It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is it? a question to non believers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Why is it that.......

Most of you say you don't believe yet when something bad happens you pray?

I have met alot of people that don't believe in any religion yet when a loved one or friend or family member gets sick they pray for them to get better or if they die they reason that the person is in heaven?..... sounds slightly like selective believing.....

And I am not trying to stir up controversy because I am a Christian and I also nitpick that most Christians I have met will tell you every dead person they know is in heaven I have yet to hear anyone say oh so and so surely went to hell unless it was someone that offed themselves......

Matt

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A lot of non-confrontational atheists say they'll pray because it's what other people want to hear, and some people believe in a higher power who may listen to your needs, but not in the doctrine of established religions.

And others are, as you're hinting, lying to themselves about not believing.

(And some think, well, it can't hurt! There's no need to be so stubborn about your beliefs, that's against the spirit of open-mindedness!)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just because somebody prays doesn't mean they believe in God or Christianity. Deities come in many forms and belief systems.

I just spent some time in Thailand and observed the worship of Buddha with many Thai folk and it's no less valid or a 'real' prayer, just because it's not done the way a Christian does it.

I know a shaman who also prays over sick loved ones, but prays to many different deities from different cultures and what some Christians might refer to as demonic, but again, it doesn't negate or make his faith any less valid than yours.

Personally, I believe that prayer is communication with my higher self or my psyche - which is essentially my soul. But I do not subscribe to any Christian elements of my faith, nor will I ever. It simply makes no sense to me. With a higher self, I have freedom to master and navigate my own path in life and as I grow, so does the link between my conscious and spirit.

Prayer is prayer and your Christian friends are right - all their loved ones are in 'heaven' or an afterlife - if one believes in such a place. It simply makes no sense that an all loving God, is also a punisher and is happy to send somebody to eternal damnation for simply not doing what "he" says is right or wrong.

It's funny, with all my time spent with Thai people, buddhists, hindus, etc, I've never heard one of them ask why those "pesky Christians" believe in what they do and why a non-believer like me bothers to genuinely ask the Universe to let a loved one of mine receive healing - aka praying.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by StereoInferno
Just because somebody prays doesn't mean they believe in God or Christianity. Deities come in many forms and belief systems.

I just spent some time in Thailand and observed the worship of Buddha with many Thai folk and it's no less valid or a 'real' prayer, just because it's not done the way a Christian does it.

I know a shaman who also prays over sick loved ones, but prays to many different deities from different cultures and what some Christians might refer to as demonic, but again, it doesn't negate or make his faith any less valid than yours.

Personally, I believe that prayer is communication with my higher self or my psyche - which is essentially my soul. But I do not subscribe to any Christian elements of my faith, nor will I ever. It simply makes no sense to me. With a higher self, I have freedom to master and navigate my own path in life and as I grow, so does the link between my conscious and spirit.

Prayer is prayer and your Christian friends are right - all their loved ones are in 'heaven' or an afterlife - if one believes in such a place. It simply makes no sense that an all loving God, is also a punisher and is happy to see somebody to eternal damnation for simply not doing what "he" says is right or wrong.

It's funny, with all my time spent with Thai people, buddhists, hindus, etc, I've never heard one of them ask why those "pesky Christians" believe in what they do and why a non-believer like me bothers to genuinely ask the Universe to let a loved one of mine receive healing - aka praying.

I believe the same as you, I am not nor was I trying to say "why is it that non Christians" I distinctively said non believers of ANY religions or religious mindset..

If someone beileves in ANY deity in my opinion they have a religious/spiritual mindset thus making my question invalid. I am solely asking about completely non believing people its not a Christian versus everyone else question and I am sorry if it came across that way

edit on 7/26/2011 by XJMatt

I
because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/26/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XJMatt

You are making an assumption based on limited - your own - experience. I had a psych teacher in college tell me once when I made an observation based on my own anecdotal experience - you can never base anything on your own experience or the experience of your circle of acquaintances. That was 40 years ago -- he was right.
edit on 26-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

No I'm not, I'm sharing my opinion based on my own experiences.

Wait, were you talking to me? You quoted me but replied to somebody else.
edit on 26-7-2011 by StereoInferno because: (no reason given)

Arrgh... wrong again... jetlagged to hell

edit on 26-7-2011 by StereoInferno because: temporary lapse in brain function.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
reply to post by XJMatt

You are making an assumption based on limited - your own - experience.

And you're not?

I had a psych teacher in college tell me once when I made an observation based on my own anecdotal experience - you can never base anything on your own experience or the experience of your circle of acquaintances. That was 40 years ago -- he was right.

That right there is an observation based on your own experience.

edit on 26-7-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by StereoInferno
reply to post by spyder550

No I'm not, I'm sharing my opinion based on my own experiences.

Wait, were you talking to me? You quoted me but replied to somebody else.
edit on 26-7-2011 by StereoInferno because: (no reason given)

Arrgh... wrong again... jetlagged to hell

edit on 26-7-2011 by StereoInferno because: temporary lapse in brain function.

Sorry fixed that.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

My sample has gotten way bigger.

It has been my experience that the op is wrong, or has never been to many atheist's funerals.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sorry I fixed my qoute and reply above I accidentoy qouted and hit reply before actually writing a reply lol I'm on a tablet right now so typing is a little bit of a pita

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

reply to post by XJMatt

You are making an assumption based on limited - your own - experience. I had a psych teacher in college tell me once when I made an observation based on my own anecdotal experience - you can never base anything on your own experience or the experience of your circle of acquaintances. That was 40 years ago -- he was right.

This makes absolutely zero sense..... and he apparently was wrong......

So as an example if me and a friend got shot and I based it on our own experiance we didn't really get shot because we were the ones that experienced it???

I am hoping I read that wrong or misunderstood it...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

My sample...

It has been my experience....

Again, "an observation based on your own experience."

Pot, meet kettle.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by XJMatt

He is referrig to experiences that you can't show you experienced for example: I met Jay Cutler the #1 body builder last week. You'd probably not believe me unless I had something to show for it.

If you and a friend got shot by a random stranger, you'd be able to prove that would you not?

That's all that psych teacher meant by his quote.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

My sample has gotten way bigger.

It has been my experience that the op is wrong, or has never been to many atheist's funerals.

I don't go to funerals period

I don't need to go to a funeral to see an atheist pray or believe that their loved one went to heaven or an idea of heaven. It has been MY experience that my op was/is a factual occurrence by it factually occurring right in front of me on numerous occasions.

It is also my experience that you have nothing relavent to add to the topic at hand except what you experienced from your psych teacher.....and alas since I didn't experience it by your psych teachers own teaching you are wrong..... HAD I experienced it by those same teachings we would BOTH be wrong....
edit on 7/26/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

It still doesn't make my op any less relevant, maybe we should put the topic on hold until I get a picture and soundclip to add to the thread of an atheist praying and mentioning a loved one in heaven?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Whether I personally believe religiously does not have any sway on my decision to pray. I don't pray for me. In the event that the is a God, and if the person I am praying for is or was (if deceased) religious, I will pray for them or in their name. If there is a God, and I am praying for a religious person, I suspect that God would hear that prayer and understand that my desire is for that of the person I am praying for and not for me personally.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

Thank you this is exactley the kind of answers I was/am looking for. I am just trying to grasp what is happening in the persons mind at these times and you have painted a good picture for me

Matt

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XJMatt

Sure, a sound clip would prove your point. Im not sure what you're trying to prove by getting an atheist to admit s/he prays during a time of need.

Who says they are praying to your God? I could say a quip to myself to give me hope, strength, and the confidence to get thru my struggles without praying to a supreme being.

It seems arrogant, in my opinion, that you assume an atheist is "praying" to a God; especially yours.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

Ok you simply aren't reading or comprehending what I am asking.

You are arrogant in ASSUMING a non believer is a non Christian. If someone beileves in ANY deity they are a beleiver thus by very definition cannot be a NON believer. A non believer doesn't believe any ANY higher power or supreme being, that is where my question is aimed.

If you are trying to turn it into a Christian vs everyone else type question then "quick turn around your ignorance is showing"

Start at the top reread all posts comprehend them think then post back

Matt

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by XJMatt

Huh?

First of all, why are you as a Christian so hostile? I'm not showing disrespect. I'm giving you a different point of view. It just so happens to disagree with yours.

An atheist doesn't believe in a higher power but that doesn't mean they can't try to bring themselves back up when life gets them down. However, if one is praying in the biblical sense, and claims to be an atheist, then they're probably agnostic or may not be totally sure of what faith to choose.

I understand what you're saying but most atheists don't pray cause it's silly to them.

Go look up the definition of ignorance while you're at it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join