It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bordergate? Obama admin intimidating witnesses in"Gunrunner/Fast and Furious" gun probe!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
ATS is one of the few "news" forums that have bothered to cover the scandal that has cost at least one, and possibly two, border law enforcement officers' lives, but the Washington Times and Reuters now appear to have broken free of the spell, and is reporting that the ATF and Jusitce Department are trying to hinder witness' testimony before a Congressional oversight committee.

The Obama administration sought to intimidate witnesses into not testifying to Congress on Tuesday about whether ATF knowingly allowed weapons, including assault rifles, to be “walked” into Mexico, the chairman of a House committee investigating the program said in an interview Monday.

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell E. Issa, California Republican, said at least two scheduled witnesses expected to be asked about a controversial weapons investigation known as “Fast and Furious”received warning letters from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to limit their testimony.

Issa: Obama admin intimidating witnesses in gun probe

At least 122 firearms from a botched U.S. undercover operation have been found at crime scenes in Mexico or intercepted en route to drug cartels there, according to a Republican congressional report being issued on Tuesday.

Mexican authorities found AK-47 assault rifles, powerful .50 caliber rifles and other weapons in late 2009 that were later linked to the U.S. sting operation to trace weapons going across the border to Mexico, the report said.

Guns from the program, dubbed "Operation Fast and Furious," also were found at the scene of the murder of a U.S. Border Patrol agent in the border state Arizona last December.

Guns from U.S. sting at crime scenes

Other, non-MSM news sited have covered this since it first broke, in depth.

Bordergate? Did Eric Holder lie to Congress? Does Obama know?

Eric Holder testified that he “probably” only learned about Gunrunner in “the last few weeks,” but took credit for it in 2009. President Obama, who provided $10 million "stimulus" money and $11 million for 2011, says neither of them knew about it

At a May 3 House Judiciary Committee hearing, Attorney General Holder, under questioning by House Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), testified that he had “probably” only learned about Operation Fast and Furious in “the last few weeks.”
However, Holder described in detail how Project Gunrunner would operate when he spoke to an anti-arms smuggling symposium April 2, 2009 in Cuernavaca, Mexico.

Nevertheless, President Obama in March told the Spanish language broadcaster, Univision, that his administration had nothing to do with distributing arms to the Mexican cartels.

The Gunrunner program was a significant part of the "stimulus" funding package that Obama pushed through Congress earli in his administration. Out of a total $40 million inspecial appropriations for law enforcement, one-quarter of it was for the Gunrunner projrct.
Obama signed the measure almost immediately after its passage

Bordergate? Did Eric Holder lie to Congress? Did Obama know?

ATS has been covering this for a long time, will the MSM finally be forced to give it the attention it is due?

ATS threads:

"Smoking Gun?" www.abovetopsecret.com...
"Dems obstructing probe" www.abovetopsecret.com...
"ATF out of control" www.abovetopsecret.com...
"Gunrunner paid for by Stimulus" www.abovetopsecret.com...
"Holder bragged" www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are dozens of stories, articles and threads; time to tie-up the loose ends!

jw

edit on 26-7-2011 by jdub297 because: link

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Oh cool... Why stick with just the gun charges when we can tack on witness tampering, hindering prosecution and obstruction of justice.

I guess when your going for felony charges, might as well go all the way.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Do you really see this going beyond a committee hearing?

If the testimony today pans-out, wouldn't there be enough for a special counsel to take over?

jw

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Do you really see this going beyond a committee hearing?

If the testimony today pans-out, wouldn't there be enough for a special counsel to take over?

jw

Being a federal agent was killed because of this program I would say yes.
Also, one of the head people for the program was summoned to a congressional hearing. The guy lied to that committee by saying they never allowed guns to cross the border.

Worst case scenario is our government refuses to act. In that case I completely support the Mexican Government to bring charges and request extradition.

Also, Congress can always appoint a special prosecutor for an independent investigation.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The Reuters story, abpout guns found at crime scenes, relates that a second officer may have been a victim, as well as dozens of Mexican citizens.

Why doesn't Calderon speak out?

jw

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
With fine folks like the OP, this story WON'T go away.

There's a couple of other folks on this site that deserve the same applause.

Keep that space on your shelf clear for that Nobel!

edit on 26-7-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

The Reuters story, abpout guns found at crime scenes, relates that a second officer may have been a victim, as well as dozens of Mexican citizens.

Why doesn't Calderon speak out?

jw

Because there is no Mexican national whose been on death row for 16 years....

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This just gets better and better and still the nightly news and the morning shows ignore it.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Holder knew long ago about this business and lied to congress. Certainly a special prosecutor is warranted to dig into this fiasco, but the AG, who ever they are have enormous amount of dirt on folks inside and outside the goverment and are very hard to bring down (or bring truth to light regarding their actions).

If he is dirty in this business, he'll resign to "spend more time with his family". Personally, I think Obama should have kiboshed Holder long ago. He also lied about the voting rights business where when they decided not to pursue the case against the Black Panthers who were swinging pipes around a polling place and clearly intimidating voters. Holder indicated that it was an individual investitator's call as to whether or not to pursue a given case. It came out weeks later that there was in fact a policy which originated in the AGs office instructing folks in that division not to pursue voter intimidation claims brought by Whites.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This just gets better and better and still the nightly news and the morning shows ignore it.

It seems that with more confidence in the House committee than in their bosses, ATF stafers are getting freer with their recollections, and the trickle of MSM news is growng along with it.

Senior ATF, Justice Dept officials ignored Mexico-based agents’ complaints, bragged about Fast and Furious successes

Senior Justice Department leadership in Washington ignored concerns Mexico-based Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) officials raised about the program, according to assertions made as part of the congressional investigation.
Former ATF attaché to Mexico, Darren Gil told Congressional investigators that, when he became aware of an “abnormal number of [Fast and Furious weapons] recoveries” in Mexico, he called Phoenix-based ATF officials with his concerns. Gil said they told him they were “working on it” and he was “satisfied” with that first response.
“Unfortunately, my chief analyst and my deputy would come back and say, Darren, these are – we’re getting more and more of these seizures,” Gil said. “And I would make inquiries with the Phoenix field division and I wasn’t getting any responses back.” He called Dan Kumor, ATF’s chief of international affairs, only to get a similar answer.
Gil said he wasn’t satisfied with the lack of answers from Washington-based officials, and got into “screaming matches” with Kumor. “Hey, when are they going to shut this, to put it bluntly, damn investigation down, we’re getting hurt down here,” Gil told Congressional investigators he’d scream at Kumor.

dailycaller.com...

ATS is in the vanguard here; if we spread the word, more "old line" media will have no choice but to follow.
This could be the undoing of a law-unto-itself adminstration and its DoJ policy goons.

jw

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Holder knew long ago about this business and lied to congress. Certainly a special prosecutor is warranted to dig into this fiasco, but the AG, who ever they are have enormous amount of dirt on folks inside and outside the goverment and are very hard to bring down (or bring truth to light regarding their actions).

Nixon lost his AG over a cover-up probe that he tried to derail, so I'm not concerned about perceived "power" in the office. The difference today is the lack of an interested and aggressive press; where's Obama's "Woodward and Bernstein?"

Once the "debt limit" BS dies off, maybe this story will get the atention it deserves.

jw

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Thats why im pushing for a special prosecutor. I dont trust Holder to perform an adequate investigation, especially if he is involved in it.

I saw a thread somewhere in here that actually had holder discussing this operation while he was in Mexico. I dont know why that video is not brought up and ran next to the video of holder denying he knew anything about.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This will never get the attention it deserves. IF anyone in the news wanted to bring this into mainstream light it would be there. It's been called out for some time now and the best it will be is in the end they will say "the conspiracy nuts were right" if they acknowledge it at all. I really hate to see it that way but I've seen it that way for years now. Thanks op and posters for keeping it alive.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Holder should never have been appointed in the first place. The guy has a long list of protecting racists, terrorists, and thugs. It was Holder who pushed for Clinton to pardon those Puerto Rican FALN terrorists in 1990s. He also led the push to pardon members of various Black supremacist groups.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
CBS News, which began an investigation in March, that sort of faded away, has re-entered the picture with revelations that ATF agents communicated directly with WH National Security staffers.

At a lengthy hearing on ATF's controversial gunwalking operation today, a key ATF manager told Congress he discussed the case with a White House National Security staffer as early as September 2010.
It's the first time anyone has publicly stated that a White House official had any familiarity with ATF's operation Fast and Furious, which allowed thousands of weapons to fall into the hands of suspected traffickers for Mexican drug cartels in an attempt to gain intelligence. It's unknown as to whether O'Reilly shared information with anybody else at the White House.

ATF Manager says he shared Fast and Furious Info with White House

So when will the rest of the MSM pick this up and do something with it? Or will a single outlet, like CBS, take the lead role, as happened with the "Pentagon Papers," or "Watergate" when they first ran?

jw

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I live 15 minutes south of Phoenix in Chandler and there was a drug cartel beheading about 1 mile from downtown Chandler on 10/10/2010. Martin Alejandro Cota-Monroy's head was found 3 feet from his body in a small apartment complex near Arizona Ave. Mexican Drug Cartel violence is a very serious problem here and we need your help.

When we tried last year to pass SB1070 to protect us, the federal govt not only prevented us from defending ourselves through the courts - but they also began aiding the enemy with the Gun Runner program and aiding in the murder of a Federal Agent, who was most likely murdered by one of the guns in the Dept of Justice's Gun Runner programs..

I am not a Constitutional lawyer but isn't that treason?

If AG Holder knew about it then could he be executed for treason?

If he didn't know about it then he is incompetent and not capable of his post in the administration... do we want to allow this human the ability to label someone an enemy combatant and order their execution without habeus corpus or due process (think Bin Laden)

I can name a number of citizens and peace officers killed in the last year that is the actual blood on the hands of our president. What has America come to?

Some say God bless America... I say America Bless God!

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Off-topic, but... Is anyone else getting really tired of the whole "-gate" suffixing?

Should we append all lost battles with "-loo"? Should embezzling corporations be saddled with "-ron"?

Just saying. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
edit on 28/7/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by brettrix

Ive been looking into this myself. So far I have:

- US Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry
- US Border Patrol Agent Michael Gallagher
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agent Jamie Zapata
- Larry Link (New Mexico rancher)
- Rob Krentz (Arizona rancher)

What about Phoenix Police Sgt. Sean Drenth? Wasent he killed under very suspicious circumstances?

Anyone else?
edit on 29-7-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

\Guess what! Another part of the MSM, a small poart, has now taken up the issue and ois turning its attention to Gunrunner/Fast & Furious, and the DoJ coverup.

Operation Fast and Furious -- the Obama administration's lethal gun-running fiasco -- keeps getting uglier and uglier.

In a series of hearings, Rep. Darrell Issa and Sen. Charles Grassley have been systematically dismantling the administration's preposterous claim that no one in the Justice Department -- which oversees the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- knew anything about the so-called gun-tracking operation.

A Justice Dept. 'Fast & Furious' coverup?

The tentacles are spreading, as are the Obama administration's desperation and lies.

We already knew that the debacle also involved the FBI and the DEA (both part of DoJ), but Newell also revealed that even more agencies were part of the program, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Homeland Security) and the IRS.

It gets worse. Issa and Grassley also have identified a dozen Justice Department officials who they say knew about the program, including former Deputy Attorney General David Ogden and Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer.

Yet President Obama insists that Holder & Co. knew nothing about it. "My attorney general has made clear that he certainly would not have ordered gun-running to be able to pass through into Mexico," he said last month.

www.nypost.com...

I can't help but watch as this gets closer and closer to the prevaricator in chief.

jw

Read more: www.nypost.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I thought that Holder and Co. were saying that this was a deliberate trade to follow the guns into Mexico and straight to the top of the cartel. Supposedly the guns were supposedly to have some sort of tracking system attached? Oops, they forgot to track them.
Wasn't this the original story?

So, now Holder is saying they knew NOTHING of the whole thing? Which is it?

I hope the whole lot of them Chicago gang bangers get nailed!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join