It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingerprint analysis tech aims to revolutionize drug testing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Fingerprint analysis tech aims to revolutionize drug testing

www.rawstory.com

A new technology that analyzes the sweat from a person's fingertips looks to revolutionize the drug testing market, providing on-site results in minutes with a test so advanced it can even detect marijuana intoxication.

Using gold nanoparticles and special antibodies, the tech produced by British firm Intelligent Fingerprinting latches on to metabolites on the fingerprint and turns a specific color depending on which drug byproducts are detected.

While it can be configured to search for
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Some say this may speed with the legalization of pot because law enforcement can perform sobriety tests on pot users.

Some say this will just add more innocent people into our ever swelling prison population.

Seems intrusive it can be configured to test for any drug. Very Orwellian no doubt. I have no information on false positive and/or the accuracy of the test.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i swear im gonna pull an Anders on parliment if this stuff ever gets used.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yay, more progress in putting people in jail!

Seriously, though, drug testing technology should be at the bottom of the #ing list of things we need to be inventing right now.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
"Pot" sobriety?

At what point has that become an issue?

Are people engaging in activities where "pot" sobriety is a contributing factor? Or is this just another method to bolster the hunt for crime?

Does this work with alcohol? If so, why not have it on the doorknob of every pub in the country?

As we can see by the thrust and focus this is about marijuana particularly, and again since this was a product displayed at a trade show specially focused on law enforcement, we can see the intent behind the device.

I am a little more than disappointed in the University College of London for developing a marketable tool which could help with 'drugs' and making it all about marijuana. As if your society (and mine) needed to pay more attention to that than raging drunken drivers and hopelessly addicted criminals.

Sad sad.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
the science of it is remarkable but when i think of its possible application in america i cringe --- the war on drugs has costed us so much has represented so many misplaced funds i hate to think of the rollout of more money for more drug detection in a "free" country --- i think it would be cooler (more helpful to society) if it detected std's that easily and quickly

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
They can't even control the epidemic of alcohol and the legally prescribed (pain pills!) drug epidemic in this country. Keep pushing you f'n morons and people are going to push back in a big way. I don't do any drugs, not even the legal ones, but I'll be damned if some stuffy ahole in a suit is going to tell me what I can or can't do to my body!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hmmm, our timeclock is the fingerprint style at my place of employment. I can see this all going mainstream pretty easily. A drugtest a day for all employees in the godforsaken name of effing "safety culture".

This is the pursuance of ignorance.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Personally I don't think you should be driving or operating heavy machinery while "high" on pot. That does not mean I support this tech I am just stating my opinion. Pot is, by far, less harmful than alcohol.

Is pot more likely to be decriminalized/legalized if cops are able to perform a reliable test to determine whether or not someone is high on pot while driving?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yay, more shiny gadgets! And I'm sure they'll just throw away all those collected fingerprints when they're done . . . yep!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Even I know that by handling paper money, I may get traces of coc aine or other substances on my fingers. How ridiculous to test for residue on fingerprints as a means to show drug use.

Sources:
Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

ETA: copy and paste the CNN article if you want to read it-- I've tried to link it 3 times and it keeps defaulting to some weird August 2009 page. This is what I am trying to link:

articles.cnn.com... aine.traces.money_1_coc aine-dollar-bills-paper-bills?_s=PM:HEALTH
edit on 7/26/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
How long does cannabis stay in the bloodstream for?? A month?

Any casual smoker will be getting pulled over by plod and be accused of Drug Driving..
Even though they may not have had a smoke..
This was the reason the roadside saliva tests for drugs got booted..

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I can understand testing drivers to make sure they aren't stoned while behind the wheel, but we all know this is going to be abused. Casual tokers will be tested and thrown in a cell just for walking around and minding their own business while high. There's absolutely no reason to "crack down" on public marijuana intoxication. Most people don't act any different when high and in a lot of cases you can't even tell that they just smoked. They are no threat at all to the public.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
OR instead of wasting money on useless research used to enslave more of the population by throwing them in for profit privately owned prisons that are paid for by the tax payers you could just... make the drugs legal like they used to be.
edit on 26-7-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
As many places I have worked -- I have never been drug tested. The companies had drug testing but they never seemed to get around to the white collar side of the shop.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Even I know that by handling paper money, I may get traces of coc aine or other substances on my fingers. How ridiculous to test for residue on fingerprints as a means to show drug use.

Sources:
Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

ETA: copy and paste the CNN article if you want to read it-- I've tried to link it 3 times and it keeps defaulting to some weird August 2009 page. This is what I am trying to link:

articles.cnn.com... aine.traces.money_1_coc aine-dollar-bills-paper-bills?_s=PM:HEALTH
edit on 7/26/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I was thinking. It's all over our money.
news.nationalgeographic.com... aine-money.html

Plus, marijuana stays in our systems for about a month, longer if someone is overweight, or has a slow metabolism.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I just saw this on CNN. It's positively mind-blowing. All I can say is that I won't volunteer a finger without a warrant or reasonable cause.

And I'm getting kind of tired of all the ways technology is used to analyze or define us.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
this seems like an intrusion of your personal rights and your privacy. it looks to me likes it is just one more step twords the world being like minority report

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Officer: You know why I stopped you...

You: Not really

Officer: You were 1mph over the speed limit

You: Really 1mph.......

Officer: Yes now put your thumb here....

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

My reply to the officer-

"Why dont you put your thumb up your butt and leave me alone"?

<<   2 >>

join