It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin: Walker Shuts Down DMV Offices in Democratic Areas After Passing Voter ID Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Well this definitely qualifies as "Political Madness."

I think Governor Walker is taking a page from the G.W. Bush Political Playbook.

This is just another example of the GOP in Wisconsin transgressing norms. The partisanship at work here is so transparently obvious. In Democratic areas, DMV offices are closing. In Republican areas, they’re expanding their hours. And it comes right at a time when thousands of Wisconsin voters who don’t have a picture ID need to visit a DMV. This is just full-on voter suppression.

Wisconsin: Walker Shuts Down DMV Offices in Democratic Areas After Passing Voter ID Law

I know Voter ID is often painted as a very partisan issue, but I am fairly conservative and am completely against these types of laws. Voter ID has the ability to hinder the democratic process through subversion as this situation clearly demonstrates. Scott Walker is about as crooked as they come - methinks it's time for him to go.

More...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
PFFFF You really think the Democrats wouldn't do this if they had thought of it first?! That makes it OK for the GOP; we are in a war here, don'tcha know?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

If a Democrat had done this my post would look nearly identical. These dirty games do nothing for freedom, liberty, justice, democracy..

I will point out corruption wherever I see it - It's not a partisan issue to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
State is closing the temp center in Ft Atkinson since the town only has 11,000 while Watertown has 23,000 population. In 2008 presidential election, Ft. Atkinson voting was 50% democrat, 49% Republican, balanced party. So saying democrats are being targeted is totally wrong.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
PFFFF You really think the Democrats wouldn't do this if they had thought of it first?! That makes it OK for the GOP; we are in a war here, don'tcha know?

Sorry, was not aware that the second American Civil War had kicked off. Must have been in the can.

Considering I have liberal friends, as well as conservative friends, I'm going to keep my head low at the next poker game when the bullets fly.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chuckk
State is closing the temp center in Ft Atkinson since the town only has 11,000 while Watertown has 23,000 population. In 2008 presidential election, Ft. Atkinson voting was 50% democrat, 49% Republican, balanced party. So saying democrats are being targeted is totally wrong.

Good info, thanks.

The article mentions the plan is to close 10 DMV locations, but the requirement is to have at least one location in every county open for 20 hours a week. Do you have any information on the other DMV locations to be closed and the voting statistics for those districts?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Here is the source article to the OPs opinion piece that is presented. Wis. DMV says closure decisions aren't final

From the article above, it seems the opinion writer has formulated a large amount of speculation based on one quote,

One Democratic lawmaker [Rep. Andy Jorgensen, D-Fort Atkinson] said Friday it appeared the decisions were based on politics, with the department targeting offices for closure in Democratic areas and expanding hours for those in Republican districts.

The article continues to state that Rep. Jorgensen is calling on the Wis. DOT "to reconsider its plants to close the Fort Atkinson DMV center. The department plans to expand by four hours a week the hours of a center about 30 minutes away in Watertown."

While I was researching for a response, I found out that Fort Atkinson, WI has a population of about 12,000. Their median income is approx. $50,000/year (above WI. median income and certainly not part of the "poor disenfranchised voters". The average age is 36, and while they do have elderly within Fort Atkinson, we see that from the 2000 census (2010 data unavailable), is about 12% of their population.

As for their political leanings, I am not sure what Rep. Jorgensen is getting at. According to Jefferson County Election Results, Fort Atkinson has a party preference of Republican. The 2nd Congressional District, which Fort Atkinson is apart of, has two Republican and one Democratic representative. All wards in Fort Atkinson show support for Gov. Walker.

Interestingly, the OP article conveniently left out the rebuttal comment made by a Wis. DOT official that politics are not at play. Of course, this isn't to say one way or another, but if we are to be informed citizens, stop sourcing opinion pieces that are putting "partisanship at work here" as Mr. Dayden says in the OP article.

Mr. Dayden then continues, in a bit of irony considering his view and stance upon this issue by saying "[T]he partisanship at work here is so transparently obvious. In Democratic areas, DMV offices are closing. In Republican areas, they’re expanding their hours."

If this is true Mr. Dayden, then how come the Fort Atkinson area, according to election data, vote heavily in the Republican party? If what you say Mr. Dayden, through crafty wording by blanketing your statement to take one representative's quote, about a specific area and turn it into what your article is spewing; a big horse's hockey puck.

I doubt 5% of those that read your post, the article and even my response will even move beyond the emotional knee-jerk reaction that Mr. Dayden intended to receive and fail to use their brains. ATS posters are notorious for posting opinion pieces as fact and truth.

edit on 26-7-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Fixed some data and link to reflect a better cross-section of data.

edit on 26-7-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Typos

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Interesting that after two days from posting my above response that the knee jerk reactionaries stopped. I commend those who took the time to read what I wrote. Basing our opinions upon another individual opinion serve no greater good in obtaining the truth.

new topics

top topics

join