just have to see what happens, hopefully they do some very thorough testing, I wouldn't want to receive said organ, and find out later that my DNA has altered itself to accommodate, and that I have a piggy tail sprout out above my behind.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker

I guess we'll just have to see what happens, hopefully they do some very thorough testing, I wouldn't want to receive said organ, and find out later that my DNA has altered itself to accommodate, and that I have a piggy tail sprout out above my behind.

Thats why we should insist on these genetic developments be done on something cool, like a shark or eagle...that way should we turn into some genetic halfbreed, we can benefit from it...grow wings or gills or something.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Genetic hybrids in ancient times may have some foundation. So, man is returning to a long hidden truth by the elites who seem to control history. This is the subject of the newest book by Dr Joseph P Farrell, Genes, Giants, Monsters, and Men: The Surviving Elites of the Cosmic War and Their Hidden Agenda

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311712997&sr=1-1#_

I just finished this masterpiece and highly recommend it to all interested in this topic.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
So we will finally be able to show people that manbearpig is dangerous.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
If an animal has body parts of a human.
should not the animal have Human rights?
how human will the animal have to be
before it has rights?
If you make a clone of a human.
that has a pigs brain.
you can say it is not human!
How far must they go.
before people shout STOP!
or will you let them make a full clone.
but keep its brain in a coma.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Victor03
Hi...Im an American. No i dont think you should live in the stone age. However the idea to blend human dna with animal dna to create new species for possible organ harvesting is absolutely idiotic and cruel. ... This is mad science at its finest.
There's an HG wells novel called "The island of Dr Moreau" and three different movie versions, where basically the plot is, mad scientist creates human/animal hybrids. Needless to say, it doesn't go well in the book or the movies.

If we anticipate every possible contingency, then perhaps it's possible to produce only positive consequences with few negative consequences. However the lesson we keep learning over and over again with things like Fukushima, is that the thought we can anticipate every possible contingency is an illusion...we can't. And when we fail to do so, that's when our risk-taking will come back to bite us.

Originally posted by buddha
If an animal has body parts of a human.
should not the animal have Human rights?
That is the part that concerns me. How do you draw the line on what type of creature deserves human rights when you start blurring the distinction between man and beast?

We get complaints in the US if a "puppy mill" is too crowded, and those are pure beasts with no human rights. I'm trying to anticipate how people will react to partly human beasts getting slaughtered to use for spare body parts. They might like that even less than a crowded "puppy mill"?

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Truely awesome (and potentially unnerving) news.

Seems we are finally on the road to making humanlike animals for a variety of reasons

Britain is planning for a future present when human and animal genes are mixed. As scientists continue to use human genes implanted in animals to create new medicines and understand our biology, it seems increasingly likely that we’ll blur the genetic distinctions between man and beast.

no worries, your new liver is being raised in a pigman as we speak.
Yes it's unnerving. If we had the omniscience of God, maybe we could pull it off without any problems. But we don't. My prediction is something will go wrong, and the response will be, "don't blame us, we didn't anticipate that happening". I am blaming them already because I know they can't anticipate everything.

And to answer your question, I think it's selfish of me to kill another human, or partial human, to harvest their body parts. If I have to die because my own body parts fail, so be it.

Originally posted by 547000
So we will finally be able to show people that manbearpig is dangerous.
Well, some people still think that global warming is natural and not caused by man, maybe manbearpig will be able to convince them otherwise, since humans haven't convinced them yet!

edit on 27-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
stem cell research now please. you have seen the picture of the mouse altered to grow a human ear on its back right? the uk better pass this now, before the new planet of the apes movie comes out.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
First thing that came to mind was human centerpede the movie the second was what happens when it get out of control and the hybrid mutates

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Sounds to me like your suggesting that since we can't think of everything, then we should do nothing.

I don't accept such stagnation thinking...thats not the world I want to live in, I find sitting in a cave worried that we don't know everything so we should not venture out to be a flawed thought process.

Humanity progresses...its what we do, its what seperates us from any other animal. We gain more and more control over the environment.
Since you brought god into the equasion, then I would suggest then that god gave us domain over the earth and all things here...so voila..we are ordained by god to progress ourselves.
Feel better yet?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm fine with this. Glad that the science is finally coming along to bring something like this to the world. Although I do wonder if we will end up replacing human soldiers with a mixture of robots and genetically enhanced bipedal animals with the intelligence of man?

new topics

top topics

join