It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can children see Captain America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My five year old really wants to see Captain America. He is at an age where he adores super heros. But this films are always tentative. Some people say it is ok, some reviews say there are guns and shooting on every scene. So any experienced parent out there, yea or nay on Captain America.
And this is not for other film reviews. My interest in the film is mute.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hate these films. They are not aimed at small kids but the whole mechandise side of it is. As a parent then you feel guilty if you don't bring your kid to it because all his mates are going. I try my best to avoid them at this age. All these films are bringing in more and more violence. We don't notice it because we are so used to it.

Bring him to Kung Fu Panda 2 or look for a captain america cartoon DVD for him. But at 5 he is better off without been exposed to this muck.

(Women are usually just portrayed as objects/possesions in these films too. More brainwashing for him)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There is plenty of action and violence. But no blood or guts.

In the film people get shot and vaporized.
people fall to their death from great heights.

so if he can handle that you should be ok.
otherwise no.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It really depends on how mature your child is and if he can separate reality from what is on the screen. If that's the case then take him if you can afford the tickets these days.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think too much shooting going on here not to mention some questionable language..I had taken my son to see the newer transformers and like the others the human casualties were rather implied meaning that when a robot ran over a truck you didn't see the person go but I'm sure they were dead..In the newer transformer people were getting blasted by the decepticons and basically vaporized...I was kind of shocked but my mistake for taking my son to a pg13 movie and he's coming up on six and is a transformer fanatic...big whoops on my part..I heard from parents in my sons karate class that they were even displeased with the violence in the newer cars movie..

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
There is plenty of action and violence. But no blood or guts.

That's the worst of it really. The romantic love interest was really old-school and just involved a couple kisses. If you're unsure you might try out a review on a site like Common Sense Media. Normally they have all the details about why a movie was specifically good or bad for what age group. They're saying no for under 8 and iffy till about age 11.

www.commonsensemedia.org...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

They are pretty right on.

Captain America is a wholesome movie.
Probably the best thing about the Capt is that he embodies some of the best traits a person can aspire to.
And that's an awesome message you can show to your kids.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Handy website. Thanks for that.

The poster is right, parents are stuck in difficult situations where young kids are marketed too and want to see the movie.
but the movies are too mature for young kids.

I am not worried about the kissing or anything like that. Just the violence. From the gist of this thread I get basically a no.

Though my kid watches star wars and loves it and seems to be able to seperate reality from movies.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have a five year old too. On principle, he cannot see any PG-13 movies. That is my rule anyway.

CJ

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
No blood or nudity, two kisses. Army humor over the head of a 5 year old. The weapons used are ray guns and the bodies vanish when killed, there is the bad guy that looks like a red devil without a nose you could have nightmares about. A man dies from accident but the violence is not shown. I personally would not let him see it until you do beforehand, 5 years old is young and only you would know what he can take since it mainly would be about what other movies or video games does he plays/watchs.

AAAA+

Loved it and would recommend anyone over 8-10, very family friendly, great adaption from the comic for the old school buffs and although it starts slow it will be a major franchise once they [Thor, Capt America, Ironman, Hulk, Hawkeye, Nicky Fury and of course Black Widow] begin to unite for the mega battles. Spiderman, Wolverine, Daredevil, Deadpool, Black Panther, Squirrel Girl and She Hulk will make for good action movies for the next decade.... Woot Woot for making my childhood imagination become reality on the big screen.

top topics

join