It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking about buying myself a gun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I go shooting with some friends a few times per month, but I don't personally own any firearms... and this needs to change. I don't know very much about guns at all other than what I hear from my friends- who actually do know quite a lot.

I'm basically looking for something relatively cheap and fun. It doesn't have to be held to survival or self defense standards. I just want something that I'll enjoy shooting (so it must be pretty powerful
) and that'll be good for building up general accuracy. And also something that's not going to cost me a small fortune on the ammo.

Any suggestions are welcome.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

I am a new gun owner, got interested the same as you, shooting with friends.

I bought a Hi Point .45 ACP, it's inexpensive and I really enjoy it. Seemed like a great choice as a starter for me.

I'm thinking of buying a Mossberg Maverick 88 6 Shot Security next. My friend owns one and it's fun as hell to shoot.

I know these are cheap firearms, and more experienced gun owners are going to laugh at me for this.. But for my use which is purely recreation I really enjoy both of these weapons.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I get a Glock in .40S&W and one of those .22LR conversion kits so I could shoot 22LR and save at the range.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
No doubt about it: get a .45 caliber Colt-type single-action auto. Then, a .22 conversion, and lastly, a Marlin .45 caliber Camp Gun. That will cover most shooting, and keep your ammo exposure ($) to a minimum. Do NOT neglect having some gunsmithing done if the firearm does not feed and eject reliably out of the box - it is far better than the constant frustration of clearing jams, and will earn the respect of your shooting buddies.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ruger P95 9mm is probably something to check into....I love mine!

Relatively inexpensive with the same Ruger quality you would expect...9mm ammo is cheap and comes in enough different styles that power and ballistics are easily managed.

As an added bonus...it is equipped with a de-cock device and side ejection for the magazine on the right and left side....it is a great beginner gun...and will be with you long after you advance to professional shooter!

Just my thoughts...thanks for letting me share!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well if you are going to buy a gun, I would always take self defense and survivability into account. I mean if you are going to spend the money, do it right the first time.

Handgun or rifle, the best advice I can give you is go into a gun that your friends like and perhaps already have a relationship with and put your hands on all of them. Find the one that fits you most comfortably and feels best to you.

As far as brands, I have some recommendations depending on whether you are looking for a pistol or a rifle and depending on how far you want to shoot.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I appreciate all of your guys' responses.

But yeah, I honestly can't decide if I even want a handgun or a rifle. I think price, reliability/durability, and entertainment value are the biggest factors for me right now.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Yes, I agree. Some time ago, I went to a shooting class that involved various types of .22 rifles. I expected to like the lever-action .22, but didn't, and didn't expect to like the .22 pump, but did. The OP should try as many kinds of guns as he can before he settles.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Well I shot a Romanian SAR-3 Sunday and it has to be one of my favorites so far. It had more of an authentic military feel to it and it didn't jam once the whole time we were firing it (everyone in our group of about eight shot a full 30 rounds). The only problem I noticed was that the barrel got hot pretty fast... and stayed hot for awhile, lol.
edit on 7/26/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

That made me think of an old SKS...talk about a cheap and fun gun to own and shoot.

There is so much you can do to an SKS and the 7.62 x 39 mm rounds are dirt cheap...

An SKS with a few upgrades and a 30 round clip can be a blast on the shooting range...and this is one dependable tough gun.

Anyway the hot barrel made me think of an SKS for some reason.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I'll probably be looking into getting an SKS. I haven't shot any yet but they do seem to be really fun rifles.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I owned on about 10 years ago or so...I bought it at a pawn shop for $100 and a box of 1000 rounds for another $100 and a few months later upgraded to a folding fiber stock for about $75 and a few 30 round clips at about $15 a piece...in the end my overall investment was about $350 total and I shoot the piss out of that gun.

I could always find rounds on the Internet for about $100 per 1000 rounds or so...and never had a problem one with the gun...other than the get oil thirsty after a couple thousand rounds...(that's with any gun though)...other than that it was great...close up or 500 yard shots...it was dependable and fun.

I sold it later on for $1200 to a freind that loved it...so it was a worthy investment...I do miss it sometimes...but the extra money bought my first Wetherby...so cant really complain!

.270 Wetherby mag is a dream gun...well it was my dream gun and now I have one....so the old SKS has to be given some credit!

Anyway happy gun hunting...it will become a passion for you if you truly enjoy shooting!
edit on 26-7-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
While pistols have made leaps and bounds in terms of reliability it is still easy even likley for the user to render the firearm useless due to the stress of the moment when defending your life.

I would recommend a smith & wesson 686 7 shot revolver or Ruger sp101...fires 358 mag and 38. Point pull trigger and it goes bang...every time....no matter the loss of fine motor skills ans the tremendous stress you will experience in that type of situation.
edit on 7/26/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I'm gonna agree w/ Jerry on the Ruger P95 9mm! It's a quality built handgun and can be picked up around the $300 mark. This will be a versatile starter gun for you, 9mm ammo is affordable and it is also a great home defense option.
I don't know why people are recommending 45ACP for your first firearm, the guns themselves are more expensive and ammunition is not cheap, comparatively speaking.

9mm is a perfect starter gun, if you have the extra ching go for a Glock. I have a G17 in 9mm and absolutely love it! You can also get the .22 conversion for any Glock set up for even more affordable plinking.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
But yeah, I honestly can't decide if I even want a handgun or a rifle. I think price, reliability/durability, and entertainment value are the biggest factors for me right now.

Are you looking for fun or something to protect your life?

You fire a rifle in self defense you will be liable for possibly killing your neighbor and his neighbor. They are extremely powerful and siding/drywall don't come close to stopping or slowing the projectile.

Revolvers are fun as heck and the ammo is cheaper too so you can shoot hem more often.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

Are you looking for fun or something to protect your life?

You fire a rifle in self defense you will be liable for possibly killing your neighbor and his neighbor. They are extremely powerful and siding/drywall don't come close to stopping or slowing the projectile.

Revolvers are fun as heck and the ammo is cheaper too so you can shoot hem more often.

Yeah, I just want something that's fun to shoot and good for building skill. I'm not too concerned about self defense because I live in Amish country where the only "crime" around here is not paying a parking fine.

I REALLY love playing around with revolvers. Its nice to be able to load a gun in a couple seconds as opposed to a minute or two messing with a magazine.
edit on 7/26/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'll throw my hat in the ring for a 9mm system as well. Other than .22lr or 12 gauge birdshot it is about the cheapest ammo you can buy since it is so common. One option would be a Kel Tec Sub 2000 carbine rifle. It is very light at 4.5lbs unloaded and cheap at around $349. You can buy one that comes in a variety of magazine wells so they are compatible with a wide range of handgun magazines. The most common is probably the Glock model. Glock 9mm magazines come in sizes from 10 rounds to 33 rounds. The Sub 2000 is then a great companion to a Glock 17/19 if you decide to get a handgun too. As they take the same magazines it will save you money, except those big 33 rounders won't be to concealable in the handgun, lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Can't go wrong with a Glock or a Sig Sauer.

Both make very high quality, precise weaponry that I have rarely had any problems with. Personally I prefer Sigs, but Glock is a close second for me. Check out the P226 if you wanna get started with a Sig.

Khar

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

the best choice IMO is a smith and wesson model 19 .357.. will also shoot .38 ... plus out of all pistol cartridges, the .357 has unbelievable penetration!!

there is no better revolver than S&W.. you can get aused one for a couple hundred... doesn't jam, simple easy to learn..and oh so silky smooove

no feed issues as semi's , no mags.

or the SKS is THE CGW (cant go wrong) OF ALL TIME.. kinda like how every tool box needs a hammer

before you know it, you'll have a rifle, handgun, shotty, and THEN the obsession kicks into HIGH gear

edit on 26-7-2011 by rebeldog because: wasn't done yet

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

I get a Glock in .40S&W and one of those .22LR conversion kits so I could shoot 22LR and save at the range.

Those Glocks have a problem in a gunfight. You have to reacquire your target after each shot. The gun frame is too light. I have a .44 Remington Revolver. I can fire 6 and stay right on target, the gun is heavy enough to absorb the recoil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join