It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chain Guns mounted with death rays. I need one of these!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just wanted to give props to our always creative ways of killing people through total metal developments.

Check out this neat contraption
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b37cc0b2e0e8.jpg[/atsimg]
Source

Yesterday, the two defense contractors announced that they are jointly developing a demonstration model Mk 38 with dual capabilities. The chain gun--originally designed to be manually aimed and fired--will now be remote-controlled and use an electro-optical/IR sensor ball to detect and track incoming targets, like UAVs or small watercraft (like the one that perpetrated the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen several years ago).

But according to a BAE-Boeing announcement, “the system also provides the ability to deliver different levels of laser energy, depending on the target and mission objectives.” Danger Room tells us that the fiber laser system can pack up to 10 kilowatts of punch, far below what the U.S. military has previously considered weapons grade but nonetheless effective--just a few months ago an Office of Naval Research laser fried the engine of a small watercraft with a 15 kilowatt beam (though that was designed to be scaled up to a more impressive 100 kilowatts).

Presumably, the Mk 38’s laser package could be upgraded as well, making the death ray part of the system quite a bit deadlier. Which is good, considering that sea air--rife with moisture and particulate stuff that degrades focused laser beams--compounds the many problems inherent in laser weapons systems.

I need one of these for fishing!

Anyhow, As a sci-fi nerd, I personally welcome our rayguns mounting on ships. Its funny really, when I was a kid, one of the signs that you were in the future is when you were being shot at by lazer beams verses bullets...I think we may be seeing the slow shift to energy weapons verses old school projectiles.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Because a regular old chaingun isnt enough to stop a small watercraft or a UAV drone...

These "defense contractors" dont give a # and will gladly make bull# like this when the price is right...

You know that saying money is the root of all evil? Well...thats partially true, its also the string by which we are controlled.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
they add the laser to screw up the ship without damaging the cargo so they can steal the drugs efficiently

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Frankly, if they wanted to impress me, they would kick up the lazer power and remove the chain gun part all together...lets see some somoli pirate deal with a freaking future space lazer death ship...that might give them a pause.

Sometimes, the extra flash added is justified...intimidation is a big part of war....if you see a ship rayguning things all over the place, chances are, your going to reconsider your stance...a chaingun works great, but its not very visible in its death causation until your being shot at.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jugtalicus

Because a regular old chaingun isnt enough to stop a small watercraft or a UAV drone...

These "defense contractors" dont give a # and will gladly make bull# like this when the price is right...

You know that saying money is the root of all evil? Well...thats partially true, its also the string by which we are controlled.

I'm sure the chaingun is more than enough for those two particular threats, but what about the times your fighting a much bigger one. Or you're firing onto land at tanks or some such? Plus as the OP stated, Laser guns are much full of sweetness. The first steps may seem stupid but the destination is worth it.

And not to pick on you but the quote is that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil; Much broader implications and far more true in my opinion. Though for your statement we end and the same place.

And to you Saturn, you should put a little Nessie or Godzilla in the water at the business end of that hoaky freaking laser beam in the photo.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Chainguns with weaponized lasers?

Should be Laser Chainguns

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I am not sure why but that photo reminds me in some obscure way of the final act of Stephenson's Snow Crash.

I think they are neato, too. I would love to see one unleashed in a demo on multiple targets.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Frater210 because: Ia!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFiDgetx
And to you Saturn, you should put a little Nessie or Godzilla in the water at the business end of that hoaky freaking laser beam in the photo.

Ask and you shall recieve
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf4fa2e072da.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I always knew the US had our backs.... Disaster averted!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Uh, the laser component is most likely for advanced missile defense.

You know those "hypersonic carrier killer" missiles some here are always bragging that their country now has to deal with U.S. sea power juggernaut.

Laser could conceivably track and shoot much faster than the conventional gun.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Lol i'm not surprised.
Doesn't the border patrol have un manned boats that they patrol?
It's sort of like a boat drone.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Uh, the laser component is most likely for advanced missile defense.

You know those "hypersonic carrier killer" missiles some here are always bragging that their country now has to deal with U.S. sea power juggernaut.

Laser could conceivably track and shoot much faster than the conventional gun.

Which ones? The fast sea skimming ones? The proper defense from those is a well targeted fighter aircraft (those things that carriers have) with good radar and AA missiles.

The intermediate-range anti-sea ballistic missiles that China is making? No defense for those.

People seriously underestimate the speed of ballistic missiles, especially when they are re-entering. They are conical, very very tough---as they have to absorb intense heat from atmospheric re-entry, and they are going very very fast. Faster than you think. As in maybe going from 50,000 feet to sea-level in 3 seconds.

A ballistic missile attack is like this: hmm, look at that bright light there, what is ...BOOM.

No, a laser that size is not going to work against a ballistic missile warhead in terminal re-entry.

The problem for China is to make such things which can hit a small moving target without nuclear weapons. How is the guidance going to happen? It is very hard to look down because it is going so fast and it's so hot. Conceivably you could have some external link pointing back up which is connected to a real-time sensor and surveillance system for targeting. An aircraft could be vulnerable, so maybe it would be a satellite---and returning sufficiently good and calibrated targeting info isn't easy or cheap.

edit on 30-7-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
infra red for tracer rounds..

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jugtalicus

i was reading something about china has 640 missles on each cruiser boat...firing in salvos it said
so to defend against that......

top topics

join